The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

There was this American Portuguese girl on the girls soccer team. Has that nice olive skin. A good player too. She's a looker :pimp:

There was a international student, Portuguese girl. Doesn't have that olive skin but she's cute. But she looked the part, has the European style. And the accent of course....AND I ******G BLEW IT :smh: Played for the national team at some point, u20 I think.

I'm half. Dad's family is from Lisbon.

there's a lot of Portuguese descendants in the Central Valley of California, where a lot of farmers from Portugal moved back in the day. 99% of the Portuguese descendants I've met here in the Bay Area are Portuguese only by last name and dark skin/hair alone. Can't speak a single word, don't know any history, don't know any cuisine , etc (I've taken advantage of this by impressing Portchop girls with my extremely mediocre language skills so I can't hate too much) They've pretty much become generic American white people :lol: honestly all the "real" ones I know personally in the US were foreign grad students I met while I was at UCSB.

Yea, My Uncle is heavy in the Portuguese-American Community in Connecticut and Florida. He used to own a construction company so he had many contracts with Portuguese business' in Connecticut and New York. My father owned a Portuguese bar in Westchester, NY. I took after school Portuguese-school classes in elementary school, I've visited many times. So I'm very much in tune with the Portuguese-American community (at least I was growing up) and I speak pretty well since both my parents are from there. I've been to the festivals in the east coast and even Canada when I was a kid.

I know what you mean by becoming generic American people, its happened to me. I moved to the suburbs in CT when my parents divorced around 12 y/o and literally there weren't any Portuguese-Americans in those places. I was one of a kind, I stood out tho, I liked it. Then I went to school in Florida, same thing, they're weren't any Portchops there either. All my serious girlfriends were white girls, so I may be headed down that path; but I do want my future children speaking Portuguese, thats a mandatory, I believe everyone should know at least two languages. - Basically I revisit my identity when I'm around my pops in NY or Uncle. (Unless of course I go visit my family in Portugal and France, which I've done plenty - thats a whole other type of enlightenment)

That's me. Portuguese by last name. Hell, I don't even look portuguese but I'm damn proud of my heritage. Finally went to portugal to visit my aunt earlier this year and I can't wait to go back again. Parents are from macau but my grandfathers from both sides of my family were from lisbon. I'm the only one in my family, on both sides, that doesn't know how to speak portuguese except for the common phrases my mom would use to yell at me like eat your chicken, shut your mouth, and wash your hands. Some in our family look full portuguese, some look half, others like me look Chinese more than anything. But everyone single one of us has full portuguese names.

If you see a random Chinese guy walking around San Francisco wearing a portugal kit with the flag draped over my shoulders whenever they play in the World Cup or euro, it will be me.

I thought SFC was rare since not many Portchops moved out West when they immigrated; You my friend are the rarest Portuguese of them all!!! I'm shocked, someone from Macau :wow:

I've read that there aren't many Portuguese people left in Macau and the language is dying since Portugal gave the city back to China - wonder if you could shed some light. So your ancestors are mixed with Portuguese and Chinese huh? Thats awesome, I'm glad you're proud. Wish Portugal still had Macau!! China's big enough :lol:

Last edited:
FIFA world men’s player of the year shortlist:
Gareth Bale (Real Madrid/Wales)
Edinson Cavani (Paris St-Germain/Uruguay)
Radamel Falcao (Monaco/Colombia)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Belgium)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris St-Germain/Sweden)
Andres Iniesta (Barcelona/Spain)
Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund/Poland)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)
Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Neymar (Barcelona/Brazil)
Mesut Ozil (Arsenal/Germany)
Andrea Pirlo (Juventus/Italy)
Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich/France)
Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich/Netherlands)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Luis Suarez (Liverpool/Uruguay)
Thiago Silva (Paris St-Germain/Brazil)
Yaya Toure (Manchester City/Ivory Coast)
Robin Van Persie (Manchester United/Netherlands)
Xavi (Barcelona/Spain)

FIFA coach of the year shortlist:
Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid CF)
Rafael Benítez (Napoli)
Antonio Conte (Juventus)
Vicente Del Bosque (Spain)
Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United’s former coach)
Jupp Heynckes (Bayern Munich’s former coach)
Jurgen Klopp (Borussia Dortmund)
Jose Mourinho (Chelsea)
Luiz Felipe Scolari (Brazil)
Arsene Wenger (Arsenal).

Inside Spanish football, Marca, & Bleacher Report are reporting Barca has a pre-agreement in place for Monchengladbach's ter Stegen (6'3")!!!!

FIFA world men’s player of the year shortlist:
Gareth Bale (Real Madrid/Wales)
Edinson Cavani (Paris St-Germain/Uruguay)
Radamel Falcao (Monaco/Colombia)
Eden Hazard (Chelsea/Belgium)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Paris St-Germain/Sweden)
Andres Iniesta (Barcelona/Spain)
Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Robert Lewandowski (Borussia Dortmund/Poland)
Lionel Messi (Barcelona/Argentina)
Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Neymar (Barcelona/Brazil)
Mesut Ozil (Arsenal/Germany)
Andrea Pirlo (Juventus/Italy)
Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich/France)
Arjen Robben (Bayern Munich/Netherlands)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid/Portugal)
Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich/Germany)
Luis Suarez (Liverpool/Uruguay)
Thiago Silva (Paris St-Germain/Brazil)
Yaya Toure (Manchester City/Ivory Coast)
Robin Van Persie (Manchester United/Netherlands)
Xavi (Barcelona/Spain)

Few names on this list that I'm trying to figure out why they are on the list.

EDIT: Portuguese last name here.

Last edited:
Few names on this list that I'm trying to figure out why they are on the list.

Yeah, these lists are always poor.

Hazard, Ozil, Pirlo, Yaya, and Xavi haven't performed/produced at the level of the others, especially in terms of consistency. Suarez has been great, but missed a bunch of games. I'd replace them with Reus, Gundogan, Vidal, Busquets, Hamsik, and Cazorla or Oscar.

The manager list is worse. Mou :lol: All he did was essentially concede La Liga before Christmas, fall out with half the RM squad, become the first manager to lose to Atletico in more than a decade, and lose La Liga by a record # of points. Wenger and Del Bosque shouldn't be on it either. Replace them with Simeone, Mazzarri, and Pekerman who has done a fantastic job with Colombia. Tito should be in there ahead of Ancelotti, whose PSG side won the bare minimum considering their side in comparison to the rest of Ligue 1. Under Blanc, they already look more fluid than they did last season.

:lol: :smh: at that cover

Betis got worked!
Tough for ASSE, was hoping they would pull the W over PSG

Saw both of these late games. Couple of big talents on display. Wanted to get a look at Zouma, and he didn't disappoint. Hard to believe he's 19 - doesn't look or play like it.

Oliver Torres got the start for A.Madrid, and scored after a few seconds. His composure on the ball, passing, and technique are ridiculous. I'd be disappointed if he doesn't eventually end up at Barça. Atletico are so good this season. They didn't even play that well, and gave Betis a hammering. Nice to see Villa get back on the score sheet.

As for Barça, good result in the classic. Didn't play that well, but picked up the points. I still don't like Cesc in the false 9 role, doesn't offer enough verticalidad. Neymar was excellent as usual, and Alexis continues playing well. Midfield faded badly in the second half, and just made me annoyed all over again that Thiago left. Needed someone who can orchestrate, instead had to bring on Song. :smh:
PSK, it was refreshing to see them get a result without depending on Messi to be the protagonist. Playing him in a secondary tactical role was shrewd considering he's not fully fit and how RM wanted to play. He was relatively quiet going forward, but played well defensively -had a number of tackles and recovered a few balls. More importantly, Messi pinned Marcelo back so he couldn't make those overlapping runs that create so much space- which is why CR only had one real crack at goal.
Going against Celta late today, who are coming off a stunning win against Malaga. Coming off a clásico, could be a trap game.

Last edited:
I don't like seeing Cesc playing the false 9 either however he's played well at times in that spot. He's actually played well in a variety of roles Tata has asked him to play.

I wasn't sure how to feel about seeing Messi play wide right. I thought it might have to do with not being match fit but then I thought playing wide right would make him have to chase the ball more which is something he's not used to. Wasn't sure if he was even fit for a role like that.

Zonal Marking had an interesting point about the Clasico in a recent post.

Fabregas upfront

The selection of Fabregas was a slight surprise, and it was particularly interesting to see the role he played. Rather than playing as a pure right-winger or as an additional central midfielder, he spent the game switching positions with Lionel Messi.

Fabregas spent more time in the central position, darting first in front of, then in behind Ramos in the holding role. Messi appeared more frequently on the right flank, involved in direct battles with Marcelo. Late in the first half, with Barca 1-0 up, he played a great one-two with Andres Iniesta before darting in behind Marcelo, and missed a one-on-one with Diego Lopez by a surprisingly large margin.

Often, Barcelona had no-one playing up against Real’s centre-backs, with both Fabregas and Messi coming deep to collect the ball. It meant they dominated possession, could get into dangerous positions between the lines, and also prevented Messi being crowded out by Real’s trio of centre-backs – he found space in the zone between Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo.

But this was also an area of weakness for Barcelona – without the ball. The fact Martino’s side had no permanent right-sided player meant Marcelo was often free, and Alves never had any support against Real’s left-winger (which was most frequently Ronaldo). Many of the away side’s attacks were played down that flank – most notably with Ronaldo’s cross for Khedira just before half-time.

We'll see how this evolves over time I guess. Can't wait to see the game today to see how they respond after the Clasico vs Celticos...

Last edited:
That's me. Portuguese by last name. Hell, I don't even look portuguese but I'm damn proud of my heritage. Finally went to portugal to visit my aunt earlier this year and I can't wait to go back again. Parents are from macau but my grandfathers from both sides of my family were from lisbon. I'm the only one in my family, on both sides, that doesn't know how to speak portuguese except for the common phrases my mom would use to yell at me like eat your chicken, shut your mouth, and wash your hands. Some in our family look full portuguese, some look half, others like me look Chinese more than anything. But everyone single one of us has full portuguese names.

If you see a random Chinese guy walking around San Francisco wearing a portugal kit with the flag draped over my shoulders whenever they play in the World Cup or euro, it will be me.

I don't count you and Coupelt88 as part of the people I described. Language isn't everything, and you should date whoever you want. The type I'm talking about are the ones who barely even know where Portugal is. " Lisbon? is that near London?" (I've literally had some Portuguese girl say that to me when I told her about the cities I was hitting up on my Europe trip :x ). As long as you take pride in your heritage some way that's good enough. It's the ones who are in full denial/ignorance and ashamed of having a last name like Fernandes, Alves, etc. that piss me off.

Last edited:
It's America man, as generations keep passing the more and more tradition fades. I'll be lucky if my grandchildren know where my father and mother are from lol.

I don't like seeing Cesc playing the false 9 either however he's played well at times in that spot. He's actually played well in a variety of roles Tata has asked him to play.

I wasn't sure how to feel about seeing Messi play wide right. I thought it might have to do with not being match fit but then I thought playing wide right would make him have to chase the ball more which is something he's not used to. Wasn't sure if he was even fit for a role like that.

Zonal Marking had an interesting point about the Clasico in a recent post.
We'll see how this evolves over time I guess. Can't wait to see the game today to see how they respond after the Clasico vs Celticos...

Saw that Zonal Marking post. He's always a good read, but depending on how you look at it, there are points of contention.

Regarding Cesc, he notes his central position helped Barça in possession, but in Tata's system they aren't exactly trying to monopolize the ball. They played a medium defensive block, so they were always going to allow Madrid spells of possession. They pressed, but not to the extent they did under Pep and his extreme high block. Pep sacrificed shape for pressing in numbers which made for huge possession figures, Martino favors single pressing the ball but maintaining shape, and Tito was somewhere in between. So if helping maintain possession is all your nominal central attacker is providing you - when it's not even the highest priority - then it's not the best fit. I don't think he had a single shot or created chance. Would much rather have a goal-threat with pace and movement to get in behind - especially with so many players capable of slipping in through-balls. IMO, Tata's selection came down to circumstance, and the desire to fit his four best midfielders into the side. I agree with you in that Cesc has largely done well so far this season -despite being moved around.

Can't say I agree with his point on Barça without the ball. Marcelo wasn't venturing forward much at all - certainly not to the extent he usually does. If you look at the average positional chart for this game and their game against Juve, Marcelo is definitely withdrawn. It's also a bit of a fallacy to suggest most of the attacks came down that flank. Of course they came down that flank, CR plays on that flank and he will get his touches. They weren't able to build that many attacks, but the ones they did manage were always going to come from there. The crucial point is that CR didn't have the space, options, or opportunity he usually does.

Last edited:
View media item 634067
Diego Costa has made up his mind and has decided to represent Spain in the World Cup in Brazil.

Talk about disrespect :smh:

He is going to get eaten alive when he lands in Brazil next year, he may never be allowed back :lol:

I didn't agree with everything Zonal Marking said in the post either. It's amazing how much of a wide array of opinions (good or bad) the pundits can have/write.

There were enough football writers saying what a great game Pique had. They said the same about Masch too however I thought they both made several critical mistakes during the game particularly in the later half.

Masch got away with a penality but I guess that's karmic payback for the terrible calls Real got against Elche...

Wow the interview with the FIFA President.. the lack of respect and mocking a player let alone Ronaldo and the blatant bias towards Messi. He should be forced to apologize.

I don't count you and Coupelt88 as part of the people I described. Language isn't everything, and you should date whoever you want. The type I'm talking about are the ones who barely even know where Portugal is. " Lisbon? is that near London?" (I've literally had some Portuguese girl say that to me when I told her about the cities I was hitting up on my Europe trip
sick.gif
). As long as you take pride in your heritage some way that's good enough. It's the ones who are in full denial/ignorance and ashamed of having a last name like Fernandes, Alves, etc. that piss me off.
It's America man, as generations keep passing the more and more tradition fades. I'll be lucky if my grandchildren know where my father and mother are from lol.
Coup, you're right about Macau being less and less portuguese.  it's been almost 15 years since it was handed over to china and each time i go back it changes.  Most of my parents friends left Macau and went to Portugal or Toronto but they still go back every few years.  The ones that actually stayed and even my aunts/uncles/cousins talks about how much they wish it was still part of portugal and even still considers Macau as part of it. 

Portuguese is still an official language there so all the billboards, road signs, shop signs has both chinese and portguese.  You can still definitely see the Portuguese influence there with the food and culture, but as expected, its slowly dying.

I grew up addressing my aunts, uncles, and grandparents as tia, tio, and avo even though we were more of a chinese speaking family and im going to be sure my kids do the same and address their elders in the portuguese. 

i do have a question for you guys.  i watched the world cups growing up in 94 and 98 but that was as far i got in terms of soccer.  i really got into it in 2002 when i was in Macau during the world cup.   the seleccao had a friendly and did some training in Macau before heading to south korea so i was able to attend a training session and the game.  i just got off the plane a few days earlier and was trying to find a way to watch the nba playoffs so i couldve cared less about a bunch of soccer players holding a training session.  but as soon as the world cup started, i was caught up in the fever. 

We all remember the USA played portugal that year and i was of course rooting for the yanks, but i have to say if they got drawn together in the world cup, i would no doubt in my mind be rooting for the seleccao.  how about you guys?

Personally I would hate for that scenario to happen, cause no matter which one of them wins, it'll be a bittersweet victory since one of my two teams is getting kicked out. I'd just hope for a competitive and exciting game

Wow the interview with the FIFA President.. the lack of respect and mocking a player let alone Ronaldo and the blatant bias towards Messi. He should be forced to apologize.

As much as I dislike Blatter, you're exaggerating. The Messi slurping is disgusting (why people assume he's a saint is beyond me) but there wasn't a lack of respect.

This is what I read:

They are both exceptional players, but they are totally different. They are totally different stars.

'Lionel Messi is a good boy, that every father and every mother would like to take home. He's a good man, he's very fast, and he's not exuberant, he's playing well, he's dancing. He's a kind man, a good boy. That's what makes him so popular, and naturally he'll always get a lot of votes because he plays well and scores goal.

'The other one (Ronaldo) is something else. He is like a commander on the field of play. (Blatter then mock marches around the stage and receives a round of applause).

'This is the other side of football and it's good to have commanders on the field.

'They don't have the same attitude and that gives life to football. One has more expenses for the hairdresser than the other but that doesn't matter.

'I can't say who is the best - there will be a contest again this year at the Ballon d'Or.

'I like both of them, but I prefer Messi.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-mocks-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html#ixzz2j8W1IXK4

Even Ronaldo's friends/teammates (like Xabi Alonso) tell jokes about his hairdressing/fashion expenses :lol:

Last edited:

As much as I dislike Blatter, you're exaggerating. The Messi slurping is disgusting (why people assume he's a saint is beyond me) but there wasn't a lack of respect.

This is what I read:

They are both exceptional players, but they are totally different. They are totally different stars.

'Lionel Messi is a good boy, that every father and every mother would like to take home. He's a good man, he's very fast, and he's not exuberant, he's playing well, he's dancing. He's a kind man, a good boy. That's what makes him so popular, and naturally he'll always get a lot of votes because he plays well and scores goal.

'The other one (Ronaldo) is something else. He is like a commander on the field of play. (Blatter then mock marches around the stage and receives a round of applause).

'This is the other side of football and it's good to have commanders on the field.

'They don't have the same attitude and that gives life to football. One has more expenses for the hairdresser than the other but that doesn't matter.

'I can't say who is the best - there will be a contest again this year at the Ballon d'Or.

'I like both of them, but I prefer Messi.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...er-mocks-Cristiano-Ronaldo.html#ixzz2j8W1IXK4

Even Ronaldo's friends/teammates (like Xabi Alonso) tell jokes about his hairdressing/fashion expenses :lol:

President of an organization should never be telling their preferences. Especially when voting for a winner is coming up soon.

Down right stupid...

I can see the US dominate CONCAcrap like they did this year but with more severance in the future and worldwide matches. It'd be so crazy if American football and soccer coaches trained the players. The strength of a football player with the agility,endurance, and speed of a soccer player :pimp:

FUU, there's only so much your CNS can handle thought...

Back
Top Bottom