The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Sub at the beach in Jamaica:
74A665F5-9664-4739-ACAE-3C810F76F840.jpeg

In terms of investments. You think the watch market is still gonna go up?

There was a slight downturn when China stopped buying watches .

Also what brands do you see as potentially going up?

Ive seen FP Journe really go up lately. The next trend would probably dress watches and smaller watches around 39 and lower im guessing.

if you can buy retail, the usual suspects are gon net you the best return (rolex, ap and patek)

fp is gon stay steady along with a select models of vc and lange

some micro brands that does some limited runs like ming and kurono also gets decent resale

i feel like the industry has been trying to talk up dress watches for years now and its not taking off the way they were hoping for

if you can buy retail, the usual suspects are gon net you the best return (rolex, ap and patek)

fp is gon stay steady along with a select models of vc and lange

some micro brands that does some limited runs like ming and kurono also gets decent resale

i feel like the industry has been trying to talk up dress watches for years now and its not taking off the way they were hoping for
Not retail per say cause those are impossible.

My dad got two rolexes for retail last year one is gonna be a flip.

Like buy as an investment then hold.

Got at 5740 for around $150k last or last year those could sell for close to $400k now.

My uncle whos been in the game years now with an unlimited budget has been talking about Credor too as one of those niche watch brands.

I went to my AP boutique last week and am planning to go back to register interest for one of the 42mm offshores.

I managed to try the 43mm on in a different boutique (WoS) but I asked them about the 42 and they said they have no pieces available anywhere worldwide (for any model actually) to view in person. That can't be true, can it?
Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 22.04.56.png Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 22.05.03.png

Any ideas on how long of a wait I should expect? I have no previous history with AP directly, I do with WoS but I'm told I can only register for the 43mm through them and need to go direct to AP for the 42.

I went to my AP boutique last week and am planning to go back to register interest for one of the 42mm offshores.

I managed to try the 43mm on in a different boutique (WoS) but I asked them about the 42 and they said they have no pieces available anywhere worldwide (for any model actually) to view in person. That can't be true, can it?
Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 22.04.56.png Screenshot 2022-07-18 at 22.05.03.png

Any ideas on how long of a wait I should expect? I have no previous history with AP directly, I do with WoS but I'm told I can only register for the 43mm through them and need to go direct to AP for the 42.

I would definitely try with AP directly (boutique) all the family owned places cannot be trusted at this point.

Not retail per say cause those are impossible.

My dad got two rolexes for retail last year one is gonna be a flip.

Like buy as an investment then hold.

Got at 5740 for around $150k last or last year those could sell for close to $400k now.

My uncle whos been in the game years now with an unlimited budget has been talking about Credor too as one of those niche watch brands.

Dude i've been monitoring 5740 prices like a hawk and couldn't find one at 150. I almost pulled the trigger on one for 180k and that was for my birthday in 2020. That's a good deal.

credor is one of those brands that its too niche for their own good and its still a seiko at the end of the day but i dont think its gon be reselling well

i think buying at market price and hoping it goes up is a huge risk as the market could still crash down

not to mention that a lot of posted prices in its “market price” arent really selling for that much all the time, like there might a be celeb here or a new cryto millionaire there that bought a steel daytona at $50k+ at its peak but about 98% of them were either not moving or selling for less so its even more difficult to predict and use watches as an investment

but again, the usual will be safer like a 5711 (especially now that its technically discontinued) will likely make you money in the long run but majority will be too risky…

but then again im just not that type of dude, i never got into crypto or nft’s so risky investments probably best adviced by someone else

Jumping in to make my first serious purchase with a budget around ~$15k.

I like the Cartier Tank a lot. Any recs on other watches?

$15k is a big budget and i can probably easily recommend 30 different watches off the tope of my head :lol:

any specific styles you like other than a tank?

because a tank large qith quartz/solar movement is $3k, an upcoming tank louis in gold witt black dial is likely in the $13k range but its dressy and kind of limiting unless you are one of those that dont care would wear it anyways

tl.png

Bunch of super nice watches $15k and under…Literally a couple dozen I could throw out there off the top of my head…If Cartier is your thing and your kind of on board with the tank, maybe take a look at the Santos line…

Specifically love the Tank Américaine

Love the Santos too, Vacheron Patrimony, Rolex Explorer, Patek PhillipeCalatrava … AP Royal Oak :lol:

There you go then…Buy yourself the Tank now then get yourself on “the list” for an Explorer at an AD…You’ll have the dressier angle covered with the Tank and sporty side of things taken care of with the Explorer…Plus you’d be coming in under your $15k budget…

americaine is great, i love it too but it doesnt work for everyone wrist, id have to go small or stretch it to a medium for my wrist and its looks so much more slim and dainty even on my tiny wrist, the straps width alone might be like 12mm

i think my best advice is to go to an AD that carries a bunch of brands (like Feldmar if you're in the LA area) or a mall that has a lot of watch stores (like South Coast Plaza) if you're on the OC area and just try on everything you can get your hands on, make a day of it and then see what you cant live without

Plus you’d be coming in under your $15k budget…
Essentially is a gift so coming in under isnt in my best interest :lol:
americaine is great, i love it too but it doesnt work for everyone wrist, id have to go small or stretch it to a medium for my wrist and its looks so much more slim and dainty even on my tiny wrist, the straps width alone might be like 12mm

i think my best advice is to go to an AD that carries a bunch of brands (like Feldmar if you're in the LA area) or a mall that has a lot of watch stores (like South Coast Plaza) if you're on the OC area and just try on everything you can get your hands on, make a day of it and then see what you cant live without
appreciate that and probably the smart move. I’m in NYC so that doesn’t apply but luckily can still hit the stores around here.

im sure you'll find a NY equivalent and there should be plenty that can help you out here

best of luck and happy hunting

its true, in the second slide, thats the owner George Bamford confirming that they had to close the store down

pic of the crowd that was used in yhat post was from the swatch craziness though

Yeah I've never been a fan of his tbh. He seemed to present himself almost as if he was a member of aristocracy during the custom days (before the cease and desist from Rolex) and now he's selling fairly ugly/basic self branded watches presents himself like a everyman. I'm surprised anyone cares enough to queue on a 40 degree day.

Back
Top Bottom