The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Panerai Introduces the Radiomir 1940 3 Days Oro Rosso 42mm

http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F09%2Fpanerai-radiomir-1940-3-days-oro-rosso-42mm-1.jpg

http%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F09%2Fpanerai-radiomir-1940-3-days-oro-rosso-42mm-2.jpg

My Seiko SABR065 needs service after 1.5 years of wear. I can't remember what physical activity I was doing that caused this but now the automatic movement does not last as long as it normally should. Sent it in to get serviced at Seiko HQ in NJ and was quoted $280 for the repairs. I'd rather just buy a more durable piece with that money. Can anybody suggest an alternative?

That's surprising the 6R15 is good movement. I would just take it to a local watchmaker to service it for cheaper. They did come out with the new cocktail times recently but i think they downgraded the movement to 4R35.

As for a new alternative i would spend a bit more and go with something like an Oris. Unless you want a Japanese watch.

After a lot of deliberating back and forth between a Patek 5980 Rose gold / 5990 SS I ended up putting a deposit on wednesday for a rose gold royal oak chronograph 2017 with the new blue novelty dial (ref. 26331or) to go alongside my SS model. The bracelet is just way too nice in my opinion and I think it's something I'd appreciate most. The watch will be here in an estimated two to three weeks coming from the Clearwater, Florida AP fulfillment center. I plan on wearing it very sparingly and keeping it mainly as more of an heirloom.

My brother put a deposit on the ROC SS 2017 in the blue novelty dial that is now in stock and we will be picking it up saturday luckily for him. He daily wears a yellow gold rolex president 36mm, which I feel has gotten kinda cheesy by today's standards so I'm glad he will be getting this one and with a good discount to boot. The boutique sent us a photo of his watch and it does look stunning. I am 50/50 on the new style chrono vs old style chrono but I guess having both makes the most and least sense!

IMG_1987.JPG

Dope pickups fellas, just caught up on the past 30 pages, great stuff indeed. While I haven't picked up a new watch, I did l make a costly mistake on my Submariner, I usually swim with my sub when on vacation etc, and had adjusted the date/time without closing the crown. I was on vacation in Colombia and the only Rolex dealer close by didn't do on site servicing and would have to ship the watch to Bogota. So it was roughly 5 days before the watch was seen when I got back to home. I ended up taking the watch to Rolex on 5th Ave, they sent me across the street to Wempe. He opened the watch and said everything would need to be replaced, crown, dial, bezel, hands, etc. They had the watch for about two and a half months. When they called to say it was completed and I went to get it.... wow, the watch looked brand new, I didn't even want to wear it, they polished the bracelet to perfection and the price wasn't half as bad as what I expected for all the work that was done, made me fall in love with my watch all over again.

Dope pickups fellas, just caught up on the past 30 pages, great stuff indeed. While I haven't picked up a new watch, I did l make a costly mistake on my Submariner, I usually swim with my sub when on vacation etc, and had adjusted the date/time without closing the crown. I was on vacation in Colombia and the only Rolex dealer close by didn't do on site servicing and would have to ship the watch to Bogota. So it was roughly 5 days before the watch was seen when I got back to home. I ended up taking the watch to Rolex on 5th Ave, they sent me across the street to Wempe. He opened the watch and said everything would need to be replaced, crown, dial, bezel, hands, etc. They had the watch for about two and a half months. When they called to say it was completed and I went to get it.... wow, the watch looked brand new, I didn't even want to wear it, they polished the bracelet to perfection and the price wasn't half as bad as what I expected for all the work that was done, made me fall in love with my watch all over again.

Glad to hear the watch was saved, but careful not to overpolish it.

Black dial for tool watches for sure. I'm boring that way :lol:

unless it's this one lol
Vacheron-Constantin-Overseas-Chronograph-Calibre-5200-1.jpg

Anyway have something incoming this weekend, hopefully. Taking longer than usual to get here. This time of the year :smokin

got to see the blue dial in the sun to judge

for example, Rolex' sunburst blue can't be fully appreciate til you see it in the sunlight

but you can't go wrong with black for sure plus it'll give you more reason to get a Patek 5711 if you get the AP in black :lol:

Saw this at the mall... Caved and picked it up. Lol. So much nicer than the Turtle I already have lol.

20247692_10155058018788736_6539968412194675469_o.jpg

Samurai, correct? I’m actually back and forth between this and the turtle at the moment. Care to share your thoughts on both? This is my first auto and I’m trying to keep it under 600 or so, and these seem to really hit the mark for what I’m looking for. Open to other recommendations.

got to see the blue dial in the sun to judge

for example, Rolex' sunburst blue can't be fully appreciate til you see it in the sunlight

but you can't go wrong with black for sure plus it'll give you more reason to get a Patek 5711 if you get the AP in black :lol:

I don’t think the AP or 5711 are at the sunburst level haha. I wish I was VIP enough to get a 5711 at retail that’s for sure. The Black AP is mine the blue is my bros that he just picked up over the weekend. My rose gold blue AP chrono is currently on order.

Also, I’m selling my Vacheron Overseas chrono to fund it if anyone is interested. It is gray with gray alligator strap. Just serviced in November of 2016 and haven’t worn it since. New crystal, crown and strap during service as well. I think it is a steal at 13k complete.

Samurai, correct? I’m actually back and forth between this and the turtle at the moment. Care to share your thoughts on both? This is my first auto and I’m trying to keep it under 600 or so, and these seem to really hit the mark for what I’m looking for. Open to other recommendations.

Yes. Both are well-made (the finish is about the same, but the turtle has more polished surfaces vs. the mostly-brushed Samurai), but the Samurai's heft feels more spread across the wrist -wears a bit larger, but more comfortable, in my opinion. Movement-wise, the Turtle has the day complication, whereas the Samurai doesn't. Both keep relatively the same time. Both have some quirks, too. The Turtle has chapter ring alignment issues, and the Samurai has crown hole centering issues. Neither are that bad, really. Someone just had to point them out in forums (my apologies :lol: ). As for silicon or steel bracelet? They are much comfortable on silicon. Dare I say even more comfortable than the expensive RubberB bands. They do get rather shiny after some wear. Affordable enough to replace by then, though. The steel bracelet's not that special (but understandable at that price point).

If I had go choose one for me, I'd stick with the Samurai. I only bought the Turtle since I found it much, much better in quality than the SKX for not so much more.

Finally on the wrist. Another chronograph, I know... :lol: Always wanted a Portugieser since I became a fan of IWC; IW371445 being the one I wanted back in the day. Glad I held off picking that one up and got this one instead. Let go of a couple of pieces in my collection for this... definitely the right decision. :smokin
37708563651_62e103509b_b.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't want to leave you guys hanging. The watch is currently sitting in my office, let me know what you guys prefer between the two!

Panda dial for me (passing on my SS Sky-Dweller allocation for one), but if I were to choose between black and blue I would probably go with black.

And congrats on the new RO!

Omega Speedmaster Pro finally came in today, will post pics when I get home :nthat:

Overall the experience with Jomashop was a smooth one (came in the new Speedmaster box with all the freebies), but like someone said before make sure the watch is in stock. In my case it wasn't and I ordered mine on September 18 and received it today. Thankfully, they didn't debit my account until the day they shipped it. You really can't beat their prices though. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a brand new luxury watch but doesn't want to pay retail.

Omega Speedmaster Pro finally came in today, will post pics when I get home :nthat:

Overall the experience with Jomashop was a smooth one (came in the new Speedmaster box with all the freebies), but like someone said before make sure the watch is in stock. In my case it wasn't and I ordered mine on September 18 and received it today. Thankfully, they didn't debit my account until the day they shipped it. You really can't beat their prices though. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants a brand new luxury watch but doesn't want to pay retail.

Congrats on the purchase! There are also a lot of reputable grey sellers that include manufacturer's warranties. I would recommend buying from them to get the grey market price, with the warranty in case something goes wrong with the movement.

Congrats on the purchase! There are also a lot of reputable grey sellers that include manufacturer's warranties. I would recommend buying from them to get the grey market price, with the warranty in case something goes wrong with the movement.

^ this. They pop up for pretty much the same price on OF regularly, with the warranty, too. Anyway, glad to hear you had a good experience with Jomashop. Congrats and wear it in good health. :pimp:

Back
Top Bottom