The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

Well done. 1 more win guys....just get it done.

(Hope Arteta is ok for Sunday)

Last edited:
Didn't City lead the EPL in clean sheets this season, though? I can't see how failure to keep clean sheets is the issue.

With what we saw from them last year,
Most of their players under-performed this season. I don't think there are any players who you can say had a better season this year than last, possibly barring Dzeko, but we see how much Roberto rates him.

I think a lot of their failure this season lies in their transfer failures, and the fact that the players they got instead were lacking. Whose brilliant idea was it to sign Scott Sinclair anyway?

I believe that was last year. Either way, their defending and goalkeeping was astronomically better in the previous campaign. That's not arguable.

Nasri deserves flack for underachieving. Whereas Milner was one of City's lone bright spots in terms of consistent effort and hustle on the pitch.

The Kompany/Nastasic partnership proved not to be as rock solid as Mancini hoped.

hugebird: How do you rank Mancini among club managers?

I still don't see why in Soccer Managers get so much blame.

If a manager is in complete control and decides who comes in and out, the expectations are going to be high. That's how it's going to be with big clubs, it'll always be that way. The thing about Man City is even more extreme tho because they were buying everyone they could, with no regard. They were building FIFA teams in real life lol.

I'm assuming it was Mancini who was bringing on the players? So I guess he got sacked for it. Still tho, the whole City culture needs to change. They need more stability and honor, then they'll be fine.

It's easier to sack one manager than to ship out players and rebuild.

Mancini deserves considerable blame but as I keep reiterating, he's an easy target because of the club's spending.

A savvy criticism would be to target two years of blatant CL failure than City's financial exploits.

A man attempting to dribble a ball from Seattle to Sao Paulo, Brazil in time for the 2014 World Cup was hit by a car and killed in Lincoln City, Oregon just 14 days into his journey. Richard Swanson, a 42-year-old Seattle Sounders fan, began his trip on May 1 and planned visit 11 countries during his year-long adventure. He maintained a website dedicated to the experience at breakawaybrazil.com. Sadly, he didn't make it very far.
From The News Guard:
According to police, Swanson was walking south along the south bound shoulder of Highway 101 near the south city limits of Lincoln City. Swanson was struck from behind by a 1995 Nissan pickup operated by Scott Van Hiatt, 52, of Neskowin. Mr. Hiatt remained at the scene and has been cooperating with the investigation.
Medics from Pacific West Ambulance transported Swanson to Samaritan North Lincoln Hospital, where Swanson was declared deceased.

^ Damn that really sucks.

There can be only one! Chelsea and Arsenal may have to play-off to decide third place!

Arsene Wenger and Rafa Benitez could face the nightmare of a play-off over third place in the Premier League.

Wenger's Arsenal, who beat Wigan 4-1 on Tuesday, and Benitez-managed Chelsea are ­agonisingly close to finishing with the same points (73), same goal difference (+35), and even the same number of goals scored (73) and conceded (38) after this weekend's final round of matches.

If the Gunners win 2-1 at Newcastle on Sunday and the Stamford Bridge club draw 0-0 at home Everton, the clubs will be tied with identical figures.

The Premier League confirmed on Tuesday night that Chelsea's home-and-away wins over their London rivals would not be used as a tie-breaker.

Instead, there would have to be a one-off game at a neutral venue, presumably Wembley, to settle third place - with ­automatic entry to the Champions League's group phase at stake.

The losers would finish fourth and have to negotiate a two-leg play-off in August to reach the Champions League proper,

The situation is complicated by the fact that Chelsea head straight off to the United States after Sunday's matches to play Manchester City in two friendlies on May 23 and 25.

After that, England play two friendlies, against the Republic of Ireland at Wembley on May 29 and Brazil in Rio on June 2.

The victory over Wigan makes it nine games without defeat for Arsenal, and goalscorer Aaron Ramsey said: “It’s a perfect way to finish the season here.

“We did what we had to do. Now we have one game left to get the job done and get that Champions League place.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/arsenal-chelsea-play-off-decide-third-1889904

I dont want it coming to this, rather take the 4-0 win Pardew was offering :lol: but if it does I'm not going to lie it'd be pretty cool (only because we'd finish in the top 4). Just getting into the CL would really be like winning a trophy if the playoff was at Wembley :tongue:, but seriously since it says "neutral venue", how amazing would it be if the FA selected it to be held at White Heart Lane instead? :lol:

Last edited:
If Wenger had the money to buy who he wanted like Mancini did, we would have won at least 5 trophies in the past few years.

Clearly someone at Arsenal is lying. Manager or owners.

Cause I've always heard the owners saying he has more than enough money to buy player (i'm not saying City money) but entertaining 30m+ bids should be possible. But Wenger consistently says players are too expensive.

Even if Wenger had PSG/City's budget...I don't think he would spend...it's not part of his philosophy...

He's very much like Klopp in this regard, finding lesser known young talent and turning them into beasts.

It's a respectable mentality, but one needs to win with that mentality (ala Klopp).

I believe that was the second largest owner Usmanov and our CEO who have stated that funds are there. Silent Stan doesn't say much or do much, not even encouraging the club to spend a little more. Him, the board, not evening trying to hold onto our big players. Apparently in the past when it has been said that we have money, has been "false". As stubborn as Wenger may be, I think a big issue is that he tends to sign players that can't replicate their form when they come to Arsenal such as Squillaci, Arshavin, Gervinho, Chamakh and etc. And they are very difficult to get rid of thus making our wage bill and benches filled with dead weight. I've also read from respective bloggers, that the board has rejected his attempts to buy certain players. And when we have gotten into bidding wars against the likes of Chelsea and City, that certainly isn't our strong area.
The owner/board are very comfortable (and Wenger to some degree). They are more concerned with the business aspect. Even with being lackluster the club is able to turn profit. I understand our self-sustaining philosophy, I respect it. But the lack of ambition, I don't understand. We paid off a good amount of our debt. With these large deals coming in, "we'll actually have money". So we will see this summer.

Last edited:
That would be sick. I would love for that to happen. Mainly because the consolation is still Champions League football. Yeah the Playoff round would suck but this would be an awesome spectacle I think. The key is when would this be played if it were to happen? Chelsea has 2 games in the States next week

Ronaldihno... the greatest

Speaking of Ronaldinho... i was trying to do an elastico on the cement the other day. I did a bad touch and tried to do a running one and busted my *** :smh: :smh: ..Hurt my foot somehow and cant move my toe :smh:

:lol:

I dont understand how he did that ****, while running like 30 MPH too :lol:

Last edited:
Neymar would never go to play in Germany. Y'all know how homesick Brazilians get. A player like Neymar with that much leverage would much rather play in Spain where it's at least somewhat more comforting to him. No way he goes to Bayern.
Bayern already denied contact with Neymar.

Sammer said they have no interest in signing Neymar.

C'mon, we all know Neymar will play from 2014 for Barca or Real Madrid.

Well, it's about that time when we start looking at the wild jungle that is the transfer window...

Take them with a lot of salt...

Some especially anything tagged with #ITK by that agent twitter account will be down right outrageous... some will be realistic....some will actually happen...

-Newcastle striker Papiss Cisse is a target for German giants Borussia Dortmund. (that idea sits with me quite well)

-Big-spending Monaco have put Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez on their transfer hit-list.

-Arsenal have been quoted a price of £22million for Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain. (this could be interesting)

-Fulham have agreed a deal to sign Ghana international midfielder Derek Boateng, 29, from Ukrainian club Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk.

-Liverpool want Spain Under-21 international striker Cristian Tello, 21, from Barcelona as part of any exchange deal involving keeper Pepe Reina, 30.

-Manchester City are plotting a £12m move for Bayern Munich winger Arjen Robben (I know he's 29, and pretty one-dimensional...but surely he'll go for higher than this)

-Manuel Pellegrini, 59, is expected to take over and his first signing as Manchester City boss could be 27-year-old Sevilla winger Jesus Navas

can't believe Scolari left him off the squad for Confed Cup. |I

Can't believe he left you out the squad. You're the best! My fav player ever, and you lost some weight!

Is it confirmed that Rooney can/will leave? I can't see that hothead play anywhere outside his comfort zone (England)

I'm not sure how I feel about Tello possibly leaving. At 21 or so he should be coming into his own as a forward. He's spent a lot of time at La Masia off & on since 2002. I'd hate to see him flourish somewhere else.

Also don't know how I feel about Pepe coming back to Camp Nou. If he was playing well I'd have no qualms about him coming in at age 30. He could be a good stop gap while we look for a long time successor to man the net but Pepe has looked off at times. Sometime really bad.

I wonder if he just needs a fresh new start & coming home could do that... We'll see.

How the eff do you win the FA cup & then get relegated? Man City should be ashamed of themselves for not winning that cup against an inferior team. Wigan's play throughout the season has been atrocious. :smh:

City's two largest problems:
Failure to keep clean sheets (Hart).

Kompany did not perform up to the championship standard of last campaign. Formed a better partnership in central defense with Lescott year previous than Nastasic now. I understand building for the future, but Nastasic is no prodigy like Varane.

Secondly, lack of goals. Without superior defending, Kun, Dzeko, Carlitos, and Mario (half campaign) had to be firing on all cylinders.

Javi Garcia and Scott Sinclair did not present the impact Mancini quite expected after the transfer window closed.

They've defended well enough in the league this season: first in clean sheets, least goals conceded, and second-least shots conceded. Nastasic is surely one of the best young defenders in Europe.

City's problems do lie in their inept attack. They are poor creating in possession, and don't break particularly well either. Mancini has to take blame - the side is severely lacking in any sort of identity. Tough way to get the axe with the media leak and all, but it's hard to feel sorry for a guy soon to be strolling around Monaco with a fat severance check in the bank.

I'm not sure how I feel about Tello possibly leaving. At 21 or so he should be coming into his own as a forward. He's spent a lot of time at La Masia off & on since 2002. I'd hate to see him flourish somewhere else.
Also don't know how I feel about Pepe coming back to Camp Nou. If he was playing well I'd have no qualms about him coming in at age 30. He could be a good stop gap while we look for a long time successor to man the net but Pepe has looked off at times. Sometime really bad.
:smh:

He isn't going anywhere unless he actually wants to leave - in which case he could theoretically be bought out. Liverpool are obviously dreaming of a swap for Pepe, but that would be idiocy on Barca's part. That said, if they're cashing in on Valdes, then Pepe wouldn't be the worst temp solution, but I'd prefer Guaita, Handanovic, or Ter Stegen. I agree though, he isn't as reliable as he was.

Oh I don't think Barca would trade Tello for Pepe. That would be lunacy but there have been rumors of Tello being targeted by several teams. Separately, Pepe has been rumored to be coming back to Camp Nou also. It seems Barca is targeting Ter Stegen. I would be ecstatic if we got him & Dortmund's Hummels.

Goal.com's Transfer Talk Episode #5

Last edited:
Cech, Azpilicueta, Ivanovic, Cahill, Cole, David Luiz, Ramires, Lampard, Oscar, Mata, Torres

Artur, Luisao, Garay, Almeida, Gaitan, Matic, Perez, Cardozo, Salvio, Rodrigo, Melgarejo

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/15/football-rumours-aguero-manchester-city

Seems a swap is what Liverpool wants, but yeah - not happening. Hummels is great, but he may not be ideal. He and Pique would make the pairing a bit short on pace, and they're both right footed. I believe a more shrewd signing would be someone like Inigo Martinez.

" "There is no contact and he's not on the agenda," said Bayern's sporting director Matthias Sammer. "No, no. Absolutely not. I don't know what Rooney would bring to the Bundesliga. I can't answer that. I can answer that we have great respect for Wayne Rooney, but there has been no contact with him.""

Damn

I only see Rooney at Madrid or PSG, if not remaining at United. City or Chelsea mere pipe dreams.

I've heard Pep is doing his best to pry Suarez from Anfield. Seems more reasonable than Neymar.

Back
Top Bottom