The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

this worldtimer for less than $3k looks great

and the specs at 40mm x 10mm is very wearable

Need advice.
Bb58 or smp300?
Im torn. Im leaning towards the bb58 but having a date on my watch is helpful for my everyday use, but the price difference is almost 2k

Need advice.
Bb58 or smp300?
Im torn. Im leaning towards the bb58 but having a date on my watch is helpful for my everyday use, but the price difference is almost 2k
I think it depends if you prefer a more modern or vintage looking watch. Having owned a smp300 it is a very good watch but the bracelet is pretty bad. So you may have to invest on a replacement strap (strapcode and forstner have good options).

The BB58 has more classic proportions but you have to compromise with fake vintage elements such as a riveted bracelet and aged lume.

All that being said I think this model is the best of both worlds. It's 41mm, has a date and with the steel bezel somehow looks a lot more modern.
Tudor-Black-Bay-Steel-1.jpg
Tudor-Black-Bay-Steel-4.jpg
PB100008.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you! I already had that in mind but sadly i think it’s discontinued
Yeah you'll have to do some hunting to find a new one from an AD. There are some on sale anything from 2-3k online.
that looks clean af

it was between that and the BB41 in black I grabbed. seeing your pics, shoulda grabbed yours :lol:
Lol. Those pictures ain't me. They would need some more melanin for me to pass this off as myself.:lol:

A couple of the earlier tudor models were definitely slept on (fast rider - black and red, all black dlc tudor black bay etc)

Last edited:
Need advice.
Bb58 or smp300?

Only one thing to do. Try both on and you’ll know which speaks to you.

I was all in on a Speedy as my first nice watch purchase. Then one night in Vegas I tried on the SMP just because, and knew immediately that was the one for me for first good watch.

Any of you guys purchase vintage watches? What are some tells to know you should pull the trigger? I'm setting my standards knowing I wont get a perfect condition dial and will expect the gold to be show signs of wear. But does having the gold scratched devalue the piece? Any input will help

A polished vintage piece is a no go. Beyond that, why are you looking to buy vintage? For keeps? If so, buy whatever you like. For investment, do tons of research.
kickn-since89 kickn-since89

A polished vintage piece is a no go. Beyond that, why are you looking to buy vintage? For keeps? If so, buy whatever you like. For investment, do tons of research.
kickn-since89 kickn-since89
Not looking at this as an investment only for personal use. Not looking to spend as much on a brand new piece and vintage fits my budget.

Is the insert rubber? What was the bezel doing (or not doing) for you to replace it?

the bezel insert is aluminum. i banged my watch against a cabinet a couple of years ago and knocked the pearl out. i debated for a long time on whether to replace it, since it would no longer be all original. i ended up sourcing an authentic insert, since i got tired of looking at the hole where the pearl should be.

Any of you guys purchase vintage watches? What are some tells to know you should pull the trigger? I'm setting my standards knowing I wont get a perfect condition dial and will expect the gold to be show signs of wear. But does having the gold scratched devalue the piece? Any input will help

yes, i primarily purchase vintage/neo-vintage watches. i cant really answer your second question, without knowing what you want. do you prefer vintage pieces because of their age? do you not like newer technology such as the use of superluminova for lumes? do you prefer that the dials/lumes have the ability to develop a patina over time? as previously mentioned, vintage watch collectors will not buy a piece that has been polished, but a huge scratch isnt ideal either.

i'm trying to convince myself that i don't need a 16570, but i found a good deal on a NOS piece. would be a nice daily driver...

Back
Top Bottom