The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Now it's time to see if Woodward can actually do his job...

@DeadlineDayLive: Fabio Coentrão has agreed a deal to join Manchester United but Real Madrid are unlikely to allow him to leave this month. (Source: Guardian)
I suppose his departure was imminent after the rumored loan in the Summer window. Wish him the best, he's a premier LB if he can channel his Benfica playing days. The work rate and conditioning are top notch.

Defensively, at this point, I'll take anyone over Patrice. Son doesn't even bother to track back and defend.

Okay not ANYONE, cause Büttner is trash :lol:

Ronaldo ended up getting a double helping RM finish 3-0. The last goal he had came from a nice assist from Jada's guy Bale.

@UberFotbalFacts: Cristiano Ronaldo has now scored 352 Club goals, the exact same amount as Brazil's Ronaldo.

@UberFotbalFacts: Ronaldo has now scored his 400th career goal.

It's seriously disgusting how you just expect Ronnie and a healthy Messi to be on the score sheet every match, and how routine it is for them to get braces.

It's seriously disgusting how you just expect Ronnie and a healthy Messi to be on the score sheet every match, and how routine it is for them to get braces.

I've been known to say that they play in a weaker or less defensive league, but it's plain as daylight to see that they're in another world. What really impressed me about Ronaldo this past year is son was beasting through champions league, then that incredible match against Ibra and nem lol. Consistently performing at the highest level against different teams, in different conditions, sometimes with different teammates. Simply incredible.
Ronaldo and Messi getting a brace feels as normal as many teams just scoring a goal.

Whenever I hear people think the prem & how it's supposedly the best football, I think of this scene from Spinal Tap... Like Jack Wilshire saying, "In English football, we tackle..." It's like Nigel saying, "these go to 11"...

Style of play is subjective and a matter of opinion, but there's definitely a BPL bias here in the states since it's had the best television coverage, and is the most relatable league to white english speaking folks. For some reason it's just easier to get into BPL culture and pick a team to start rooting for as well. Maybe for the aforementioned reasons.

A lot of soccer fans here in the US are relatively new too, and seeing them have the most 5 star clubs in fifa over the years in addition to multiple CL final appearances and winners (including the all England United v Chelsea one) would make you believe it's the best league talent-wise (which is debatable, I'm not saying it isn't) but people confuse output, talent, and winning with technical ability and style of play.

For me outside of teams like Everton under Martinez, Arsenal, & City under Pellegrini I liken watching the Prem to watching footy from the stone ages. It can be such a soul sapping experience to me.

View media item 730492

For me outside of teams like Everton under Martinez, Arsenal, & City under Pellegrini I liken watching the Prem to watching footy from the stone ages. It can be such a soul sapping experience to me.

View media item 730492
Swansea under Buck and Laudrup for me.

I enjoy Newcastle as well under Pardew. Largely because of Cabaye pulling the strings.

Outside of Bony's performance this past weekend, Swansea has looked horrible this campaign. Just horrible. I don't even think Laudrup gets up to patrol the technical area anymore. Their play has largely looked uninspired like they're playing for a check.

Last edited:

You based in UK?
Yes Sir, England
my man 
nthat.gif

my-man-o.gif

Style of play is subjective and a matter of opinion, but there's definitely a BPL bias here in the states since it's had the best television coverage, and is the most relatable league to white english speaking folks. For some reason it's just easier to get into BPL culture and pick a team to start rooting for as well. Maybe for the aforementioned reasons.

A lot of soccer fans here in the US are relatively new too, and seeing them have the most 5 star clubs in fifa over the years in addition to multiple CL final appearances and winners (including the all England United v Chelsea one) would make you believe it's the best league talent-wise (which is debatable, I'm not saying it isn't) but people confuse output, talent, and winning with technical ability and style of play.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying. When I was saying that La Liga isn't as defensive, I think the leagues style of play is much more open, creative, and attacking. Often times I feel like the EPL can just be too defensive and not creative and open enough. Watching teams like Stoke, Fulham, West Brom etc can be like watching paint dry...

Call me crazy but i think CR would score even more goals in BPL if he played on a team like Chelsea or Man City

Defensively, at this point, I'll take anyone over Patrice. Son doesn't even bother to track back and defend.

Okay not ANYONE, cause Büttner is trash :lol:
I seriously would contemplate playing evra as a left winger from time to time if Fabio is signed.

Call me crazy but i think CR would score even more goals in BPL if he played on a team like Chelsea or Man City

Na he wouldn't score more goals in the EPL, neither him nor Messi would. Of course they'd score more than 30 goals a season but the amount of goals they score in La Liga they couldn't do in England. I'm not saying that because I think the EPL is better, they just play so much more defensive and physical. More goals than what they're doing now? That's reaching. Maybe if Ronnie was on Man City he'd have a shot since they have so many technically sound playmakers and a "Spanish" style of play.

(I have to do a Eusebio video honor post soon)

Theo Walcott was trolling the Spurs fans with a torn ACL? That's heart. :lol:

Last edited:
Congrats to Kaka on scoring his 100 goal for AC Milan today.

View media item 730629
I love Italian TV personality Tiziano Crudeli going super Sayin about the matter on TV. That guy makes Ray Hudson sound like Ben Stein. Hopefully the woman manning the Ricola display on set hooked him up with some cough/throat drops. :lol: I don't watch that show but it would be funny to see Stephen A Smith & Skip Bayless to go at it like this...

Some pics from fans paying respects to Eusebio yesterday in Lisbon. Also congrats to Ronnie for scoring his 400th goals...

View media item 730633View media item 730634
Pele & Cristiano paying respects via Twitter when news broke of Eusebio's passing.

View media item 730647View media item 730649

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom