The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2012-2013 Vol. 3 Premier League, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga etc

i can see crossing yourself when you step onto the pitch or before taking a free kick..but during the run-up to a penalty? certainly wasn't doing himself any favors 
laugh.gif
 especially on this stage

Great result for the US....and now it all comes down to USA vs the Black Stars :lol: our arch nemesis in WCs recently :smh: here's to some revenge

I actually like that we got to face two of the top 5 teams in this tourney in the group though, if they go through it'll help that they;ve competed against that level before

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/premier-league-paper-round-rooney-ronaldo-90m-swap-083232838.html

Premier League - Paper Round: Rooney-Ronaldo in £90m swap?
Another fallow day of football news means the papers are content to speculate about a number of reliable favourites on Sunday morning, with Wayne Rooney stage centre once more.

Perhaps the most eye catching back page is that of the Daily Star Sunday, which proclaims ‘£90m Roo Ron Swop’.

Quite aside from the paper’s rather bizarre usage of ‘swop’ rather than ‘swap’, the Star captures the attention with the claim that Manchester United might consider using Wayne Rooney as a makeweight in a deal for Cristiano Ronaldo this summer.

However, their story appears to be based mostly on the fact that the bookies have slashed odds on Rooney moving to Real Madrid – which could be indicative of movement behind the scenes.

As the paper writes: “Bookies William Hill have dramatically slashed the odds on Rooney joining the Spanish giants as a betting frenzy grips Britain. Wazza went from 33-1 to 6-1 overnight to join Real as punters heaped cash on the United star packing his bags for the Bernabeu.

“The hot money is on a switch to Madrid for Rooney, valued at around £30m, with both Real Madrid and Chelsea easily capable of matching his £250,000-a-week wage demands. Real’s new boss Carlo Ancelotti has been a long-time admirer of Rooney and would be happy to sacrifice Ronaldo if it meant he could sign the United star.

“Ronaldo would cost a cool £60m and his return to the club where he made his superstar name would delight the faithful. It would also soften the blow of losing such an icon as Rooney, who has two years left on his current United deal.”

Of course the betting patterns might just mean somebody has had a big punt and other gamblers have followed suit. In any case, it's not the most concrete foundation for a back page lead.

The Sunday Mirror reports that Rooney is actually content to stay at Manchester United and will tell David Moyes as much when he returns from holiday this week.
Rooney has reportedly asked to leave Old Trafford twice but, according to the Mirror, “Rooney’s message will be that he believes Sir Alex Ferguson’s retirement can give him a new lease of life at the club he has now served for nine years. He will make it clear to Moyes that at no time towards the end of last season did he tell ­Ferguson that he wanted a transfer.”

The Sunday People adds that Rooney has even demanded an apology from United for Ferguson's claim that the striker had asked to leave - Rooney reportedly claims to have done no such thing.

Across the city, Manchester City are making fresh plans for a new striker having refused to pay Edinson Cavani’s £53 million clause at Napoli and have targeted his international team-mate Luis Suarez, according to the Sunday Express.

Suarez is keen on a move to Real Madrid but Liverpool would welcome any auction for their star player, who has said this summer he is keen to leave. Quite why City would want to pay £35m for a player who is suspended for the first six games of the new season is not explained by the paper.

Another intra-Premier League deal is on the cards, with the Daily Star Sunday reporting that Tottenham have set their sights on Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, who scored 19 goals in his first season in the English top flight.

The paper reports: “Daily Star Sunday sources revealed White Hart Lane top brass have made enquiries over the Belgium international and are ready to open talks about a £20million deal.

“But that doesn’t include Jermain Defoe going in the opposite direction, although they would willingly part with Emmanuel Adebayor.”

Rivals Arsenal are working on recruits at the other end of the pitch – as well as continuing their pursuit of Wayne Rooney and Gonzalo Higuain – with two defenders linked with a move to the Gunners on Sunday morning.

The Sun on Sunday says Arsene Wenger is going toe-to-toe with Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers to try and sign Schalke’s Greek centre-back Kyriakos Papadopoulos. Meanwhile the Sunday Telegraph reveals Ashley Williams is now prepared to tell Swansea City he wants to join Arsenal this summer.

The Mail on Sunday says Chelsea are poised to secure the signing of Netherlands Under-21 international Marco van Ginkel ahead of Manchester United, as he has been given assurances by Jose Mourinho that he will feature in the starting XI next season.

And finally, Scotland on Sunday claims that Southampton have agreed to pay a massive £12.5 million fee for Celtic star Vincent Wanyama - a record for the SPL giants.

Cuevas HAS to start from now on, he was the best player in qualifying, 1-1 USA still alive here :smokin

Is this the Cuevas from Santos in Mexico? Interesting player to say the least, even had a loan or something like that at Celtic about a year ago...

Great result for the US....and now it all comes down to USA vs the Black Stars :lol: our arch nemesis in WCs recently :smh: here's to some revenge

I actually like that we got to face two of the top 5 teams in this tourney in the group though, if they go through it'll help that they;ve competed against that level before

Just finishing watching the game from my DVR.. That draw was more a result on a French side that played very lackadaisically. The US didn't do anything special to me... If I were that French manager, those guys would owe 1000 push ups or 1000 sit ups...

Solid match so far, Sanogo is a player....honestly these youth results don't mean jacksh__ so I just like to see the US play free flowing attacking soccer like Klinnsman wanted to implement for our whole program.

I actually think we'll match up better with Les Bleus because their forwards are more power...not to say their movement is weak or they aren't fast but Pogba and Sanogo are just bigger/stronger players. I actually was encouraged aside from the backline in the Spain game, that team will likely win this tourney and if we had Packwood, Pelosi two EPL youth players in this team the result wouldn't have been as bad, the Spain coach even admitted they gave them problems going forward.

We had a freshman backup from UCLA trying to defend Barcelona and Real youth players for god sake :lol:. Torre looks better today though, this will surely help him grow. Getting 2-4 U-20 players integrated into the full NT will be a success, and I definitely believe Gil and Yedlin have that ability, MLS products too :smokin

Is there a rule about a certain amount of college players that must be on the team? Or we didn't have any other options? I know on twitter some people we complain about the amount of college players on our youth NT as opposed to players at clubs. A lot were pretty disappointed Bijev didn't get called up along with some other players that are in Europe. I know Pelosi was injured but what about Packwood?

I really do enjoy this attacking style. I find that a lot of people, US soccer fans are who are concerned with the state of our soccer are unaware of the changes that are going on at the youth level. A score can only tell so much, there were some positives to that Spain game. For those who watched the game, know we missed some good chances. But the fact that we were able to press, be direct and create some chances against a quality side such as Spain was positive. Looking forward to how these US players develop

:lol: speaking of Gomez, apparently Pep wants to keep him at Bayern

Last edited:
Any football grounds worth seeing in Germany????

Preferably around Berlin?

Cheers in advance for any advice

Any football grounds worth seeing in Germany????

Preferably around Berlin?

Cheers in advance for any advice

There is some nice Stadiums in Germany, The Allianz arena in Munich looks amazing and the Signal Iduna Park in Dortmund would be nice im sure,

In Berlin there is the huge Olympiastadion, That is where Hertha Berlin play (Bit of a falling Giant in Germany)
The Olympiastadion can be easily reached by metro (U-Bahn). Take either line U2 or U12, which both can be boarded at several points in the city centre. Get off at stop Olympia-Stadion. It takes about 25 minutes to reach the stadium from Potsdamer Platz, and about 15 minutes from Zoologische Garten.

OR you can get to the stadium by light rail (S-Bahn). Take either line S5 or S75 to station Olympiastadion. Both lines link the stadium with Berlin’s major railway stations in the centre, as well as with station Spandau in the west.

^cheers bro! I'll try to check those places out for sure!

Pretty sad to be leaving England to be honest. I wish I had another week or two here :\

Are coffee shops only an Amsterdam thing or will they be in Belgium and Germany as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Solid match so far, Sanogo is a player....honestly these youth results don't mean jacksh__ so I just like to see the US play free flowing attacking soccer like Klinnsman wanted to implement for our whole program.

I actually think we'll match up better with Les Bleus because their forwards are more power...not to say their movement is weak or they aren't fast but Pogba and Sanogo are just bigger/stronger players. I actually was encouraged aside from the backline in the Spain game, that team will likely win this tourney and if we had Packwood, Pelosi two EPL youth players in this team the result wouldn't have been as bad, the Spain coach even admitted they gave them problems going forward.

We had a freshman backup from UCLA trying to defend Barcelona and Real youth players for god sake :lol:. Torre looks better today though, this will surely help him grow. Getting 2-4 U-20 players integrated into the full NT will be a success, and I definitely believe Gil and Yedlin have that ability, MLS products too :smokin

Is there a rule about a certain amount of college players that must be on the team? Or we didn't have any other options? I know on twitter some people we complain about the amount of college players on our youth NT as opposed to players at clubs. A lot were pretty disappointed Bijev didn't get called up along with some other players that are in Europe. I know Pelosi was injured but what about Packwood?

I really do enjoy this attacking style. I find that a lot of people, US soccer fans are who are concerned with the state of our soccer are unaware of the changes that are going on at the youth level. A score can only tell so much, there were some positives to that Spain game. For those who watched the game, know we missed some good chances. But the fact that we were able to press, be direct and create some chances against a quality side such as Spain was positive. Looking forward to how these US players develop

:lol: speaking of Gomez, apparently Pep wants to keep him at Bayern

Yeah apparently a lot of people were calling for the Zimmerman kid to be on the final roster bc he's been playing for FC Dallas, actually scored this weekend too, but I guess Ramos liked Torre for whatever reason. I just can't see how a backup freshman playing college soccer is a good option to start...it sucks though bc Pelosi was doing great at Liverpool and Packwood is at Birmingham I wanna say, both of them had bad leg breaks from reckless challenges though, and if we could've had John Anthony Brooks our back line would be a borderline strength...Spain saw Torre and just went there every time :lol: it they had a competent CB that game would've been closer to the reality of how well they played.

It's funny, the US played a lot better vs Spain (aside from a few guys on D) and lost 4-1 than they did vs France and got a draw. All they need to do is beat Ghana though and they'll advance so that'll be a good match

I wanna see how Mexico looks today too, if they can bounce back.

I really do enjoy this attacking style. I find that a lot of people, US soccer fans are who are concerned with the state of our soccer are unaware of the changes that are going on at the youth level. A score can only tell so much, there were some positives to that Spain game. For those who watched the game, know we missed some good chances. But the fact that we were able to press, be direct and create some chances against a quality side such as Spain was positive. Looking forward to how these US players develop.

It's funny how all the things that Klinsmann was criticized about early on seem to be coming to fruition. I mean everything. I thought that he would do well as long as he learned from the mistakes he made at Bayern & German NT.

What's helping the NT break out from the early struggles is they're getting quality play from both sides of their midfield except for Jermaine Jones. That last game against Honduras was an awful showing for Jones whose immensely talented. He turned over the ball too much & just didn't mesh well with Bradley.

Jones just flat out doesn't consistently maintain possession or create chances for goals from game to game.

For all the success the NT's had so far, it's against CONCACAF teams. The true test is playing teams from South Amercia & Europe.

Quality midfield play is also something desperately needed for the younger US teams. We'll live & die by what we can or can't do there...

:smh: @ Serie A... Hope this is much ado about nothing but...

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1484407/finance-police-launch-raids-41-italian-clubs?cc=5901

Police launch raids on Italian clubs

The offices of Lazio and Serie A champions Juventus are among 41 clubs to be the subject of police searches in relation to tax evasion and money laundering in player transfers, according to the Associated Press.

In addition to the 41 Italian clubs, there are said to be another ten foreign clubs under investigation after a court in Naples ordered searches and seizures as part of an investigation into crimes of criminal conspiracy, international tax evasion, money laundering and invoice falsification.

In total 18 of the 20 Serie A clubs were searched by Italian police, along with 11 from Serie B and another 12 from lower divisions but no other club has been named. No statement has been issued by either Juventus or Lazio.

A dozen agents, said to represent Italian and foreign players, have also been implicated.

Last edited:
But didn't Brooks snub us in hope of getting called up by Germany? Which is of course is another issue with a lot of these, the fact that some of these players can play for another country. Especially if there is a chance that they can play for a NT such as Germany. Did Torre start yesterday?

The lack of chemistry in that Honduras game was a scare. I do agree that Jones can be a liability. As for the quality midfield play among the youth, attacking wise it's there, Gil and etc. But defensive midfielders, is there anyone that has stood out for you guys, someone to look out for?

@SkySportsNews Chelsea complete signing of Andreas Schurrle from Bayer Leverkusen on a five-year contract

Blanc signs a two year deal with PSG

@FFArsenal Ancelotti expected to sanction the Gonzalo Higuain move to either Arsenal or Juventus, reportedly in the next 24 hours. (Independent)
- Juventus reps have flown to Manchester to complete the deal for Carlos Tevez (Gazzetta dello Sport)
-The Higuain to Arsenal deal has been agreed in principle but Real Madrid waiting till new manager before completing deal. (@JWTelegraph)
-Marouane Fellaini wants to join Arsenal's £100,000-per-week club as the Gunners contemplate another big-money summer swoop. (Daily Mail)
-Andrey Arshavin is set to return to his former club Zenit Saint Petersburg. (Sky Sports News)

@AFCAcademy Confirmed from Arsenal, training kit is blue and white, will be released the same day as the yellow and blue away kit, 30th July.
-Dinamo Zagreb’s 17 year old Croat CB Tin Jedvaj move to Arsenal is looking lively, for a fee of £7.2m. Tin Jedvaj is one of the greatest prospects from Croatia since young talents like Kovacic, Rakitic and Modric. A move for Schalke’s 21 year old Greek CB Kyriakos Papadopoulos is pretty much dead after the success with Jedvaj

MEXICO Sanchez, Marin, Briseno, Hernandez, Zamorano, Espericueta, Bueno, Corona, Gonzalez, Abella, Van Rankin
PARAGUAY Morel, Mareco, Paredes, Alonso, Gomez, Ramirez, Gonzalez, Dominguez, Piris da Motta, Almiron, Rojas

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom