The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

picked up some new Steinhart's, all three automatic ETA 2824-2 
pimp.gif

Y4BBZY Y4BBZY , this thread has inspired me to go looking for myself and, naturally, that led me to researching the many aspects of watch making. Suffice it to say that I've just begun to scratch the surface of a rich culture and history. Most recently I discovered the Poincon de Geneve, and I have a couple questions regarding it:

1. Are watches that abide by the Geneva standard really more reliable than brands such as Grand Seiko or Junghan (assuming regular service, no salt water diving, etc?)

2. As someone who seems to know quite a bit about watches, is something like this really important to those who care about watches in general?

1. Watch quality varies from company to company. Just because a watch has "Swiss Made" does not mean it is better than a "Japan Made" or "German Made" and vice versa. Best advice is to take a hard look at the company of the watch you like and determine if the cost is worth the price. Some watch brands use off the shelf movements and outsource parts to different manufacturers while some companies use in-house movements, cases, etc. I know that Seiko and Nomos uses in-house movements in their watches that are under $2k.

2. To me no. Do not buy a particular watch to impress others, because most of the time you are only going to impress dudes. Buy what you want because you like it, period. BTW, watches DO NOT make a great investment.

Guys,

what's the deal with JOMASHOP? I've read that the watches they sell are considered "grey market" so there is no warranty with the original manufacturer.

What does this even mean?

are these watches stolen or something? :nerd:

Guys,

what's the deal with JOMASHOP? I've read that the watches they sell are considered "grey market" so there is no warranty with the original manufacturer.

What does this even mean?

are these watches stolen or something? :nerd:

Basically, the vendors can't or won't verify whether or not the seller is legit, so they won't honor the warranty.

Besides the occasional late shipment complaint, I haven't really seen anything else bad said about JomaShop.

Y4BBZY Y4BBZY , appreciate that homie. I'm just trying to do it right :lol:

Grey Market = No manufacturer warranty. Which means you will have to deal with the website you bought the watch from if any repairs are needed. Pros is that the watches from Grey Market retailers are cheaper than buying from Authorized Dealers (which has the manufacture's warranty). My advice is to go grey market to save a couple of bucks, unless you plan on buying a $1-2k+ watch.

No problem @Yeah, post the watch you decide to get in the future in this thread.

Thanks jyabbz and yeah. Appreciate the clarification. I was planning on getting my brother the Hamilton jazzmaster maestro, which sells for 1.2k on jomashop, but 1.6 on macys.

What do you guys think of the breitling aerospace evo , a retailer offered it to me for 3k, good deal?

Question? Not trying to down this thread but after looking at the watchs in the $1000- $5000 section and more I cant figure out why they are worth as much? What makes them so special especially if they just metal? I appreciate the mechanics but not to a $1,000 degree or is it just the growing up poor talking?

I use a pebble watch :smokin

Question? Not trying to down this thread but after looking at the watchs in the $1000- $5000 section and more I cant figure out why they are worth as much? What makes them so special especially if they just metal? I appreciate the mechanics but not to a $1,000 degree or is it just the growing up poor talking?

I use a pebble watch :smokin
One aspect of it is manufacturing. Some companies create their timepieces from the ground up: in house parts, in house movement, in house casing, etc. This, of course, can get very expensive and time consuming, especially with watches that have complications (date windows, chronographs, moon phases, etc) and when the company chooses high end material, such as sapphire crystals and 24k gold.

Other companies simply use off the shelf parts that are manufactured by other companies, slap their brand on it, then take it to market. A lot of companies do a mixture of both, which is why you'll see watches that are advertised as having "Seiko Movement" even though they aren't Seiko watches.

Another aspect is the brand. Whenever you buy a watch, you're paying for the brand. A lot of people take the history of the watch maker in heavy consideration, as there are many watch makers, but fewer reliable and long lasting watches.

If you want a relevant example, you could argue that are cars are just carbon fiber and metallic frames with an engine, so why is a Farrari more expensive than a Ford? With watches (like cars,) while they all serve relatively the same function, the way that they are built, the materials used, and the legacy of the brands are completely different.

One aspect of it is manufacturing. Some companies create their timepieces from the ground up: in house parts, in house movement, in house casing, etc. This, of course, can get very expensive and time consuming, especially with watches that have complications (date windows, chronographs, moon phases, etc) and when the company chooses high end material, such as sapphire crystals and 24k gold.

Other companies simply use off the shelf parts that are manufactured by other companies, slap their brand on it, then take it to market. A lot of companies do a mixture of both, which is why you'll see watches that are advertised as having "Seiko Movement" even though they aren't Seiko watches.

Another aspect is the brand. Whenever you buy a watch, you're paying for the brand. A lot of people take the history of the watch maker in heavy consideration, as there are many watch makers, but fewer reliable and long lasting watches.

If you want a relevant example, you could argue that are cars are just carbon fiber and metallic frames with an engine, so why is a Farrari more expensive than a Ford? With watches (like cars,) while they all serve relatively the same function, the way that they are built, the materials used, and the legacy of the brands are completely different.

Well said.

In all fairness, Milestailsprowe was that really a serious question? :rolleyes

Ya'll think it'd be safe to order Rollies from online shops overseas?

I mean from US going out - likes of Jomashop, etc.

Ya'll think it'd be safe to order Rollies from online shops overseas?

I mean from US going out - likes of Jomashop, etc.
Jomashop is reputable. But for me, if I'm spending $1K+ on a watch, I'll buy directly from the manufacturer just to have the comfort of the warranty rather than the grey market warranty. That's just how my cash flow is currently set up lol

Tsovet and Tutima are slept on brands in various price points. Check them out.

I wear the TAG HEUER Carrera 40th Anniversary Legend on weekends/special occasions. Don't have use for a daily.

View media item 949187
Next watch will be the Rolex Milgauss. Like it more than then the Sub.

is anyone well versed in the high speed military/ tactical/ sport watches department?

im interested in buying one but i only know of one brand suunto, are there any other brands i could look into? please no g shock

is anyone well versed in the high speed military/ tactical/ sport watches department?

im interested in buying one but i only know of one brand suunto, are there any other brands i could look into? please no g shock

Casio Pathfinder? Usually recommended along with the Suunto

Back
Top Bottom