the thread about nothing...

d1ae7b0feebb5a68891dcf519cefa3f1c623928e2e383cad3e7c7260bed8ca76_1.jpg

very cool you’re into woodworking man. Is that something that you were taught from parents or did you just get the idea to pick up the hobby one day on your own? What got you started?
Definitely not parents.
I wish I could get financial advice from my sperm donor & incubator, or any advice.
Got me out here winging it every step of the way.
Parents? Tuh.
😬😬😬😬

tl,dr: 8th grade wood shop gave a juvenile foster kid a sense of pride that nothing else ever had.

So I grew up in foster homes/juvenile detention centers/etc.
I remember being in 8th grade wood shop, the first time I was ever in a setting where someone was showing me how to use any sort of tool... at all.
For our final project, we had to make these old trucks.
Here's mine:
20240820_122708.jpg

This may sound corny, but I had never been proud of anything until this truck, and the next time was when my son was born in 2007.
In 8th grade, I had a huge problem stealing (and fighting everybody, but that's not relevant). I couldn't walk into a store without coming out with something unpaid. I'd steal stuff that I didn't even know what it was.
But this truck, I didn't steal that. An actual shop teacher worked with me on how to use a bandsaw, rubber mallet, wood glue, disc grinder, table saw; all of the things.
I made that.
 Like I would feel pride swiping a couple
Discmans no problem, but it was a cheap sense of pride because I could've worked and paid for them with $200. Stealing them was easier, and the thrill of not getting caught was a rush, but there was another way: Earn the money and buy it.
There's no other way around earning pride in something you made with your hands; there is no shortcut.

I've moved probably 50 times in my life, and I always package this truck carefully.
I've always wanted to get back into making sawdust, so when I bought a house back into 2021, I converted this sunroom in the back of the carport into my little shop.

20240820_124105.jpg

Definitely not parents.

😬😬😬😬

tl,dr: 8th grade wood shop gave a juvenile foster kid a sense of pride that nothing else ever had.

So I grew up in foster homes/juvenile detention centers/etc.
I remember being in 8th grade wood shop, the first time I was ever in a setting where someone was showing me how to use any sort of tool... at all.
For our final project, we had to make these old trucks.
Here's mine:
20240820_122708.jpg

This may sound corny, but I had never been proud of anything until this truck, and the next time was when my son was born in 2007.
In 8th grade, I had a huge problem stealing (and fighting everybody, but that's not relevant). I couldn't walk into a store without coming out with something unpaid. I'd steal stuff that I didn't even know what it was.
But this truck, I didn't steal that. An actual shop teacher worked with me on how to use a bandsaw, rubber mallet, wood glue, disc grinder, table saw; all of the things.
I made that.
 Like I would feel pride swiping a couple
Discmans no problem, but it was a cheap sense of pride because I could've worked and paid for them with $200. Stealing them was easier, and the thrill of not getting caught was a rush, but there was another way: Earn the money and buy it.
There's no other way around earning pride in something you made with your hands; there is no shortcut.

I've moved probably 50 times in my life, and I always package this truck carefully.
I've always wanted to get back into making sawdust, so when I bought a house back into 2021, I converted this sunroom in the back of the carport into my little shop.

20240820_124105.jpg

Bro, thank you so much for sharing your story. As an adopted kid, this inspires the hell out of me. Super cool to see that you’ve gravitated towards something as fulfilling as woodwork. Def something you EARNED and nobody can take from you.

I always felt that show was a Malcolm in the Middle ripoff.
I thought so too, It had that off beat calamity humor. Just look at the titles, they’re not trying to hide it 😂 “Malcolm in the middle” and “The Middle”

darthska darthska I got a cheaper solution if you’re still going to make a light box for your sneaker restorations. Pick up a used fish tank/reptile tank at a yard sale or thrift store. Wrap the outside (And bottom side) with the shinny side of aluminum foil. Rig up some UV lights over the top and you should be good.
F6F533C2-AB10-4F68-AB58-4F8DA8315DFF.jpeg
146F9427-7860-495E-835B-30A37F5E18D0.jpeg

The UV lights I’m talking about are on eBay and they have them in different wattage.
97C315D2-73FF-4695-AFBA-1F2F766728FD.jpeg

Bro, thank you so much for sharing your story. As an adopted kid, this inspires the hell out of me. Super cool to see that you’ve gravitated towards something as fulfilling as woodwork. Def something you EARNED and nobody can take from you.
Agreed. I wasn’t adopted or anything but this whole discussion contained some interesting insights.

My Ross is always bogus af, I swear.
🤣🤦🏻‍♂️
20240819_190120.jpg

Not a COTDAMB thing.
Looked all through the 10.5... and 10... and 11.
Dry af.
Whatever. I'm out...

*still peeking at the shelves... like it's possible to miss mint green & bright red shoes* 🤣

Yeahno... let me bounce.

Wayminit...
👀
20240819_190504.jpg

I mean this is the size 7 section. 😬
I couldn't FATHOM trying to squeeze into...
20240819_190519.jpg

WUT?!
HOLD UP...

20240819_190655.jpg

(It happened exactly like this, too. I took the original panorama pic with the intention that would be the only pic, end of story.)

This post*chefs kiss*

Felt like I was there...I audibly gasped when you posted that 10.5 sticker lol.

This place needs a Marshalls/tj maxx/ross/goodwill finds thread.

In a previous life, about once a month i would hit 5 - 8 Marshall's on a Saturday trying to come up Ralph Lauren polo's for work.

darthska darthska I got a cheaper solution if you’re still going to make a light box for your sneaker restorations. Pick up a used fish tank/reptile tank at a yard sale or thrift store. Wrap the outside (And bottom side) with the shinny side of aluminum foil. Rig up some UV lights over the top and you should be good.
F6F533C2-AB10-4F68-AB58-4F8DA8315DFF.jpeg
146F9427-7860-495E-835B-30A37F5E18D0.jpeg

The UV lights I’m talking about are on eBay and they have them in different wattage.
97C315D2-73FF-4695-AFBA-1F2F766728FD.jpeg
BBBBRRROOOOO!!!!!
That's the ticket!
I never buy electronics online, though.
😂😬¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I'll get them from Lowe's.
Thank you!!!!

Guess my ginger cat Junior lived to see another day while fighting for his life. The vet had to forcibly drain his bladder though.

A couple days ago, “Junior” started walking slightly off balance and I made an appointment with a Veterinarian asap. Yesterday morning though, Junior lost all functionality in his lower legs and seemed his joyful persona barely remained…

I immediately took him to the vet for emergency treatment and it turned out he has a large embolism in his back that appears to be spreading and shutting down more and more bodily functions.

The Vet said the blood thinner treatment has a small chance to grant a near full recovery because she can tell Junior still feels sensation in the limbs he can’t move.

However she said that we can only hope the bloodthinner treat works, otherwise “he’ll have passed away by the end of this week due to eventual organ failure.

Feels like **** man, and I’m not gonna delude myself into putting my faith in a miraculous recovery…

The Vet was gonna call for a status update once or more a day, and today’s call was about Junior now requiring a bladder tube because his bladder stopped working.
Not the worst news I guess, though he could still pee naturally yesterday.

I have 2 other cats but idk how I’d feel losing Junior. He was an abandoned stray that I took in about a decade ago and he quickly learned to get along very well

Here’s Diesel chilling with Junior
IMG_6443.jpeg

He gets along particularly well with Diesel, and vice-versa
IMG_6444.jpeg

IMG_6445.jpeg

Last edited:
What are you implying? I have a slight assumption but I didn't want to hop out there with an assumption.
I think the issue in that conversation is an ‘Us’ thing. Was it you who posted the “Popeyes Effect” video or was that a stray I caught on YT?

Belgium Belgium I'm so sorry to hear about your pet’s condition 🙁
I appreciate it man. Personally I’ve kinda resigned myself to the reality he’s not making it. The vet literally described the last chance treatment as “do or die” and the loss of function seemed to advance faster than they expected. I’m mainly just keeping up appearances for my mom, who discovered and raised him from a stray into a well behaved house cat.

I don’t have any issues turning my emotions off but my mom’s been crying all day. She was originally the one who found Junior as a dirty stray cat and raised him. At the start he wouldn’t even come in my field of view.

Guess my ginger cat Junior lived to see another day while fighting for his life. The vet had to forcibly drain his bladder though.

A couple days ago, “Junior” started walking slightly off balance and I made an appointment with a Veterinarian asap. Yesterday morning though, Junior lost all functionality in his lower legs and seemed his joyful persona barely remained…

I immediately took him to the vet for emergency treatment and it turned out he has a large embolism in his back that appears to be spreading and shutting down more and more bodily functions.

The Vet said the blood thinner treatment has a small chance to grant a near full recovery because she can tell Junior still feels sensation in the limbs he can’t move.

However she said that we can only hope the bloodthinner treat works, otherwise “he’ll have passed away by the end of this week due to eventual organ failure.

Feels like **** man, and I’m not gonna delude myself into putting my faith in a miraculous recovery…

The Vet was gonna call for a status update once or more a day, and today’s call was about Junior now requiring a bladder tube because his bladder stopped working.
Not the worst news I guess, though he could still pee naturally yesterday.

I have 2 other cats but idk how I’d feel losing Junior. He was an abandoned stray that I took in about a decade ago and he quickly learned to get along very well

Here’s Diesel chilling with Junior
IMG_6443.jpeg

He gets along particularly well with Diesel, and vice-versa
IMG_6444.jpeg

IMG_6445.jpeg

Firstly damn that sucks to hear. Secondly, isnt this all wildly expensive?

Firstly damn that sucks to hear. Secondly, isnt this all wildly expensive?
Nah I’m not expecting any serious bills. The bill for the veterinary checkup was €60. They scanned him and found the embolism right away.

The only possible solution is giving him blood thinners to try and unclog the embolism. So definitely not some expensive treatment. A minor surgery could become an option if the blood thinners remove enough of the spread.

They did have to empty his bladder through a catheter yesterday because he lost the ability to pee. I don’t expect that to be all that expensive either.

They tested his sensation in the paralyzed parts and he can still feel, just not control those parts due to the spreading of blood clots. So in theory he will fully recover if he miraculously beats the embolism.

Judging by past experiences, I’m guessing the total bills will amount to $300-500 at most. If surgery becomes an option, add around $600 to that total.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom