The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Another thing I may have forgotten to post or haven't seen posted is how dope it is that in his first season, Gareth Bale scored the cup winners against both of Real's arch rivals. A storybook way to win over your new team's fans.

Last edited:
It's strange how distortedly people are remembering this CL final.

Atletico did not look like the better side for the first 90.

Once Real subbed in Isco and Marcelo they started to dominate the match and looked like a side of true footballers vs 2nd class opposition. And they didn't sit back and wait to counter. They controlled possession for the final third of the 90.
Bro, I watched it live and uninterruputed. I am not biased in any way. Atletico were the better side for 80 minutes. They completely shut down Ronaldo. They closed everyone down instantly and ran their legs off. The substitutions by Real didnt do much at all. Iscos inclusion pushed play up more but Marcelo really did nothing. Atletico were thr better team for most of that game. Obviously Real are the better team, but they were not on Saturday. They won because Atletico had nothing left to give in ET.

Atletico only had 3 shots on goal out of 5 total, after 120 min of play.

They were gassed because they were hanging on for dear life on the defensive end, and they did a pretty damn good job at it I'll give them that, but being in control and the better side? Comedy.

Last edited:
No. Ive been following European soccer for 6 years, specifically Arsenal and Zenit. I know enough to tell you the players from Italy, Spain, and France struggle in the PL. Even though there are obviously exceptions. Players like Aquilani, Balo, Maicon, and Lamela are just a few recent examples.
Son....
I cant speak for Italy but David Silva, Jesus Navas, Santi Cazorla, Negredo, De Gea, Azpilicueta=Spain

Cabaye, Nasri, Giroud, Ben Arfa, Remy, Clichy, Koscielny, Lloris=France

What struggle you talkin bout?

You can keep shaking your head, mate. It doesnt make what I said invalid. I have quite a bit of experience with soccer in Europe. Just because I'm not a "galactico" who has never gone a year as a fan without massive success doesnt make me stupid
roll.gif
roll.gif

Did you just start watching soccer a week ago or something? The reason the EPL is where it is today is because of so many foreign players coming in and succeeding, otherwise it would have died off and turn into a slightly better SPL :stoneface:
No. Ive been following European soccer for 6 years, specifically Arsenal and Zenit. I know enough to tell you the players from Italy, Spain, and France struggle in the PL. Even though there are obviously exceptions. Players like Aquilani, Balo, Maicon, and Lamela are just a few recent examples.

These are some of the worst examples to support your theory.

-Aquilani: could barely get a string of games together due to his injuries. Didn't Liverpool sign him while he was injured?
-Balo: great talent, but known as one of the world worst work ethics, doesn't matter where he plays.
-Maicon: wasn't he like 30 already when he arrived at City? You can't expect a 30 year old defender to come in and beast.
-Lamela: the manager who first got him (AVB), didn't even want the player. You think he's going to flourish under a manager who didn't even want to sign him?

I have just come to the conclusion that you have no idea what you're speaking of. That's okay, cause we all started somewhere, but to make such outlandish statements, just won't help your path in seeking knowledge and understanding of the beautiful game.

You say players from Italy, Spain and France struggle in the prem....here is list of players off the top of my mind that either were good, great and absolute MONSTERS on the pitch...

France: Clichy, Evra, Sagna, KING CANTONA, HENRY DA GOD, Remy, Cabaye, Giroud (sorta lol), Anelka, Flamini, Gallas, BOSSCIELNY, Lloris, Malouda, NA$RI, Pires, Veira..

Italy: Swagotelli, Gianfranco Zola, Mannone, Borini (finding his feet now at Blunderland)...

Spain: Almunia, Arteta, Xabi Alonso, Azpilicueta, CATHORLA, Gerry Deulofeu, MICHU, De Gea, Fabregado, SPECIAL JUAN, JESUS EL SAVIOR NAVAS, Negredo, Mr. Shakira (look, before any of you say anything, :lol: he was great at United), Reina, El Nino (let us know forget the menace he was at The Kop), Silva, Salgado, Goldado (his time to shine will come soon :lol:)

So with all all of those names mentioned, are we just going to chalk those up to "exceptions"? No, we won't.

Pogba would have absolutely ZERO issues fitting into the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, United and Citeh...

^ eiddy, I hit my limit but I'll rep you when it expires. Those are great social commentaries...

:lol: @ the talk that "foreign" players struggle in the Prem. English players struggle in the prem, that's why there aren't that many of them that excel. You wanna talk about struggling, look at the English national team. That's the embodiment of struggle right there. Plus, only apprx 30% of the players in the Prem are "English". Aside from a few teams, watching the Prem is like watching dinosaurs die in tar...

Last edited:
SIGNING: Atlético Madrid reach deal for San Lorenzo's Angel Correa (ClubAtleticodeMadrid)

I wonder if San Lorenzo get's a cut of any future transfer fee & if so how much?

You really have to admire how Atletico put together their roster on such limited funds. The partnership between the management team & Cholo is unreal. This is a club that's reported to have apprx €250 mill in debt. Other clubs like this in any league should take heed of what this Madrid club is doing.

Last edited:
I can't find it in youth sizes... I did get him an away USA shirt with Bradley's name set. Plus, my wife said no more shirts as he has 14 now...
Haha, just one more! 

Did Nike not make a youth kit, or are they just not available?

[thread="561201"] [/thread]
I can't find it in youth sizes... I did get him an away USA shirt with Bradley's name set. Plus, my wife said no more shirts as he has 14 now...

Haha, just one more! 

Did Nike not make a youth kit, or are they just not available?

I'm sure Nike made them in youth sizes but I don't see them available on the sites I normally shop at. I'll proly get one after the WC if I find in youth sizes & just say it was too good a deal to pass up... I got the current home United shirt with my son's name set from WSS when they had them on sale for $24 in honor of Giggs 24 years with the club. That was supposed to be the last one until our son outgrew the ones he has...

FIFA made a last minute requirement of Spain to produce another shirt as they weren't allowed to have 2 dark shirts. Sounds like this could effect other teams as well.

View media item 994756

Yea I was reading that on Marca yesterday. FIFA won't allow Spain to play in Red vs the Netherlands who would play in blue. Something about FIFA and the TV companies not wanting color vs color.

How any viewer would have a hard time watching a team in red vs blue is beyond me. We don't have a black/white tv's anymore man lol. Spain is fighting it tho. You're right, other teams may end up having the same issue.

Must say tho, the white Spain kit is better than that black/neon garbage. So that's the positive.

I like the black & neon. It's different. A lot of footy traditionalists hate new color schemes. One of the fathers on my son's old club is first gen US born Nigerian. We chat all the time & he absolutely hates the new Nigerian home kit because the neon green is the primary color & the darker green is the accent color. He wanted it the other way around because the darker green is more traditional. He just about fell over when I showed him the new United chevy shirt (he's a United fan)....

I don't see Pochettino making Spurs better & ditto with Inzaghi at Milan...

Back
Top Bottom