The thread about nothing

ayo, anything can happen
you can't stop the shinin'
you lookin' at my watch, but my mind's really the diamond

Mixerfriendly_rap_History_poster.jpg

dilla-weekend-flyer.jpg

With February creeping right around the corner, it means that it's that time of the year where heads celebrate Dilla's life, music and legacy. Except, instead of holding Dilla Day weekend in Detroit as they've done for so many years, Ma Dukes and company have decided to bring the event to warmer climates: Miami, Florida.

Taking place Feb. 5th through the 8th, the event will feature a line-up which includes Joey Bad*****, Pete Rock, Talib Kweli, Slum Village, Madlib, Black Milk, ESTA, Camp Lo, local Miami artists and more.
A limited run of early bird tickets are now available for $66, which gets you access to all Dilla Day Weekend events and concerts (note some concerts are 21+).

In addition to performances, there will be producer panels, BBQs, artist meet and greets, and other Dilla-related events. "Dilla's music is timeless and lives in all of us," explains Ma Dukes. "I expect Miami to become the icon of event holders for the Dilla legacy, and raise the bar for events globally."
Head here  to cop your tickets, with two different packages to choose from.

Enjoy. 
pimp.gif

DJ Premier Offers Sneak Peek At Live Band Rehearsal

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who wondered what it must look and sound like to have a live band added to DJ Premier's already-epic sets. And for some lucky fans in my motherland of Japan, they got to experience this first hand - as Preme and his yet-named band rocked six shows at Billboard Live, complete with a live drummer, bass player, horns, keys and trombone.

The band members are as follows:
DJ Premier - (Turntables)
Brady Watt - (Bass)
Lenny "The Ox" Reece - (Drums)
Takuya Kuroda - (Horns and Keys)
Corey King - (Trombone and Keys)

So here's  a wildly random, yet very interesting piece of news that I came across today. In a recent sit-down with the LA WeeklyJake One- who recently released his collaborated soul/funk album with Mayer Hawthorne, Tuxedo, earlier this month - revealed the he  was the mastermind behind WWE star John Cena's theme music.
“I remember John saying that he wanted something that sounded like the theme from Rocky,” says [Marc] Predka [John Cena's cousin]. “We put a bunch of CDs full of beats we received in a five-disc changer and kept pressing ‘play-change-play-change-play-change.’ But as soon as we heard the beats Jake One had put together, we said ‘Oh my God, this is it!’ We stopped and decided that it wasn’t even worth going through the rest of the beats we received at that point.”
That beat became known as "The Time Is Now."

Jake says that he found the song's sample, Pete Schofield and the Canadians' "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia," during a random "record-shopping excursion to Vancouver," before revealing that the instrumental was originally slated for one Ghostface Killah.
...but back in 2004, he was a hungry young producer looking to take any work he could get. When Cena approached him looking for some entrance music, he was more than happy to contribute.

“I wasn’t a wrestling fan at that point,” says Jake One. “I didn’t really understand the depth of what was going on until WWE said it was going to be his theme song. I didn’t know he was going to be the champion or anything like that.”

The tracks that included the Schofield horn sample weren't even originally meant for Cena. “I made the beats initially to give them to Ghostface Killah,” Jake One says. “But I didn’t have the conviction at that point to present them to him.”

Back
Top Bottom