the thread about TWOs

It is an OG colorway ... cats try to find ways to give them quick reference or nicknames (can never get with the "bred" movement. just my thoughts)

Thought so...had it out with the closet collector a few months back when JM confirmed which II's are retroing. He swore it was a CDP-exclusive color...I told him they were an OG color. He's clownshoes.

But yea...this nickname thing has gone to a whole nother level

dudes a huge clown

I'm so annoyed when JB changes small details. Why did they give the Wht/Reds a red lining instead of black.

:smh:

I'm so annoyed when JB changes small details. Why did they give the Wht/Reds a red lining instead of black.

mean.gif
hasn't it always been red?

The ones coming out in April with the cement grey and black are growing on me for the sole fact that I don't currently own a pair of 2s and these seem to be nicest design so far in the 2s they have confirmed will drop!

Is it just me or are 2's very comfortable? I heard that they changed the midsole to phylon so that might be the case why.

Last edited:
Not feeling the Black/Infrared-Cement Grey. The color blocking just seems strange to me.

IMO the elephant print on the White/Black-Dark Concord kills the shoe. Not a fan of the sudden overuse of elephant print... keep it on the 3s.

Will have to think about the White/Varsity Red-Neutral Grey. I always liked the White/Black over the White/Red as far as OG 2s go, but both are clean

And FYI, the OGs definitely had red lining

From this pic it looks like the OGs had red and black on the lining, which would make the CDPs closer to the OGs. That's if the 2014 retro release as they are in the pics posted.

I came in here to say the cements would look better if the cement parts were solid black. But after to seeing the new pics, I'm sold.

Last edited:
OG's did not have any black on the lining only black piping on the upper. The othercoloway had a completely black lining. Im not sure what you're referring to in the pic you posted.

OG's did not have any black on the lining only black piping on the upper. The othercoloway had a completely black lining. Im not sure what you're referring to in the pic you posted.
I'm not talking about the ankle lining. I guess Im referring to the piping. On the sample pics posted, it's a solid red. On the OGs it's black and red.

I'm not talking about the ankle lining. I guess Im referring to the piping. On the sample pics posted, it's a solid red. On the OGs it's black and red.
Correct.  The piping on the OG's and CDP 2's is red and black and it seems like the upcoming retros are a solid red.

Use of the word "lining" was confusing because the material around the inner part of the ankle/heel area is called the lining.

Last edited:
Correct.  The piping on the OG's and CDP 2's is red and black and it seems like the upcoming retros are a solid red.
If that's the case, think ill pass on these and find the CDPs. They've went up a lot in price since the drop, though. Hoping that's just a sample pic and this retro will be close or exact to the CDP version.

If that's the case, think ill pass on these and find the CDPs. They've went up a lot in price since the drop, though. Hoping that's just a sample pic and this retro will be close or exact to the CDP version.
I agree.  The closer a retro looks to the OG the better.  I lucked out and was able to cop 2 of those CDP's when they released in 2008.  NOBODY wanted that pack back then.  I got one for retail and the other below retail.  It's crazy that EVERY shoe that nobody cared about just a few years ago now sell for insane prices. 

Last edited:
I agree.  The closer a retro looks to the OG the better.  I lucked out and was able to cop 2 of those CDP's when they released in 2008.  NOBODY wanted that pack back then.  I got one for retail and the other below retail.  It's crazy that EVERY shoe that nobody cared about just a few years ago now sell for insane prices. 
Yeah I copped that pack for my wife. She's been rocking the 2s lately. Got me jealous, lol.

The box for those cement 2s is the regular retro box. At least that's what sole up shows

Last edited:
I remember when I got into shoes back in '07, one of the first pairs I ever fell in love with from doing my research online was the Chromes. Then the CDP dropped and I came close to buying the White/Red II's for $160, but my mom gave me the okey doke with my own money :smh:

I do prefer the gradient piping on the CDP version, but if the leather is on point on this upcoming retro, that's where my money will go.

My dad had the white red OG's.  They were his favorite shoes.  I'm going to get them for him this Fathers Day.

Best thing I've read on NT in a very long time...

Reps to you good sir...

Also @brennanizm knows his sneakers...The II's sold just as well as the I's and in some circles were more liked...

I think a great deal of the hate originated from MJ himself as he stated numerous times that the model was his least favorite (At least until the X came along)...In fact it almost caused Mr. Jordan to jump ship...If not for Tinker designing the III's MJ likely would have ended up with Converse...Have an article saved on an old hard drive someplace where Mike himself said he was always a "Converse Guy" since his childhood...That being said a lot of the old timers like myself grew up recognizing the II as being on of the least favorite models Air Jordan ever wore on the court...That's likely just carried over to the new generation I suppose...Add to that the fact that the III's greatly overshadowed the two previous models...

At any rate my experience with the II is weird and usually goes like this...I don't ever actively seek the model out when it releases, yet when I do eventually end up purchasing a pair they quickly turn into my beaters...Beaters to the point that I wear the soles of the things...

That being said if in fact these do end up using a premium leather then I may be up for purchasing a pair of the White / Red OG's...If not then it's business as usual...

Best thing I've read on NT in a very long time...

Reps to you good sir...

Also @brennanizm knows his sneakers...The II's sold just as well as the I's and in some circles were more liked...

I think a great deal of the hate originated from MJ himself as he stated numerous times that the model was his least favorite (At least until the X came along)...In fact it almost caused Mr. Jordan to jump ship...If not for Tinker designing the III's MJ likely would have ended up with Converse...Have an article saved on an old hard drive someplace where Mike himself said he was always a "Converse Guy" since his childhood...That being said a lot of the old timers like myself grew up recognizing the II as being on of the least favorite models Air Jordan ever wore on the court...That's likely just carried over to the new generation I suppose...Add to that the fact that the III's greatly overshadowed the two previous models...

I would love to read that article because it sounds completely made up. I've been obsessed with Air Jordans since the beginning in 1985 when I was 12 and have been collecting for almost 20 years and have never heard Jordan say anything negative about any Air Jordan. In fact, I've only heard him refer to all of them as his babies. Plus, everything I've read about MJ stated that he was an "Adidas" man, not Converse. It would be great if you could find that article and post it.

He was a converse guy. His deal was ether between Adidas and concerns but his dad told him nike. Also he's been known to say some Jordan models hindered his performance.

I would love to read that article because it sounds completely made up. I've been obsessed with Air Jordans since the beginning in 1985 when I was 12 and have been collecting for almost 20 years and have never heard Jordan say anything negative about any Air Jordan. In fact, I've only heard him refer to all of them as his babies. Plus, everything I've read about MJ stated that he was an "Adidas" man, not Converse. It would be great if you could find that article and post it.

Don't feel like digging out an old Hard Drive tonight but here is some stuff I do have...I will concede that MJ was an Adidas fan...It was actually that he had worn Converse through Collage...Had that backwards since It's literally been years since I've discussed this...However since I'm here and for those who don't know...

Story is this...

MJ, while he was always wearing Converse up through Collage, wanted to initially sign with Adidas...His Father / Mother / Agent / Peter Moore (Nike) / Rob Strasser (Nike) / Phil Knight (Nike) all wanted him on board with the Swoosh...In fact Nike wanted him so badly that their initial deal was for $500,000 which was unheard of at the time...MJ gets the offer then immediately heads to Adidas for a counter offer, again because he wanted more than anything to sign with that company...They pass...He gets his Jordan 1, injures his foot...He gets his Jordan II, which while better for the situation, still didn't satisfy his demands...Rob Strasser and Peter Moore leave Nike and try to convince Mike to leave with them...He is heavily considering leaving with them but before he can he meets with Tinker and gets to see the prototype for what will become the Jordan III...Head over heels in love with the design he re-commits to Nike and here we are...Talking about this on Niketalk and not Adidastalk...

Some quick stuff I found...

Couple Complex links concerning the whole thing...
http://www.complex.com/sneakers/201...n-iii-revolutionized-sneakers/tinker-hatfield
http://www.complex.com/sneakers/201...tionized-sneakers/kept-michael-jordan-at-nike

Another quick link...
http://www.kicksologists.com/2010/05/10/a-look-back-review-nike-air-jordan-iii/
Just to quote the main portion of that..."The shoe that saved Nike.

It may sound preposterous, but Michael Jordan was actually on the brink of terminating his endorsement deal with Nike due to the fact that the Air Jordan I and II fell far below his expectations, with the I even contributing to the foot injury that kept him out for most of his sophomore season.

Despite the near divorce, once Michael laid eyes on his third signature sneaker designed by Tinker Hatfield in 1988, things took a turn for the absolute best. A quick scolding from his beloved father, the late James Jordan, also helped keep his Airness in check."

Another link from Freshnessmag...
http://www.freshnessmag.com/2012/09/06/complex-23-things-you-may-not-know-about-air-jordans/
To quote this one..."17. Jordan IIIs Kept MJ From Walking

Michael wasn’t too big on signing with Nike from the start and after two of the people who did the most to bring him to the brand (Peter Moore and Rob Strasser) left, he was considering a change of scenery as well — his initial deal was up in 1988. In the end, it was young designer Tinker Hatfield’s incorporation of the elephant print and the Moore-conceived Jumpman logo on the revolutionary Air Jordan IIIs (and Michael’s dad telling His Airness that Nike had his best interest at heart) that convinced him to stay. The Air Jordan IIIs should be everyone’s favorite shoe beyond aesthetic reasons."

All this is off topic though...Is the II's this year actually going to be using some "premium" leather? Somebody shed some light on this...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom