the thread about nothing...

weekend.jpeg

Wasn’t there an Nter who said he wanted to start a shoe renting business? I know there were ton of questions like, “what if they don’t return the shoes”, “what if they trash them”, etc...

These shoes were 💩.
I remember in HS, this kid got crossed up in these and they fell apart.
He said a Retro is coming, thanks but no thanks.

American society has been on the decline for quite sometime, it’s has surpassed the decline imo and probably will never rebound.
You don’t see this decline as a good thing? I’m looking at the numbers, and then who is actually in panic mode. I feel pretty good about what I’m seeing! American society has never been good for the right people.

Why do you say that? Are you saying Filipinos are materialistic? Superficial?
Typical Filipino parents could care less about your mental well-being. They are focused simply on success in school and recognition to ensure their child gets into a good school with a program that would guide them to a successful career that leads to wealth. (Majority of the time, Nursing or a Doctorate program)

They don’t care that you’re stressed out, burnt out, and overwhelmed with school. They always expect you to do better and ensure your energy is focused on studying and not extra-curricular activities

And when you finally do succeed and reach your goals, a lot of kids don’t get the recognition/praise they deserve. They focus on the next step of their life plan.
When it comes to marriages many try to revert to traditional way of ensuring the guy has a plan and stable career to provide for their daughter. Best believe that you will judged/ridiculed if the guy doesn’t have a career in a field that they don’t think would make a lot of money. And there's a good chance the parents are racists too and will expect their child to marry only within their ethnicity.

it’s a weird dynamic and a total mind **** growing up. I’ve had a friend commit suicide because of their over-bearing parents. Even when he died, they put their overbearing teachings to his younger brother. I looked out for him because I know he had a lot of feelings that he was holding onto inside from losing his brother.

My wife's parents were overbearing and non-supportive of any of her extra curricular activities in HS. They always wanted her to stay home and make sure she gets A's in everything. Funny thing is, we just moved in with the in-laws and her dad tried telling her to not leave the house until I got home from work. So stupid. They act like we didn't live on our own and raise two kids away from them.

I was fortunate enough to have my dad support me in sports. My mom was cheap and had a hard time wanting to buy me cleats or any sports-related equipment.

Again, not ALL Filipinos are superficial and/or materialistic. But there is a large percentage that only care about status and the clothes/shoes they have on.

Typical Filipino parents could care less about your mental well-being. They are focused simply on success in school and recognition to ensure their child gets into a good school with a program that would guide them to a successful career that leads to wealth. (Majority of the time, Nursing or a Doctorate program)

They don’t care that you’re stressed out, burnt out, and overwhelmed with school. They always expect you to do better and ensure your energy is focused on studying and not extra-curricular activities

And when you finally do succeed and reach your goals, a lot of kids don’t get the recognition/praise they deserve. They focus on the next step of their life plan.
When it comes to marriages many try to revert to traditional way of ensuring the guy has a plan and stable career to provide for their daughter. Best believe that you will judged/ridiculed if the guy doesn’t have a career in a field that they don’t think would make a lot of money. And there's a good chance the parents are racists too and will expect their child to marry only within their ethnicity.

it’s a weird dynamic and a total mind **** growing up. I’ve had a friend commit suicide because of their over-bearing parents. Even when he died, they put their overbearing teachings to his younger brother. I looked out for him because I know he had a lot of feelings that he was holding onto inside from losing his brother.

My wife's parents were overbearing and non-supportive of any of her extra curricular activities in HS. They always wanted her to stay home and make sure she gets A's in everything. Funny thing is, we just moved in with the in-laws and her dad tried telling her to not leave the house until I got home from work. So stupid. They act like we didn't live on our own and raise two kids away from them.

I was fortunate enough to have my dad support me in sports. My mom was cheap and had a hard time wanting to buy me cleats or any sports-related equipment.

Again, not ALL Filipinos are superficial and/or materialistic. But there is a large percentage that only care about status and the clothes/shoes they have on.
That sounds worse than other Asian families. I didn’t know Filipino families was so strict. I grew up pretty much in SL after moving from Oakland in the 4th grade. There was a lot of Filipinos in the area and I knew/hung out with a lot of them. I know they always have nice clothes and care about popularity but i don’t think I’ve ever heard them complaining about their parents being strict and controlling. They all seemed pretty spoiled and did whatever they wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa...that sounds worse than other Asian families. I didn’t know Filipino families was so strict. I grew up pretty much in SL after moving from Oakland in the 4th grade. There was a lot of Filipinos in the area and I knew/hung out with a lot of them. I know they always have nice clothes and care about popularity but i don’t think I’ve ever heard about their parents being so strict and controlling. They all seemed pretty spoiled and did whatever they wanted.
Yeah, it's really common. My mom would get pissed at me when I came home with a 2.5 GPA and would try and get my dad to spank me with a belt for punishment. But my dad clapped back at my mom and was like "why are you getting mad? Do you even help him with his homework or ask how school is going?" Silence from my mom. From that point on, my mom emphasized that she wanted me to graduate HS, get a college degree, and get a good paying full-time job.

I remember my wife's dad tripping out when he found out that my wife had to take elective classes that had nothing to do with nursing. He was legit going to go to campus and complain to the dean and demand a change. :rofl:He was such an ******* back then, but he's mellowed out a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom