The Troubling Case of Amanda Knox 22yo American Student on Trial for Murder in Italy *UPDATE* Appeal

Don't know how the Italian legal system allows this sort of railroading, especially when prosecutors have precious little evidence, which is tenuous atbest. Their biggest "gotcha" is her contradictory statements, which, considering how flawed the entire investigation/trial seems to have been, shouldcome under extreme scrutiny as to their validity. Was she pressured into saying certain things or changing her story? Have those statements been fabricated inany way by the investigators?

Glad that I visited Perugia before this went down.

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Don't know how the Italian legal system allows this sort of railroading, especially when prosecutors have precious little evidence, which is tenuous at best. Their biggest "gotcha" is her contradictory statements, which, considering how flawed the entire investigation/trial seems to have been, should come under extreme scrutiny as to their validity. Was she pressured into saying certain things or changing her story? Have those statements been fabricated in any way by the investigators?

Glad that I visited Perugia before this went down.

I don't know if she was pressured. It seems like every article regarding the case is severely slanted one way or the other, but two things stay constant:

she approached the police with no lawyer and they questioned her with no legal counsel, and they have yet to produce any real evidence.

based on what we've seen in court from the prosecution, i think it's safe to say they probably didn't respect any "Miranda" rights shewould have had here.

This girl got herself in some situation

I wish her the best of luck because it's not looking good for her

Interesting to read NT's views. Over here in England the tabloid media have loved this case - an English girl killed and Foxy Knoxy (as she's knownover here), Italian boyfriend and African man in drug-fuelled sex games. It's been covered extensively and hard to know what to believe.

I thought there was evidence though? A knife was found in the boyfriend's apartment that had Foxy Knoxy's DNA on the handle and Kercher's on theblade.

I think she'll be found guilty. The latest article from the impartial BBC is here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8391187.stm

Originally Posted by Backirvine

Interesting to read NT's views. Over here in England the tabloid media have loved this case - an English girl killed and Foxy Knoxy (as she's known over here), Italian boyfriend and African man in drug-fuelled sex games. It's been covered extensively and hard to know what to believe.

I thought there was evidence though? A knife was found in the boyfriend's apartment that had Foxy Knoxy's DNA on the handle and Kercher's on the blade.

I think she'll be found guilty. The latest article from the impartial BBC is here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8391187.stm
what i've seen at a couple of places and is mentioned in this artcle is that the "discovery" of the knife is suspicious, because itturned up almost two months after the murder and could easily have been manipulated. On top of that forensics experts don't think the blade is the onethat caused the wound found on her roommate. And even then it ties, her boyfriend and not her to the crime.

Just convicted of murder.
BREAKING NEWS
APTRANS.gif

updated less than 1 minute ago

PERUGIA, Italy - An Italian court on Friday convicted American student Amanda Knox of murdering her British roommate and sentenced her to 26 years in prison.

Knox's Italian ex-boyfriend, Raffaele Sollecito, 25, also was convicted of the murder charges. He was sentenced to 25 years.

Itlay sucks, SMH 26 years with absolutely not evidence and the defense couldnt even speak there case? also paying 7 million dollars. SMH
smh.gif

[h1]Amanda Knox sobs as guilty verdict read[/h1]
From Richard Allen Greene, Hada Messia and Mallory Simon, CNN

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • NEW: Knox sentenced to 26 years, Sollecito sentenced to 25 years
  • Jurors deliberated for about 11 hours on Friday before reaching guilty verdict
  • "I fear to be defined as someone I am not," Knox told jury, denying guilt
  • Sollecito and Knox face life sentences if convicted of the slaying

Watch live coverage of the verdict at 6 p.m. ET on CNN TV and CNN.com.

Perugia, Italy (CNN) -- An Italian jury has found American student Amanda Knox and her Italian boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito guilty in the stabbing death of British exchange student Meredith Kercher.

Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison and Sollecito was sentenced to 25 years.

The two were convicted on all charges except theft.

Knox, wearing a lime jacket, her hair in a single braid, began to sob -- her sniffles and sobs punctuating the otherwise silent courtroom -- as the judge read the verdict quietly, without expression.

Few of the eight jurors looked at her. Six of the jurors were wearing red, white and green sashes -- the colors of Italy's flag.

Sollecito's stepmother cried out his name twice as her son and Knox were led from the court.

Both Knox and Sollecito will appeal the verdicts, attorneys said.

Knox and Sollecito were charged with murder and sexual violence in the November 2007 stabbing death of Meredith Kercher. Knox and Kercher, both studying abroad, were roommates. A third suspect was found guilty in a separate trial.

Watch live coverage of the verdict from Perugia, Italy, on CNN TV and CNN.com.

Prosecutors argued Seattle, Washington native Amanda Knox was a resentful American so angry with her British roommate that she exacted revenge during a twisted sex misadventure at their home two years ago.

They said Knox directed Sollecito and another man infatuated with her, Rudy Guede, to hold Kercher down as Knox played with a knife before slashing Kercher's throat.

Defense lawyers argued that Guede, who was convicted in a separate fast-track trial and is currently appealing his conviction, was the sole killer. On Thursday, Knox took the stand for a third time in the Perugia courtroom, telling jurors that she is not a "killer" who stabbed her former roommate.

"They say that I am calm. I am not calm," Knox said in Italian. "I fear to lose myself, to have the mask of the killer forced upon me. I fear to be defined as someone I am not."

Prosecutors touted an airtight case.

See the evidence that convicted Knox

They argued DNA on Kercher's bra clasp belonged to Sollecito. And the alleged murder weapon, a 6 ½-inch kitchen knife taken from Sollecito's home, had the DNA of Knox on the handle and Kercher on the blade, prosecutors said.

During the trial, the defense cast doubt on the knife evidence, arguing it doesn't match the wounds on Kercher's body.

And they said the bra clasp with Sollecito's DNA on it was left at the crime scene for weeks and is so contaminated that the evidence can't be considered credible.

Knox's family has argued she has been the victim of character assassination.

Members of Kercher's family have declined repeated CNN requests for comment.

Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini accused the defense of "lynching" the Italian police who worked on the case.

Knox and Sollecito have been jailed for more than two years. The trial began in January in Perugia, a university town about 115 miles (185 kilometers) north of Rome.

CNN's Paula Newton in Italy contributed to this report.

What's disturbing is that the jury had a bias and didn't take long to deliberate the charges at all. Let this be awarning to students who go abroad to not wild out.

She does seem kinda crazy though. I don't know what to make of the story.

At least she only got 26 years for.... murder?

Straight Shocked....God I know Our Country Aint Perfect But...SMh

thats sad...im currently an exchange student in italy....got me walkin a hella straight path round these parts

Just saw this.

I woulda hit......

Maybe they got a video somewhere.... but damn thats crazy

26 years

Everytime I see her on television she is always grinning in court, why are you so happy to be on trial?

Back
Top Bottom