The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Miranda sounded great until I heard he was 29 :rolleyes

I guess it's a stop gap.

But damn, for 24m.

Damn that's a lot, at least he's ready to play. We are going to run out money trying to rebuild that defense. Turan for a discount would be a nice addition. Doubtful though.

These are some of the worst examples to support your theory.

-Aquilani: could barely get a string of games together due to his injuries. Didn't Liverpool sign him while he was injured?
-Balo: great talent, but known as one of the world worst work ethics, doesn't matter where he plays.
-Maicon: wasn't he like 30 already when he arrived at City? You can't expect a 30 year old defender to come in and beast.
-Lamela: the manager who first got him (AVB), didn't even want the player. You think he's going to flourish under a manager who didn't even want to sign him?

I have just come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you're speaking of. That's okay, cause we all started somewhere, but to make such outlandish statements, just won't help your path in seeking knowledge and understanding of the beautiful game.

You say players from Italy, Spain and France struggle in the prem....here is list of players off the top of my mind that either were good, great and absolute MONSTERS on the pitch...

France: Clichy, Evra, Sagna, KING CANTONA, HENRY DA GOD, Remy, Cabaye, Giroud (sorta lol), Anelka, Flamini, Gallas, BOSSCIELNY, Lloris, Malouda, NA$RI, Pires, Veira..

Italy: Swagotelli, Gianfranco Zola, Mannone, Borini (finding his feet now at Blunderland)...

Spain: Almunia, Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Azpilicueta, CATHORLA, Gerry Deulofeu, MICHU, De Gea, Fabregado, SPECIAL JUAN, JESUS EL SAVIOR NAVAS, Negredo, Mr. Shakira (look, before any of you say anything, :lol: he was great at United), Reina, El Nino (let us know forget the menace he was at The Kop), Silva, Salgado, Goldado (his time to shine will come soon :lol:)

So with all all of those names mentioned, are we just going to chalk those up to "exceptions"? No, we won't.

Pogba would have absolutely ZERO issues fitting into the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Citeh...
Dont patronize me; thanks. If we're just going to name people then I guess I will.

France: Chamakh, Giroud, Marlet, Squillaci, Cheyrou, Bellion
Spain: Reyes, Navas, Luque, Enrique

And have you seen Maicon this season? Dudes an animal for Roma

I'm not one to attack people so I'll be civil. You make yourself a target making those assumptions. Your trying to pass off an opinion (however misguided) as fact.

It would be more accurate to say the Prem is made up of a majority of foreign players (apprx 70%-75%) & it seems some of these players have a hard time adjusting so it makes the rate of failure or struggle even look even greater than it really is.

Point blank, all the best players in the Prem are foreign. If the Prem relied on English players to be successful, it would be the Championship & even the Championship sides needs it share of foreign players...

Apologies to our English bloke @HEGGSY... :D

Last edited:
You say players from Italy, Spain and France struggle in the prem....here is list of players off the top of my mind that either were good, great and absolute MONSTERS on the pitch...

France: Clichy, Evra, Sagna, KING CANTONA, HENRY DA GOD, Remy, Cabaye, Giroud (sorta lol), Anelka, Flamini, Gallas, BOSSCIELNY, Lloris, Malouda, NA$RI, Pires, Veira..

Italy: Swagotelli, Gianfranco Zola, Mannone, Borini (finding his feet now at Blunderland)...

Spain: Almunia, Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Azpilicueta, CATHORLA, Gerry Deulofeu, MICHU, De Gea, Fabregado, SPECIAL JUAN, JESUS EL SAVIOR NAVAS, Negredo, Mr. Shakira (look, before any of you say anything, :lol: he was great at United), Reina, El Nino (let us know forget the menace he was at The Kop), Silva, Salgado, Goldado (his time to shine will come soon :lol:)
Dont patronize me; thanks. If we're just going to name people then I guess I will.

My man, come on...

Giroud put away 22 goals this season. How is Giroud struggling this season? The only issue for Giroud is like most Arsenal players, he ran out of gas cause there's no backup option. Like all strikers, Giroud isn't going to score every single game, others need to step up (When Suarez was out, Sturridge put it work, when Aguero was out, up came Negredo, when Negredo started mis-firing, The Bosnian Diamond came to finish the job).

I think what's being confused here (and this is not being patronizing) is the difference between a player struggling to fit into a certain team, versus a certain league. For instance, JESUS EL SAVIOR NAVAS is excellent. But Citeh is stacked. And it's the sort of team, where if you don't find your feet immediately in the system or squad someone else will take your place (same thing Villa said about Barca when he came back from injury; the team simply progressed without him). That's just natural for teams who have high pressure and trophy expectations, and often boat loads of money.

Over the years it's been consistently proven that Spanish, French and Italians hold their own in the prem.

I still maintain, Pogba would BEAST. He was already promising at United, when he had his first team chances.

My man, come on...

Giroud put away 22 goals this season. How is Giroud struggling this season? The only issue for Giroud is like most Arsenal players, he ran out of gas cause there's no backup option. Like all strikers, Giroud isn't going to score every single game, others need to step up (When Suarez was out, Sturridge put it work, when Aguero was out, up came Negredo, when Negredo started mis-firing, The Bosnian Diamond came to finish the job).

I think what's being confused here (and this is not being patronizing) is the difference between a player struggling to fit into a certain team, versus a certain league. For instance, JESUS EL SAVIOR NAVAS is excellent. But Citeh is stacked. And it's the sort of team, where if you don't find your feet immediately in the system or squad someone else will take your place (same thing Villa said about Barca when he came back from injury; the team simply progressed without him). That's just natural for teams who have high pressure and trophy expectations, and often boat loads of money.

Over the years it's been consistently proven that Spanish, French and Italians hold their own in the prem.

I still maintain, Pogba would BEAST. He was already promising at United, when he had his first team chances.
I watched every one of Arsenal's games this season and last. Giroud is not the same player for us that he was for Marseille and is for France. He only scored against bottom half team this season. As much as I like him it is clear that he is not very well suited for the PL

Romelu Lukaku's Marvelous Solo Goal Should Get More People on the Crowded Belgium World Cup Bandwagon

By: Mike Cardillo 16 hours ago

Romelu Lukaku scored 15 goals in the Premier League on-loan from Chelsea at Everton this year. Were any of those tallies as spectacular as the one he notched in a pre-World Cup tuneup against Benelux cousin Luxembourg to cap a hat trick over the weekend?

Before anwering that, that’s remember that nobody in the Premier League — even relegated Cardiff City — was as woeful defending at these hapless (likely semi-pro) Luxembourgers. Not even Paul Scholes in his prime is going to lunge in that wildly at the top of the penalty area.

Romelu Lukaku sick goal-b

Regardless of the opposition, that’s a quality finish from the Belgian striker. Belgium — the consensus surprise/darkhorse team ahead of the of the tournament – will need Lukaku at his best since he’s the only experienced pure striker on the roster for Brazil after Christian Benteke injured himself. Without Lukaku all Belgium have to turn to is 19-year-old Divock Origi, who has one cap to his name.

A goal like this impresses about everyone on the planet except for one man: Jose Mourinho.

The Chelsea boss doesn’t rate Lukaku and is set to bring Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid to Stamford Bridge. Where Lukaku ends up will be fascinating. If he shines at the World Cup, Everton — which would love to retain him — won’t be able to afford to bring him aboard full time.

Last edited:
Just to add on actually, there' so much involved in a players success in a team, let alone a league. System and management play a MASSIVE role.

A perfect example in the Prem is NA$RI. Under Mancini, his role was limited, and he didn't have as much freedom, hence he didn't really flourish. One could even say maybe he struggled. But the moment Pellegrini came around, and let him express himself more on the pitch, suddenly NA$RI became so influential in many games.

If NA$RI played only under Mancini and left after a season or two, you could easily say that French player struggled in England, but the truth is, he struggled under than manager, not in that league.

My man, come on...

I watched every one of Arsenal's games this season and last. Giroud is not the same player for us that he was for Marseille and is for France. He only scored against bottom half team this season. As much as I like him it is clear that he is not very well suited for the PL

Giroud was the 6th top scorer in the premier league, and the 4th highest striker in assists, and scored 22 goals in all competition this season. While all the other scorers above him had subs to come and help, he did not. Yup, clearly struggled.

Giroud has never even played for Marseille, he played for Montpellier.

Anyway, I'm very confident that when Arsenal actually has a backup striker, and a better medical team, you'll see more goals out of Giroud again.

Last edited:
Romelu Lukaku's Marvelous Solo Goal Should Get More People on the Crowded Belgium World Cup Bandwagon

By: Mike Cardillo 16 hours ago

Romelu Lukaku scored 15 goals in the Premier League on-loan from Chelsea at Everton this year. Were any of those tallies as spectacular as the one he notched in a pre-World Cup tuneup against Benelux cousin Luxembourg to cap a hat trick over the weekend?

Before anwering that, that’s remember that nobody in the Premier League — even relegated Cardiff City — was as woeful defending at these hapless (likely semi-pro) Luxembourgers. Not even Paul Scholes in his prime is going to lunge in that wildly at the top of the penalty area.

Romelu Lukaku sick goal-b

Regardless of the opposition, that’s a quality finish from the Belgian striker. Belgium — the consensus surprise/darkhorse team ahead of the of the tournament – will need Lukaku at his best since he’s the only experienced pure striker on the roster for Brazil after Christian Benteke injured himself. Without Lukaku all Belgium have to turn to is 19-year-old Divock Origi, who has one cap to his name.

A goal like this impresses about everyone on the planet except for one man: Jose Mourinho.

The Chelsea boss doesn’t rate Lukaku and is set to bring Diego Costa from Atletico Madrid to Stamford Bridge.
Where Lukaku ends up will be fascinating. If he shines at the World Cup, Everton — which would love to retain him — won’t be able to afford to bring him aboard full time.
This is such lazy journalism. And inaccurate. 

Lukaku himself has said that Jose wanted him to stay at Chelsea this year and not go on loan. But Lukaku asked for a loan so he could get more PT in a world cup year. 

I never understood why Mourinho was blamed for Lukaku going out on loan. Lukaku asked to go out on loan after the Bayern match and than reversed it on Mourinho isaying he was asked to go out on loan and wasn't sure why.

Last edited:
I actually like Giroud man. I wish **** fans gave him more respect.
I love the guy and I do respect what does. But the type of player he is doesnt suit us very well. He is not agile and cannot create on his own. However his little flick ons that have led to so many goals are great.

Thanks for naming a handful of people who struggled compared to the HUNDREDS of great foreign players in the EPL. You're talking about how foreign people can't handle the EPL yet you support Arsenal? A team that had one of the greatest sides in football history thanks to some "struggling French and Dutch guys"? The team that had great attacking power until recently when there were "struggling" Spanish, Dutch, and French guys on the team that Barcelona, Man United, and Man City (all champions) picked up? The team whose best defender is French and best midfielder is German?

Look at the top 4 teams in the EPL; all of them are where they are because of foreigners. You're xenophobic and in denial

Last edited:
Xenophobic? Hahahaha good Lord. That makes absolutely no sense. Im American, I support an English team, my favorite players are Russian, and my favorite player on Arsenal is Giroud. In what way is that xenophobic? Dont be thick.

All of a sudden your favorite players are foreigners now...got it

You sound exactly like the xenophobic English fans who are concerned about foreigners coming in and taking over "their" game (even though it already happened many years ago), so they start lying to themselves about how foreigners can't handle the almighty EPL.

And thanks for completely avoiding the main questions. I've seen you trolling in General too so I guess I shouldn't be surprised

Last edited:
I really dont get how youve determined I'm xenophobic from saying I dont think Pogba will do well in the PL.. My favorite players are not "all of a sudden" foriegn. Andrei Arshavin and Aleksandr Kerzhakov have been my joint favorite player for years. I have two Kerzhakov jersies. I am not xenophobic and that accusation is totally irrelevant to this discussion. I love foreign cultures. I'm studying Russian history, I went out of my way to learn Spanish, and I am constantly learning about foreign countries. Dont slander me. You don't know me.

This dude oneilmatt oneilmatt is sticking to his guns and logic, no matter how unfounded they seem to most of us.

Going back to your original post on Pogba... if you do not believe he will do well in the Prem, give us examples of which foreign players NOT currently playing in the PL would do well if they made the switch. I ask because based on your string of posts so far, I still don't know how the hell you are drawing your conclusions about who has what it takes to thrive and who will falter in the Prem :lol:

tense-dragons-den-o.gif

I really dont get how youve determined I'm xenophobic from saying I dont think Pogba will do well in the PL.. My favorite players are not "all of a sudden" foriegn. Andrei Arshavin and Aleksandr Kerzhakov have been my joint favorite player for years. I have two Kerzhakov jersies. I am not xenophobic and that accusation is totally irrelevant to this discussion. I love foreign cultures. I'm studying Russian history, I went out of my way to learn Spanish, and I am constantly learning about foreign countries. Dont slander me. You don't know me.

Like I said you're in denial. You literally said that foreigners can't handle the EPL, even though the teams that win the EPL every year are full of foreigners. It just makes no sense. There's plenty of dudes like you that say "(insert non Anglo player here) can't handle the physicality of the EPL" and then go into hiding when that player ends up being one of the best in the league.

What's even more confusing is that the midfielders you listed that these foreigners supposedly can't handle are foreigners themselves, so you're arguing against your own point

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom