"The Shoe Bubble"

Basically...

1. Why do you think that the "Shoe Game" (for intensive purposes) has grown so much popularity over the last 2 years?

2. Will it ever end? If so, when? 

--> Not necessarily a specific date or time. But possibly when something ceases to exist, or a value is not held as highly. (i.e. celebrities wearing Jordans and/or companies doing exclusive callabos)

*I understand that many NT'ers don't believe in the idea of the "Shoe Game" but for the purpose of the thread, comply please. You can state that you don't believe in it but please refrain from elaborating.

Discuss please...
intents and purposes* ?

I definitely agree with the majority of you. To some degree the hype has died down. I expect it to rise with the bred release and then die down again in similar fashion. I doubt that it will ever be as easy to cop kicks as it was around 8-10 years ago with how integrated the market is with our everyday life. I'm hopeful that this bubble will follow the same pattern as the AF1 and the sb market. We thrive and struggle through a series of cycles but the one's that stay around are the one's that are in it for the right reasons.

Says the dude selling Yeezy's for $2,500 in his sig. I'd think you'd want the bubble to last forever.

what i have for sale is not for you

in 2009 and 2010 yeah there was line ups for major releases but
back in late 2008 & 2009 prices dropped on a lot of older releases and the mayhem that you have to go through to get a New GR now was never around 3 years ago

so that's why i want the shoe bubble to pop

Last edited:
I definitely agree with the majority of you. To some degree the hype has died down. I expect it to rise with the bred release and then die down again in similar fashion. I doubt that it will ever be as easy to cop kicks as it was around 8-10 years ago with how integrated the market is with our everyday life. I'm hopeful that this bubble will follow the same pattern as the AF1 and the sb market. We thrive and struggle through a series of cycles but the one's that stay around are the one's that are in it for the right reasons.

In my area the hype has died down a lot. Less and less are rocking Jordan's and everybody is on all black vans now. No matter where I go the people who I remember because they used to have some heat are wearing black vans. It gives me a little hope for the future

But don't you think once celebs get tired of J's, they'll stop twitpic(ing) and the young sheep will follow the next trend. (i.e. every rapper in the 2000's rocking jerseys, there were at least 5 stores dedicated to jerseys in the mall, now we're lucky to find One)

No because J's are always going to be hot to some extent. Celebs were always rocking j's it's just that we didn't have the tools (twitter , facebook etc ) to see them . Celebs didn't just now start rocking j's. Jeresey's unlike j's faded away a lil . even before the shoe game got like it is now there were still releases that brought everybody out. right now every release brings everybody out . and it's not just j's it's the bron's , kobe's , durant's etc

Yes I also understand where you are coming from. While student loan money is of course their own to choose how they would like to spend it, it is just sad for me to see money for the future get used to gain a higher social rank rather than the way it was originally intended. It is hard not to come off as judgmental though, I understand. Trust me, I have made plenty of regrettable financial decisions regarding shoes myself, as has everyone else.

that's the biggest wtf to me . where are all these kids getting this money from to buy every release ? before we got to where we are now I would be like this should be a easy cop because such and such just dropped . so i was thinking eventually people pockets would start feeling it but nope i was wrong. :smh:

that's the biggest wtf to me . where are all these kids getting this money from to buy every release ? before we got to where we are now I would be like this should be a easy cop because such and such just dropped . so i was thinking eventually people pockets would start feeling it but nope i was wrong. :smh:

A lot of people rob Peter to pay Paul. Buy a shoe - rock it once (or even worse, take a picture of it) - and then sell it to re-up for the next release. Half the time, I don't take people's "collection" pics seriously if I don't see group shots. ...It's not a collection if you don't have them all at one time.

Somebody needs to take advantage of this model on the bag, borrow, steal tip for dudes and just rent hot releases and limited kicks, since essentially a ton of people are already doing that themselves. This way, they can save the leg work of the buy/sell, and you can charge a bit extra to do that, and the person renting the shoe doesn't have to put as much money down to be tied up in the commodity. ...I mean, this would be the apotheosis of the desecration of the hobby, but it would probably be a viable business model for somebody who was just out to make money off the culture and didn't care.

...Paging Steve from ISS.

Last edited:
Trust me, I have made plenty of regrettable financial decisions regarding shoes myself, as has everyone else.

^One of the realest things I've seen posted on this site, ESP. in this forum, IMO.

I'd be str8 LYING if I said I wasn't in that category.
Kinda'scary, to me, how a hobby or interest can turn addiction if you let it.
..I STILL fight w/it from time to time, honestly. :smh:

The bubble will pop when people stop buying these shoes at high resale prices.  Then resellers will realize there's no money to be made in "the game" and finally offload all their DS's to make more room in their parent's house. 

i agree its a cycle...jordans will always be relevant but not to the hyped-up extent that it is today. hopefully, it does soon...i got alotta ish i wanna cop from years past without paying 2x retail...smh:smh:

The JB bubble will pop one day but it'll just shift to something else, probably the lebron retros down the line if he gets a hand full of rings, either way they dope though

Says the dude selling Yeezy's for $2,500 in his sig. I'd think you'd want the bubble to last forever.

In my area the hype has died down a lot. Less and less are rocking Jordan's and everybody is on all black vans now. No matter where I go the people who I remember because they used to have some heat are wearing black vans. It gives me a little hope for the future
I know what you are saying. Black vans are "in". Same with the hope for the future. These 9's that are releasing are a must for me and I just want them to be a fairly easy cop.

The shoe bubble will burst once people stop giving in to these stupid resale prices. I understand that resellers gotta eat, but us, the consumer, has to put our foot down and stop paying 2x the retail price. Nike is already charging us too much for shoes that costed 50 dollars less a decade ago.

The bubble will pop when people stop buying these shoes at high resale prices.  Then resellers will realize there's no money to be made in "the game" and finally offload all their DS's to make more room in their parent's house. 

I doubt people will ever stop paying over retail. Shoes like yeezys will be slow but not everyone has $2000 to spend on sneakers

duh look like the bubble still strong. they selling those bred 11s at flightclub like recession never happened..

I've sold a lot of my shoes over the last year, the concord release really made me hate sneakers after my wife got pushed out of the way before footaction's gate was opened last year. This was the same footaction that two years prior I showed up 2 hours after they opened and walked out with 2 pairs of space jams in less time than it would take me to order a pretzel. I'm not leaving my house Friday so if eastbay doesn't work than screw it.

I've sold a lot of my shoes over the last year, the concord release really made me hate sneakers after my wife got pushed out of the way before footaction's gate was opened last year. This was the same footaction that two years prior I showed up 2 hours after they opened and walked out with 2 pairs of space jams in less time than it would take me to order a pretzel. I'm not leaving my house Friday so if eastbay doesn't work than screw it.
Wow smh^ thats very messed up that your wife was pushed out of the way. No respect man and alot of people get caught up over the hype for mesh, patent leather and translucent soles. I know that MJ wore them but goodness its not that big of a deal. People need to show some respect.

Back
Top Bottom