The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Er you certainly did make him out to be exciting with talk of hat-tricks and bicycles, as if he pulls off such feats regularly. Obviously it's subjective, and as a United fan you're biased, but I don't find him all that exciting.
As for Cantona and Ronaldo those two had individual brilliance that had nothing to do with the team - the kind of brilliance people show up in droves to see. Everyone knows of Ronaldo's accomplishments, but Cantona at his best was league player of the year as United won the double. For me, Rooney just doesn't have that same magic. If he did, I somehow doubt Sir Alex would be bidding some 30 million on an under 20 attacker with flair they don't really need. Again, I think he's a great player, and this is all subjective and relative.

United does need Moura. Just not for our current problem.

SAF has ALWAYS built teams from youth, while mixing in experience. If you look at the pre-season team (minus Bebe, Berba & Scholes), you'll see that they're the next generation, and he is looking for a Ronaldo like player (Moura) to fit into that team.

Moura has amazing ability and moulded under someone like a SAF, he has potential to be insanely lethal. He has the potential to reach "the kind of brilliance people show up in droves to see".

I agree, it's subjective, you may not find Rooney exciting, but that's your opinion. While I take nothing away from the greatness of Cantona & Ronaldo, just also remember the amazing supporting cast that they had around them.

That is EXACTLY what it is.
I posted an article here about the Glazers trying to list United on a stock exchange, hoping that investors would chow up some of the clubs debt.
For that to happen, they need to have an insane season this year, so show that they're not only competitive, but winners, and still have TW fire-power.
More Transfer Spec:
Premier League new-boys Southampton want to sign Blackburn defender Scott Dann, 25.
Tottenham are lining up a bid for Roma striker Marco Borriello, 30, after being told they have no chance of signing Atletico Madrid's Adrian Lopez
Manchester City have set their sights on Daniele De Rossi, 28, again after they failed to bring the Italian to the club last summer.
Arsenal striker Robin van Persie wants £10m-a-year deal at his new club - Manchester United, City and Juventus are all chasing the Dutchman. :smh:
United are reportedly ready to make a bid for Fulham's Moussa Dembele, 25, as their busy transfer summer looks set to continue :smokin
Manchester United have agreed a staggering £26m deal to sign Brazilian teenager Lucas Moura, 19, from Sao Paulo. :smokin :smokin :smokin

GO, really don't want it to happen but i feel like he doesn't want to be here anymore. Took him long enough to sign his new contract, he may be the best paid player in Serie A but he sure isn't the happiest. If he can do one last favor for the club at least bring us the cash to buy something good in the future. To bad there are no Roman (Born in Rome) players who will fill the shoes of either Totti or De Rossi in the near future.

@beINSport1USA

OFFICIAL Twitter of America's new soccer home. News & opinion on: La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Copa América, & the CONMEBOL South American Qualifiers

i also read that they are looking to buy goltv and beinsports now have Ray Hudson as one of the commentators.

@beINSport1USA

OFFICIAL Twitter of America's new soccer home. News & opinion on: La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1, Copa América, & the CONMEBOL South American Qualifiers

i also read that they are looking to buy goltv and beinsports now have Ray Hudson as one of the commentators.

I hope they buy Goltv.

Er you certainly did make him out to be exciting with talk of hat-tricks and bicycles, as if he pulls off such feats regularly. Obviously it's subjective, and as a United fan you're biased, but I don't find him all that exciting.
As for Cantona and Ronaldo those two had individual brilliance that had nothing to do with the team - the kind of brilliance people show up in droves to see. Everyone knows of Ronaldo's accomplishments, but Cantona at his best was league player of the year as United won the double. For me, Rooney just doesn't have that same magic. If he did, I somehow doubt Sir Alex would be bidding some 30 million on an under 20 attacker with flair they don't really need. Again, I think he's a great player, and this is all subjective and relative.

I'm pretty sure Rooney scored more hat-tricks in the EPL last season than either Cantona or Ronaldo did in their entire EPL careers.

Not to mention he also scored the most iconic goal in recent memory on a bike two years ago.

I'm not the least bit interested in comparing Rooney to Ronaldo or Cantona but calling Rooney bland of late is waaaaaay off base. He still more than regularly has his share of exciting moments.

@beINSport1USA

Yes I hope beIn buys GOLTV too but more than that I hope beIn gets picked up by a cable provider (preferably MY provider), idk if it's known but as of right now, there will be no way to watch Serie A on TV this season.

Last edited:
I'm far from a United supporter (a hater in fact), and I think it is incredibly off base to say that Rooney isn't an exciting player. Even beyond his goal scoring, the way that he influences games, when given the freedom, from deeper positions, is quite amazing. He makes intelligent runs and a lot of the tap ins that you see from Welbeck and Hernandez are courtesy of Wayne Rooney drawing multiple defenders whether on the ball or off of it.

Does he compare to Cantona or Ronaldo? Of course not. Those are two of the flashiest and effecitve players in history, but that in no way diminishes what Wayne Rooney has done on the pitch. Also, the term "exciting" is so incredibly objective that is really isn't worth arguing over. I mean, to me, exciting is a 40 yard ball on the laces to a player making a run who crosses to a CF who scores a tidy counter attacking goal. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1v1 skinning of a defender that leads to a 30 yard screamer.

I'm pretty sure Rooney scored more hat-tricks in the EPL last season than either Cantona or Ronaldo did in their entire EPL careers.
Not to mention he also scored the most iconic goal in recent memory on a bike two years ago.
I'm not the least bit interested in comparing Rooney to Ronaldo or Cantona but calling Rooney bland of late is waaaaaay off base. He still more than regularly has his share of exciting moments.
Yes I hope beIn buys GOLTV too but more than that I hope beIn gets picked up by a cable provider (preferably MY provider), idk if it's known but as of right now, there will be no way to watch Serie A on TV this season.[/quote]

Explain, I have Comcast if that matters

New York Red Bulls are closing in on a £1m deal for @Tim_Cahill with Everton accepting a bid for the Australian forward. #bbcfootball #efc

Explain, I have Comcast if that matters

FSC lost the Serie A rights for the 2012/13 season and beIN Sport picked them up.

As of today beIN isn't carried by any American satellite or cable providers.

They were in negotiations with Comcast and Direct TV earlier this summer but it was never expected that they'd get picked up before the start of the season but now it looks like it could be well into the season before anything gets done.

To make things worse, the beIN Sport twitter account has been disabled and they don't even have a website in english so we're completely in the dark.

Last edited:
I'm far from a United supporter (a hater in fact), and I think it is incredibly off base to say that Rooney isn't an exciting player. Even beyond his goal scoring, the way that he influences games, when given the freedom, from deeper positions, is quite amazing. He makes intelligent runs and a lot of the tap ins that you see from Welbeck and Hernandez are courtesy of Wayne Rooney drawing multiple defenders whether on the ball or off of it.
Does he compare to Cantona or Ronaldo? Of course not. Those are two of the flashiest and effecitve players in history, but that in no way diminishes what Wayne Rooney has done on the pitch. Also, the term "exciting" is so incredibly objective that is really isn't worth arguing over. I mean, to me, exciting is a 40 yard ball on the laces to a player making a run who crosses to a CF who scores a tidy counter attacking goal. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 1v1 skinning of a defender that leads to a 30 yard screamer.

To me, there's no question that he has reined his game in from his earlier years. Is he a better player for it? Certainly, and I definitely appreciate/admire the many ways he influences a match, especially when he plays in the hole, but he doesn't go on as many power dribbling runs and explosive finishes as he used to - which at the end of the day is what the average fan comes to see. Hence Sir Alex trying to bring a "crack" to Old Trafford, and why I said his game has gone "bland" - which was probably hyperbolic, but was meant to taken as relative to other (United) talisman.

Admittedly, regular United watchers may find him more exciting having seen more of him, but based on what I saw of him last season (City matches, in the CL, in the odd games I did watch) I wouldn't have him high on my list of "exciting" players today. Just my opinion, of course. And yeah, probably not worth arguing over.

If City get DDR... :x

Last edited:
Yes I hope beIn buys GOLTV too but more than that I hope beIn gets picked up by a cable provider (preferably MY provider), idk if it's known but as of right now, there will be no way to watch Serie A on TV this season.

For the record. Rooney only had 2 hat-ricks in the EPL last season.

EDIT: I had to go back and check these stats. Strangely enough, Ham City, you're right. Ronaldo only ever had 1 hat-trick at United. Cantona only had 1 in his career in EPL as well. Well, I'll be damned.

To me, there's no question that he has reined his game in from his earlier years. Is he a better player for it? Certainly, and I definitely appreciate/admire the many ways he influences a match, especially when he plays in the hole, but he doesn't go on as many power dribbling runs and explosive finishes as he used to - which at the end of the day is what the average fan comes to see. Hence Sir Alex trying to bring a "crack" to Old Trafford, and why I said his game has gone "bland" - which was probably hyperbolic, but was meant to taken as relative to other (United) talisman.
Admittedly, regular United watchers may find him more exciting having seen more of him, but based on what I saw of him last season (City matches, in the CL, in the odd games I did watch) I wouldn't have him high on my list of "exciting" players today. Just my opinion, of course. And yeah, probably not worth arguing over.
If City get DDR... :x

And that right there is the issue. You didn't consistently watch Rooney to see what he did for United. Honestly speaking, there isn't a football analyst in the world who wasn't impressed with what Rooney does. He may not be a "Ronaldo" but his discipline, and the way he affects the game/team is superb. Rooney is a very exciting player if you watch how the match actually works.

Nice for Arsenal if they get Santi. He's a very talented player.

Transfer Spec:

Zenit St Petersburg have joined the race to sign Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel, 27, with Manchester City and Napoli also interested.

Liverpool are set to bid £10m for Swansea forward Joe Allen, 22.

Tottenham have joined Newcastle and Swansea in the race for former Liverpool and out-of-favour Hoffenheim winger Ryan Babel, 25.

Bayern Munich are set to make a move for Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong, 27, after the German side's interest in Spain international Javi Martinez cooled.

Departing United striker Dimitar Berbatov, 31, could be on his way to Russia after Zenit St Petersburg declared their interest.

Manchester United are chasing River Plate's Argentine midfielder Ezequiel Cirigliano, 20, who Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain both want to take on trial.

Spain winger Santi Cazorla, 27, has told Arsenal he is ready to join them from Malaga.

Serie A giants AC Milan have opened talks with Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner over a deal to bring the Dane to Italy.

Juventus are edging ahead in the race for Van Persie as they prepare a £20m bid to tempt him away from the Emirates Stadium.

Last edited:
And that right there is the issue. You didn't consistently watch Rooney to see what he did for United. Honestly speaking, there isn't a football analyst in the world who wasn't impressed with what Rooney does. He may not be a "Ronaldo" but his discipline, and the way he affects the game/team is superb. Rooney is a very exciting player if you watch how the match actually works.

LOL. I have an excellent understanding of how a match actually works. I don't watch every fixture because there are plenty of teams I'd rather watch, but I've seen more than enough of him at United and England to have an opinion. Again, he's a top player, and has plenty to his impressive game, but relative to other United talisman he's not particularly exciting, and if I was making a list of most exciting players today he wouldn't be high on it.

Malaga :smh:
Such a disappointing situation. Cazorla would a top signing, so underrated. He's adept in the left attacking midfield position, and a mid three of Wilshere, Song, and Cazorla could potentially be the best in England if Jack returns fully, and Song adapts into more of a holding DM than a box to box. (and if City don't upgrade Barry with DDR)

Last edited:
LOL. I have an excellent understanding of how a match actually works. I don't watch every fixture because there are plenty of teams I'd rather watch, but I've seen more than enough of him at United and England to have an opinion. Again, he's a top player, and has plenty to his impressive game, but relative to other United talisman he's not particularly exciting, and if I was making a list of most exciting players today he wouldn't be high on it.
Malaga :smh:
Such a disappointing situation. Cazorla would a top signing, so underrated. He's adept in the left attacking midfield position, and a mid three of Wilshere, Song, and Cazorla could potentially be the best in England if Jack returns fully, and Song adapts into more of a holding DM than a box to box. (and if City don't upgrade Barry with DDR)

I hope Ryo Myiachi is given a fair chance this season, such a talent 8)

Ryo will be loaned again unfortunately....well most likely. I believe they are still in talks with Norwich
Cazrola would be a great signing

Last edited:
I'm back home for the next couple days for this MLS All Stars match against Chelsea, and I'd my contact comes through, I should have some cool pics later tonight.

The Yankee Stadium match was cool but the sight lines weren't the best, so I'm really excited to see the boys tomorrow night at PPL.

Koscielny signed a new new long term contact
pimp.gif

No bias but he was the 2nd best defender in the league last year after Kompany.

Koscielny signed a new new long term contact :pimp:

No bias but he was the 2nd best defender in the league last year after Kompany.

According to the Fantasy Premier League stats, he was 29th lol. (these stats include, minutes played, goals scored, goals conceded, clean sheets, yellow cards, red cards, penalties made, assists etc)

Top 5 defenders were:

Evra
Kompany
Walker
Terry
Assou-Kotto

Last edited:
Going to Scandinavia in a few weeks and am interested in going to an AIK game in Sweden and FC Copenhagen or Brondby game in Denmark. Has anyone been to a game in Sweden or Denmark and do you have any recommendations? Most sources online say that picking up match tickets on game day will be no problem.

I need a CAM to sub in/rotate with Nasri for my team in FIFA 11..I have Nasri/Aimar as a starter at CAM then Fletcher and Carrick rotating at CM

Anybody you guys could recommend :nerd:

According to the Fantasy Premier League stats, he was 29th lol. (these stats include, minutes played, goals scored, goals conceded, clean sheets, yellow cards, red cards, penalties made, assists etc)
Top 5 defenders were:
Evra
Kompany
Walker
Terry
Assou-Kotto
Come on man. We're judging players based on fantasy stats now? Kompany, Koscielny and Coloccini are my top three from last season. Evra?
sick.gif
Dude was horrible last season and got dropped by France after one game in the Euro's.
I need a CAM to sub in/rotate with Nasri for my team in FIFA 11..I have Nasri/Aimar as a starter at CAM then Fletcher and Carrick rotating at CM
Anybody you guys could recommend
nerd.gif
 How much you looking to spend? I'd recommend Adel Tarrabat from QPR. Great dribbling, good with both feet, and can play in multiple positions. Christian Eriksen from Ajax might be a cheap, young talent too since it's FIFA 11.

Back
Top Bottom