The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Also, ideally, Pochettino can end this ridiculous streak:

Pochettino left Southampton becoming Spurs' tenth manager in 12 years. :x

Indifferent to Pochettino at the moment, definitely wouldn't have been my first choice -too many similarities with the AVB situation, young, unproven manager who has never won anything of note aside from a couple of Copa Del Reys and one Premier League manager of the month award (AVB won two!
laugh.gif
)

Plus sides, plays attacking football with a high line, well liked in the dressing room and managed to get some good performances out of average players last term... could (should) hopefully bring the best out of Lamella being a fellow Argentine.

I mean, who knows? It could work out well... one thing for certain is that there isn't the same air of expectancy around the club like there was last season after we spent all that money... after last season the bar has been lowered considerably and the majority of Spurs fans aren't even thinking of a top 4 finish as even remotely realistic this time around.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure it will be the same old story... 2 or 3 poor results, the media and the fans will start to turn on him and he'll be out by January.

*On a side note: Probably nothing but  Baldini flew out to Barcelona this afternoon...right after announcing we have a new manager & £50 mil to spend 
nerd.gif

I don't believe that Pogba would do well in the PL. Much more physical league, less space to move, better defenders. Better foreign players have tried and struggled; IE Ozil.

:lol: Did you really just compare Ozil to Pogba?

First off, your definition of "better foreign player" seems very skewed. Ozil and Pogba is like comparing Steve Nash to Paul George. You should measure their skillsets individually, not by the same scale. Based on that, Pogba is 6'2 and is to say the least, respected for his physicality and dominance of the midfield. Watch some of his Juve highlights and you will see how well he shields the ball just with brute strength alone.

Pogba and Ozil are completely different players

glad slamcity took care of this

Last edited:
I don't believe that Pogba would do well in the PL. Much more physical league, less space to move, better defenders. Better foreign players have tried and struggled; IE Ozil.

First of all...Serie A is just as physical as the EPL. If not more.

2nd...have you actually watched him play? He has the build of a Yaya Toure and is very physical. He'll be fine. He's a physical midfielder not some finesse attacking player like Ozil.

Transfer news: Chelsea's Eden Hazard ignoring transfer talk

One player on the books at Stamford Bridge already destined to make a move across the Channel this summer is David Luiz, with PSG having agreed a big-money deal for the Brazilian defender.

It has been suggested that Hazard will soon be following him to the French capital, with PSG making no secret of their admiration for the Belgium international.

Hazard is, however, growing accustomed to dealing with transfer talk.

He says he has learned how to ignore the gossip and focus on his football, with the World Cup finals of greater interest to him at present than speculation surrounding his future.

Hazard said while away with his country: "If you got to know me you'd know I'm not someone who is disturbed by it.

"Every year they say I'm everywhere. It's part of the job.

"I focus on the World Cup, which is much more important than what is said in the papers."

Reports that Hazard could be tempted to quit Chelsea this summer intensified on the back of comments he made questioning the tactics of manager Jose Mourinho.

The Portuguese tactician hit back by claiming that Hazard was not 'a team player', but those inside the Stamford Bridge camp consider any differences to have been ironed out and harmony to have been restored.

German midfielder Andre Schurrle said: "The manager and the club know that Eden Hazard is a very talented player. I think we should not overestimate these things.

"Of course statements were published, but I believe Eden is very happy to be with Chelsea and Mourinho is happy to have him.

"Next season everything will be all right again."

Could have used a better comparison, but oh well. Pogba's size is unusual in the Serie A, which is why, along with his on-the-ball ability, he excels. There are only two starting, opposing midfielders in the whole league who can compete with him physically: De Jong and De Rossi. Defenders are strong in every major league, bar France, so that is irrelevant. The Serie A is not as physical as the Premiership, period. It is not hard to boss a midfield while whipping around midgets like Pirlo and Marchisio. If he moved to the PL he would not be able to use his physicality to control games like he does now. Yaya, Fellaini (I know, I know), Sandro, Matic, Dembele, Wanyama, Fer, Diame; the list goes on and on. History has shown that foreign players often struggle in the BPL, and I see nothing in Pogba to suggest he'd be different.

I watched the final with my old man Saturday and it was just an unforgettable experience. To say this is just a club/team is an understatement, hell, I treat this club as my own religion. Tears were definitely shed Saturday, both good and bad. Being able to witness this team make history and get La Decima will never be forgotten. It'll be something I can share with my kids and their kids later on down the road. Yeah this team wasn't the machine squad from 2012, who by the way would have completely put that Chelsea squad in the dirt, but they were still special in their own way. I said at the beginning of the season the only thing that would make the Özil transfer all forgiven would be La Decima, and there it is.

I really don't see how Atleti played/looked like they wanted it more for those 90 minutes before the RM goal, maybe I'm biased but if it wasn't for Iker's mistake (I'll get into that later), they would have never scored. Sure the game would have been different, but I just don't see how they outplayed Real for 90 minutes. I will give credit to Atleti's defense, hard to break down. Before anyone gives me that excuse that the Spanish announcers were also saying, how Atleti players were all tired/gassed because of the used Costa sub, Real started with the same amount of players and had the same amount of substitutions. You don't think the Real side was tired too? That just shows who wanted it more. Di Maria being the perfect example. Limping out there and having a damn 4th wind kick in when the team needed him. I will say that the lack of finishing was terrible all game. Some key players for the RM side not being 100% was a factor.

Any Spanish speakers watch the game in Spanish on Fox Deportes? I can't stand Daniel Brailovsky. We get it, you love Messi and hate Ronaldo, shut up man.

Reminds me of some posters in here who have to mention Messi when he nor Barca are even playing and vice versa.

Gonna post my individual evaluation of each player and the team later in the week. I'm treating this as a school assignment.

Whoever makes the thread for next season should make weekly polls and whatnot, make the thread more interesting. Could start with the WC too.

Anyway, some visuals from the final/celebration:

View media item 993520
View media item 993530
View media item 993532
View media item 993536
View media item 993544
View media item 993542
View media item 993552
View media item 993554
View media item 993557
View media item 993558
View media item 993561
Tio Florentino :smokin

View media item 993566
View media item 993581
View media item 993583
I should have used spoilers, eh oh well.

Could have used a better comparison, but oh well. Pogba's size is unusual in the Serie A, which is why, along with his on-the-ball ability, he excels. There are only two starting, opposing midfielders in the whole league who can compete with him physically: De Jong and De Rossi. Defenders are strong in every major league, bar France, so that is irrelevant. The Serie A is not as physical as the Premiership, period. It is not hard to boss a midfield while whipping around midgets like Pirlo and Marchisio. If he moved to the PL he would not be able to use his physicality to control games like he does now. Yaya, Fellaini (I know, I know), Sandro, Matic, Dembele, Wanyama, Fer, Diame; the list goes on and on. History has shown that foreign players often struggle in the BPL, and I see nothing in Pogba to suggest he'd be different.
Serie A is just as physical as the PL. Sure the tempo and pace are slower but there's not some huge gap in physicality. 

Everything you said is moot anyway given Pogba is an athletic freak in any league in the world. 

@samuelj29060 Rosický has turned down a lucrative move to Saudi Arabia, the Czech press have confirmed: http://bit.ly/1gyuHYx
- Chelsea have asked PSG about the availability of Lavezzi, during the Luiz negotiations:
- Dortmund have tonight agreed a fee with Torino & Juventus for Serie A top scorer Immobile: http://bit.ly/SMEy2g
- Arsenal are speaking with Rabiot's agents. PSG deal ends 2015, Wenger likes the midfielder: http://bit.ly/1oqIHGu
- Bayern Munich board confirm Shaqiri will not be sold this summer
- Atlético midfielder Tiago is to rejoin Chelsea on a free transfer this summer: http://bit.ly/1peHamW

I really don't see how Atleti played/looked like they wanted it more for those 90 minutes before the RM goal, maybe I'm biased but if it wasn't for Iker's mistake (I'll get into that later), they would have never scored. Sure the game would have been different, but I just don't see how they outplayed Real for 90 minutes. I will give credit to Atleti's defense, hard to break down. Before anyone gives me that excuse that the Spanish announcers were also saying, how Atleti players were all tired/gassed because of the used Costa sub, Real started with the same amount of players and had the same amount of substitutions. You don't think the Real side was tired too? That just shows who wanted it more. Di Maria being the perfect example. Limping out there and having a damn 4th wind kick in when the team needed him. I will say that the lack of finishing was terrible all game. Some key players for the RM side not being 100% was a factor.

Nah.

Real didn't "want it more". Atletico were more gassed because they have a much more intense, aggressive style of play than Real. Over 90 minutes they're fine, but over 120 it's a different story when you play that relentless, pressing style of football that Atletico plays.

Real likes to sit back and counter. Everybody knows that. Atletico like to hound the opposition while they have the ball. That's the reason Atletico were more tired than Real in ET. Had nothing to do with wanting it more. Just came down to style of play.

Did you just start watching soccer a week ago or something? The reason the EPL is where it is today is because of so many foreign players coming in and succeeding, otherwise it would have died off and turn into a slightly better SPL :stoneface:

Last edited:
Did you just start watching soccer a week ago or something? The reason the EPL is where it is today is because of so many foreign players coming in and succeeding, otherwise it would have died off and turn into a slightly better SPL :stoneface:
No. Ive been following European soccer for 6 years, specifically Arsenal and Zenit. I know enough to tell you the players from Italy, Spain, and France struggle in the PL. Even though there are obviously exceptions. Players like Aquilani, Balo, Maicon, and Lamela are just a few recent examples.

No. Ive been following European soccer for 6 years, specifically Arsenal and Zenit. I know enough to tell you the players from Italy, Spain, and France struggle in the PL. Even though there are obviously exceptions. Players like Aquilani, Balo, Maicon, and Lamela are just a few recent examples.
:smh:

You can keep shaking your head, mate. It doesnt make what I said invalid. I have quite a bit of experience with soccer in Europe. Just because I'm not a "galactico" who has never gone a year as a fan without massive success doesnt make me stupid

It's strange how distortedly people are remembering this CL final.

Atletico did not look like the better side for the first 90.

Once Real subbed in Isco and Marcelo they started to dominate the match and looked like a side of true footballers vs 2nd class opposition. And they didn't sit back and wait to counter. They controlled possession for the final third of the 90.

Back
Top Bottom