The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

You're right, the writer is incorrect about Thialgo's ability to deliver a long ball but I think he hit on a good point about Thialgo being a creative and deep–lying pivot midfielder at Camp Nou. If he asked to play a role outside of that, I think he might have trouble adjusting. Kinda the way Cesc has had trouble coming back to Camp Nou from Arsenal. I kind of tuned everything else out of the article & didn't clarify myself as to what I agreed with.

I just hope they sort out the midfield situation (among other things). I find it puzzling that they had the league titled wrapped up a short while ago & they still had Xavi playing (& Iniesta) a lot of minutes for games in the following weeks. I would've rested the either/both of them & put in Thailgo. I thought that's what they might've started a while ago when both Thialgo & Tello scored goals. I can't remember who they played that week.

BTW - who in the heck is that in your avy?!?! The face looks so familiar but in my old age my memory is starting to go & I can't for the life of me recall who that is...

Well I'm not sure what other role they'd want him to play. He still has to develop, but he will be able to play in a mid 3, partnered with a holder in a mid 2, and even as a playmaker in a 4-2-3-1. I doubt anyone would ask him to do anything else.
Agreed about the midfield situation. The playing time hasn't been optimally spread out, especially in the meaningless games. I think they should re-explore the 3-4-3 next season. Noam Chomsky is the guy in my avy.

Ronaldo > Messi.

Reality says otherwise.

Last edited:
Never mind that Messi broke Gerd Muller's goal record that stood for 40 years (think of all the great players that have played in that span) but he beat it handily.

Not to mention his team accomplishments like the 6 La Liga titles, 2 Copa del Reys, 5 Supercopa de Espanas, 3 CL titles (2 UEFA Super Cups, 2 FIFA Club World Cups), & an Olympic Gold Medal.

But he also has 4, count them 4.

The futbol gods have clearly spoken...

I don't hate Ronaldo though, I love watching him play & I don't have any criticisms about his game at all..

Last edited:
Inter sack Stramaccioni after a miserable season. Managing carousel should be even more entertaining than usual this summer...

Last edited:
Noooo!  
laugh.gif

So. I just received a package from Manchester United press office. ‘Robin wanted you to have to this.’

— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) May 24, 2013

The package contained a double sided framed photograph. Of Van Pursestrings kissing the Premier League trophy.

‘Piersy my man, thanks for all the support! You made this day even more special! All the best, Van Pursestrings.’

BLCblp2CUAAlDq0.jpg:large

Side 2: ‘Great to be a champ.. so many #Tears4Piersy ‘

BLCcTQHCMAEqU49.jpg:large

I will of course afford Van Pursestrings’ gift the respect it deserves. And use it as my loo doorstop in Beverly Hills… @persie_official

So santos turned down another offer from Barca for Neymar and Madrid is looking to pounce.

I have a strong feeling he ends up at Madrid...

This monoco team...another chelsea?

70m for 2 Porto players just seems way to cheap but if its confirmed then its done

Eh...Idk...I think Porto got back full value. If you value Moutinho and James at 35m apiece, it works out. Moutinho was thought to be going to Spurs for 30-35m and James isn't worth 35 imo but he's so young and talented that it could be a bargain in the future. Either way, Porto cashed out again.

Porto confirm the big money sales to Monaco. 45M for James, 25M for Moutinho.

http://www.fcporto.pt/Noticias/Futebol/noticiafutebol_fcpjamesmoutinhomonaco_240513_75592.asp
ok I know I asked this question pages back but it was answered with Neymar as the example

so does the 45M and 25M go  directly to Porto or do the 2 players get a cut? Guess I'm asking do player sales include the contract the player will receive from the club they go to or is it separate

laugh.gif
  I know I worded it kinda weird

Last edited:
So santos turned down another offer from Barca for Neymar and Madrid is looking to pounce.

I find it somewhat laughable that all these players are supposedly interested in playing for a side that just got promoted to Ligue 1. I like watching those games but it's not the better of the Euro leagues is it? :rolleyes That's if you can believe the press saying players are indeed interested. Can you really win hardware worth winning at Monoco? :rolleyes

With regards to Neymar, it looks like Barca & Neymar already have a deal in place where they've already given him about €10 or €11 mil. It's just a matter or Santos agreeing the the terms the folks at Camp Nou have set or watch him leave without any compensation. It sounds like that's the only place he wants to go. But again, I guess we have to take it with a grain of salt...

Imteresting 45m for Rodriguez? I thought it was 35m even for both players...I havent watched him much but is he worth that 45? Moutinho for 25m is a bargain

Like someone pointed out last page or so, that stadium fits like 18k :x AND the entire population of Monoco is only 30k? Manchester united double there population on game days lol

Last edited:

I find it somewhat laughable that all these players are supposedly interested in playing for a side that just got promoted to Ligue 1. I like watching those games but it's not the better of the Euro leagues is it? :rolleyes That's if you can believe the press saying players are indeed interested. Can you really win hardware worth winning at Monoco? :rolleyes

I think players could careless honestly about the fact Monoco recently promoted. Living in paradise, low taxes (if ANY, I'm not sure), insane weekly wages, easy CL qualifications in Ligue 1 if you predict they can get superstar caliber players a la Chelsea, etc.

Idk, if players start leaving PSG because of the CRAZY taxes hit they have to take, and Monoco somehow escapes the fate other french teams have to endure with the tax problem, they will contend for trophies every season.

I think players could careless honestly about the fact Monoco recently promoted. Living in paradise, low taxes (if ANY, I'm not sure), insane weekly wages, easy CL qualifications in Ligue 1 if you predict they can get superstar caliber players a la Chelsea, etc.

Idk, if players start leaving PSG because of the CRAZY taxes hit they have to take, and Monoco somehow escapes the fate other french teams have to endure with the tax problem, they will contend for trophies every season.

I have a feeling they will rule that to play in Ligue 1 and CL they'll have to conform to Frances taxation policy, for players, club and staff. Otherwise why it just give Monaco the trophy right now.

I have a feeling they will rule that to play in Ligue 1 and CL they'll have to conform to Frances taxation policy, for players, club and staff. Otherwise why it just give Monaco the trophy right now.

Good point. Seriously wouldn't be a fair. I mean, the location is seriously heaven on earth. If you ask any player to play here with NO taxes while competing for CL trophies and Ligue 1 trophies every season while teams like Lyon, Lille, etc have to play in the same league as Monoco but can't compete year and out for the league, that wouldn't be fair. Monoco is gonna try everything to not have that happen, but is is

With regards to Neymar, it looks like Barca & Neymar already have a deal in place where they've already given him about €10 or €11 mil. It's just a matter or Santos agreeing the the terms the folks at Camp Nou have set or watch him leave without any compensation. It sounds like that's the only place he wants to go. But again, I guess we have to take it with a grain of salt...

They do have some history:
Domestic
Ligue 1
Champions (7): 1961, 1963, 1978, 1982, 1988, 1997, 2000
Ligue 2
Champions (1): 2012–13
Championnat de France amateur
Champions (3): 1962, 1972, 2008
Coupe de France
Champions (5): 1960, 1963, 1980, 1985, 1991
Runners-Up (5): 1974, 1984, 1989, 1992, 2010
Coupe de la Ligue
Champions (1): 2003
Runners-Up (1): 2001
Trophée des champions
Champions (4): 1961, 1985, 1997, 2000
Runners-Up (1): 1960
Coupe Charles Drago
Champions (1): 1961
Coupe Gambardella
Champions (3): 1962, 1972, 2011
Europe [edit]
UEFA Champions League
Runners-Up (1): 2004
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Runners-Up (1): 1992
Coppa delle Alpi
Champions (3): 1979, 1983, 1984
Now they have the money. But I think being back by so much money will have people overlook the success they have achieved and some of the great players that have at Monaco: Henry, Evra, Klinsmann, Petit, Toure and etc. Of course they have gone through some rough times over the last few years, various managers, mismanaged funds, being regelated to Ligue 2. I'm typically not a fan of clubs being backed by billionaires but I think for Ligue 1, this could be rather positive.

UEFA steps up racism fight with tougher sanctions

AC Milan midfielder Kevin Prince-Boateng walked off the pitch in January after being subjected to racist abuse.
(CNN) -- After a year where football's name has been dragged through the mud by a series of racism controversies, UEFA has announced that players and officials will face a 10-match ban if found guilty of racist abuse.

Following a meeting of UEFA's executive committee in London Thursday, the European governing body confirmed the bans would apply to its own competitions, while other national associations remain free to decide on their own punishments.

The new tougher sanction comes just over a week after the English Football Association drew criticism for its plans to introduce a minimum five-match suspension for racism.

Read: UEFA wants 10-match bans for racist abuse

"An association should adopt the same or similar measures. UEFA has always acted in a way to try to convince people rather than impose," said UEFA general secretary Gianni Infantino at a press conference.

"I don't think you measure the way of fighting against racism in one simple measure and sanction.

"The way I read the FA's decision is that it could be five matches and it could also be 15. The FA is sure their way of regulating is more correct for England.

"It's their decision but it doesn't mean they do more or less than us. Everyone has to do what they can do in this field.

"The FA is autonomous and knows best what is best for England to do in the fight against racism. It is probably one of the countries where the most has been done."

According to details released by UEFA, clubs and national side's whose fans are found guilty of racist abuse will be punished with a partial stadium closure as a first offense, while a second offense will lead to a complete closure.

Read: Balotelli threatens to walk

Only last week, AC Milan striker Mario Balotelli told CNN that he was prepared to walk off the pitch if racially abused once again.

The Italy striker was subjected to "monkey chants" by visiting fans during Milan's goalless draw with Roma at the San Siro.

"I always said that if it (racism) happened in the stadium I will just do like 'nobody says nothing and I don't care,'" Balotelli told CNN.

"But this time I think I've changed my mind a little bit. If it's going to happen one more time, then I'm going to leave the pitch because it's so stupid."

Balotelli is not the first player to have suffered racial abuse while playing for AC Milan -- one of the most revered clubs in Europe having won 18 league titles and seven European Cups.

In January, midfielder Kevin Prince-Boateng walked off the pitch in disgust after being racially abused by a section of supporters during a friendly game at Pro Patria.

Since then, UEFA has stated its intention to introduce stricter punishments for those found guilty of racism after being heavily criticized in the past for being too lenient.

The new rules are intended to curb racism at clubs such as Italian club Lazio, which has been charged four times by UEFA so far this season, with the Italian side paying $300,000 in fines.

Europe's governing body also plans to introduce the implementation of biological passports for players in the future.

Biological profiles are built up by collating an athlete's drug test results over time, therefore making it easier to detect differences which could indicate the use of a banned substance.

A new UEFA anti-doping program will also examine 900 samples given in the past five years to decipher whether steroids have been used.

On Friday, UEFA is expected to announce changes to the Europa League with the winner set to be granted a place in the Champions League from 2015.

Meanwhile, Berlin's Olympic Stadium will host the 2015 Champions League final, while Warsaw will welcome the finalists of the Europa League.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/05/23/sport/football/football-uefa-racism-champions-league/

Domestic
Ligue 1
Ligue 2
Coupe de France
Coupe de la Ligue
Trophée des champions
Coupe Charles Drago
Coupe Gambardella
Europe [edit]
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Coppa delle Alpi
Now they have the money. But I think being back by so much money will have people overlook the success they have achieved and some of the great players that have at Monaco: Henry, Evra, Klinsmann, Petit, Toure and etc. Of course they have gone through some rough times over the last few years, various managers, mismanaged funds, being regelated to Ligue 2. I'm typically not a fan of clubs being backed by billionaires but I think for Ligue 1, this could be rather positive.

Interesting...I was completely oblivious to the fact that they fairly recently played in the CL finals...who was on that squad that is remotely known?

Domestic
Ligue 1
Ligue 2
Coupe de France
Coupe de la Ligue
Trophée des champions
Coupe Charles Drago
Coupe Gambardella
Europe [edit]
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Coppa delle Alpi

I'm aware of Monoco's history, it's just that it's the lesser or the Euro leagues IMO & even with the type of money that Russian oligarch is willing to spend for Monoco, do you think they will realistically be able to contend? PSG has a really nice side built by money but even they couldn't beat our a clearly weakened Barca side. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

Question, why has the CL competition been reduced so many games? I understand back in 04, they eliminated a group stage that made it quicker to get to the quarters, but it seems teams player much less games now than previously.

Domestic
Ligue 1
Ligue 2
Coupe de France
Coupe de la Ligue
Trophée des champions
Coupe Charles Drago
Coupe Gambardella
Europe [edit]
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Coppa delle Alpi

Interesting...I was completely oblivious to the fact that they fairly recently played in the CL finals...who was on that squad that is remotely known?

The FFF has given Monaco up to 2014 to move their offices to France so they can be under tax laws. Here's a recent article that sheds some light on the situation http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/05/23/as-monacos-taxing-promotion-to-ligue-1/

Evra, Squillaci, Adebayor, Morientes was on loan from RM, Guily...that's all that comes to mind right now.

Domestic
Ligue 1
Ligue 2
Coupe de France
Coupe de la Ligue
Trophée des champions
Coupe Charles Drago
Coupe Gambardella
Europe [edit]
UEFA Champions League
UEFA Cup Winners' Cup
Coppa delle Alpi

I'm aware of Monoco's history, it's just that it's the lesser or the Euro leagues IMO & even with the type of money that Russian oligarch is willing to spend for Monoco, do you think they will realistically be able to contend? PSG has a really nice side built by money but even they couldn't beat our a clearly weakened Barca side. I guess we'll see how it all shakes out.

I wasn't directing my post at you specifically but you're right, it is one of the lesser leagues in Europe. People were expecting PSG to win those legs and they probably should have won given what they paid for the players they have. I think another good example would be how PSG struggled to win the league as opposed to running away with it. As much as Ibra carried them, a handful of games that ended with them winning 1-0, plenty of shots taken but they couldn't find the back of the net. Struggling to score against teams far inferior to Barca. Contending in the CL right away seems unrealistic, City for example (ironically, so many people and pundits thought they would win the CL). But I wouldn't write them off right away. If they can keep a core of French players, bring in someone like Evra, that should help a lot. But only time will tell, 2-4 years give or take. Hopefully Ranieri is given enough time to build the squad as he wants. They have a handful of young players, hopefully they keep that mix of youth and experience. But overall, like I said, this could be really positive for Ligue 1

Last edited:
^^ Yeah its a catch-22 in that the Ligue could get more recognition by having legitimate super clubs but then it also will drain talent from the other competitive teams...Monaco are probably a year or two away in my opinion...if they end up adding more top players then they'll likely have chemistry/ego problems. The year after this coming season they could be deadly though :smh:. Hopefully the youth movement at Lyon can keep them competitive

Back
Top Bottom