The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Have heard good things about Seikos. I’ve also been lookin into Orient watches as a good starter watch that won’t break the bank.

So the past week i spent a good amount of time hitting some different spots checking out a few different watches, I was the poster who posed the 14060m vs 114060 question. My thoughts are below and are only my opinion (hope i dont piss anyone off :lol:)

-Rolex 14060m - bracelet is terrible, i think with a better quality bracelet i would have liked this one a lot more
-Rolex 114060 - overall i just wasn't impressed with any of the rolex's i tried on (sub, gmt, OP39, dj41).
-Tudor Heritage 41mm diver - i actually liked this one more than the subs, it just felt better on my wrist and i think it looked better on me from a size perspective. The store did not have a fifty eight, but the salesman and myself both agreed it would be too small on me.
-Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - i liked this one a lot, i dont think i am going to get one now but definitely will consider one down the road.
-Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (hesalite) - loved this watch, this was the watch i didnt expect to love as much as i did. I loved everything about it.
-Tudor Ranger - this is the watch i bought that i posted last week, they were able to find the camo nato.
-IWC - looked at a few of these and liked them, but just not what i am looking for right now but, again, i will consider them again in the future.

When it comes to Rolexs, I think generally they all looked a little too small on me for my preference (i am a bigger/pretty tall guy at 6'4" 200 lb), and i dont like "big" watches so its not that. I liked the DJ41 fluted bezel on jubilee the best but it just didnt fit my style (too shiny) - if i wore a suit everyday i would think very hard about buying one. But overall i just wasnt impressed when i spent some time with the pieces, they didnt live up to my expectations. Overall i liked the tudors more than the rolexs, and i still love that damn tudor ranger. :lol: So i am going to go with what i liked the best on me and ignore the other noise (value retention, name, etc.). I am going to keep the tudor ranger and add either the moonwatch or the tudor heritage diver (leaning towards the speedy right now). If i do go speedy then i need to decide if i go hesalite or sapphire sandwich (another tough decision).

So the past week i spent a good amount of time hitting some different spots checking out a few different watches, I was the poster who posed the 14060m vs 114060 question. My thoughts are below and are only my opinion (hope i dont piss anyone off :lol:)

-Rolex 14060m - bracelet is terrible, i think with a better quality bracelet i would have liked this one a lot more
-Rolex 114060 - overall i just wasn't impressed with any of the rolex's i tried on (sub, gmt, OP39, dj41).
-Tudor Heritage 41mm diver - i actually liked this one more than the subs, it just felt better on my wrist and i think it looked better on me from a size perspective. The store did not have a fifty eight, but the salesman and myself both agreed it would be too small on me.
-Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra - i liked this one a lot, i dont think i am going to get one now but definitely will consider one down the road.
-Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch (hesalite) - loved this watch, this was the watch i didnt expect to love as much as i did. I loved everything about it.
-Tudor Ranger - this is the watch i bought that i posted last week, they were able to find the camo nato.
-IWC - looked at a few of these and liked them, but just not what i am looking for right now but, again, i will consider them again in the future.

When it comes to Rolexs, I think generally they all looked a little too small on me for my preference (i am a bigger/pretty tall guy at 6'4" 200 lb), and i dont like "big" watches so its not that. I liked the DJ41 fluted bezel on jubilee the best but it just didnt fit my style (too shiny) - if i wore a suit everyday i would think very hard about buying one. But overall i just wasnt impressed when i spent some time with the pieces, they didnt live up to my expectations. Overall i liked the tudors more than the rolexs, and i still love that damn tudor ranger. :lol: So i am going to go with what i liked the best on me and ignore the other noise (value retention, name, etc.). I am going to keep the tudor ranger and add either the moonwatch or the tudor heritage diver (leaning towards the speedy right now). If i do go speedy then i need to decide if i go hesalite or sapphire sandwich (another tough decision).

I think you took the best course of action. All that being said it's only five days till the new rolex models are revealed and I think tudor may release their new models on the same day.

CE38BCB1-67BA-4EE1-8C06-204E6BBAB349.jpeg

Although mine is a sapphire sandwich, I think the speedy is a great choice. Either way, you’ve got some great options to choose from on your list.

CE38BCB1-67BA-4EE1-8C06-204E6BBAB349.jpeg

Although mine is a sapphire sandwich, I think the speedy is a great choice. Either way, you’ve got some great options to choose from on your list.
Im hoping to check out a sapphire sandwich tomorrow (they didnt have one at the boutique i was at). Im curious what made you choose that over hesalite. If they are similar enough in person i will probably go the sapphire route.

I think you took the best course of action. All that being said it's only five days till the new rolex models are revealed and I think tudor may release their new models on the same day.

And? It's not like anyone has a chance of getting any of those Basel releases without paying a stupid amount over MSRP.

Im hoping to check out a sapphire sandwich tomorrow (they didnt have one at the boutique i was at). Im curious what made you choose that over hesalite. If they are similar enough in person i will probably go the sapphire route.

definitely go somewhere to compare them side by side. I was surprised how much I liked the hesalite. I chose the sapphire because I didn't want to worry about scratches and I love display casebacks. I just got mine back today after getting the Mitsukoshi conversion done and love it.
20190315_203310.jpg

20190315_201115.jpg

Nice strap.. who makes it?

Last edited:

I chose sapphire for the same reasons three00zeex three00zeex did.

As for the strap, it’s the distressed dark brown leather strap from hodinkee. A bit pricey, but looks great!

Sapphire is cool, but I like hesalite since the whole point of it was to be shatter proof in space. I’m obviously not an astronaut, but I like the history of the watch in addition to the aesthetics.

And? It's not like anyone has a chance of getting any of those Basel releases without paying a stupid amount over MSRP.
Why the aggression? Am i the one limiting Rolex stock? What is wrong with waiting to see if something is more aesthetically pleasing and then saving your money and maybe waiting till you can get something? The thing is tudor waiting lists are not as severe as rolex so within a few months you should be able to get what you want if one of baselworld models are what you choose.

I went hesalite too. Mad space program fan, so the 3150.50 was the only speedy to buy. Got the Lunar Pilot too of course. Scratches buff out of hesalite in under 30 seconds with a touch of polywatch on your finger.

A4470AEE-44E2-45A4-A4F0-E7D23CFE0F5B.jpeg
It's a good choice and probably one of the few watches that look as good if not better on a variety of straps. Out of curiosity often do you have to wind it? Does it ever become a hassle?

I went hesalite too. Mad space program fan, so the 3150.50 was the only speedy to buy. Got the Lunar Pilot too of course. Scratches buff out of hesalite in under 30 seconds with a touch of polywatch on your finger.

A4470AEE-44E2-45A4-A4F0-E7D23CFE0F5B.jpeg
Yeah i see everyone on wus and other forums days they come right out. How easy does it scratch though, honestly?

You’ll get very fine scratches from daily wear, but they’re not noticeable unless you’re looking for them. I just wind it in the morning before I put it on.

Yeah i see everyone on wus and other forums days they come right out. How easy does it scratch though, honestly?
Not sure, depends how you wear it I guess. And how clear you want your face to be. Sapphire gives you that milky edge but as a daily beater little chance of scratching. I only wore the speedy to dinner etc so hesalite and my want of the Apollo purity made that the choice for me.

It's a good choice and probably one of the few watches that look as good if not better on a variety of straps. Out of curiosity often do you have to wind it? Does it ever become a hassle?
Daily. Not a hassle for me, the watch was selected for the Apollo program in part because it was mechanical winding. Winding it up gives you a moment with it before you start your day.

Hey fam I’ve had this Breitling for a while and I never wear it. Any suggestions where to sell it and for how much? I have the box, papers etc. I want to use the cash towards a Rolex Rolex Oyster Perpetual.

651294DE-E3AF-49DD-8F73-B08DE3FB7EAB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom