The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Mine would be Wicked Games. And I love that song so....yeah
laugh.gif

It's just fueled with so much raw desperation and need. Stands out as one of his most emotional songs on HOB.

The Morning got lasers and +!$% popping off in the background. Come on, y'all.
laugh.gif
'Got the walls kicking like they six months pregnant' 'House full of pros that specialize in the heauxin' 'Codiene cups paint a picture so vivid' to the etc
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

The Morning got that bounce to it its the most radio/club friendly track he's made to me

Only song I constantly skip is Loft Music. Not saying its a bad song tho

As far as ranking them though, EOS is either a hair behind HOB or on par. Maybe even better as time goes on and we really let it soak in. A lot of heads in here, it took a couple spins to appreciate HOB Same with Thursday. For the most part, EOS is flames off the bat to pretty much everybody. Gotta count for something.

eek.gif
at all of the different replies on which track they like least on HOB.

Definitely for me, every single damb track on that is a classic except for Glass Table Girls

Every other freaking HOB track is pure
pimp.gif

I never took time to listen to this kid because he was hot with hipster college kids, but if he really is that good I think I`m going to listen to all his tapes, I heard a few songs but I couldn't really get into him, I take it he is a Drake X The Dream fusion?

1. Thursday. It has the most weak songs, but the great songs are his best material (Gone, Birds 2, Lonely Star, Thursday).

2. HOB. It has the most great songs of any of the three albums. One of his best songs (Parrty & Afterparty), and three bangers (Coming Down, The Knowing, High for This).

3. EOS. It's really not a bad thing, this is still a SPECTACULAR album. It's like being Usain Bolt's 3rd fastest 100M time, you're still crushing everyone else. Tracks 2-6 are amazing, Montreal is certified hit material. But Juicy J's cameo is horrendously ill-conceived and ruins the flow of the album, and to some extent of all three albums. The album goes down from there, none of the last three songs are memorable.

Just my .2 cents.

Originally Posted by RHYTHMentality

Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it only took me 2 - 3 plays to get sick of hearing Juicy J on Same Old Song. 
laugh.gif

Any of y'all interested, I edited dude out without sacrificing the length of the track [5:12 - 5:13] or the original quality [320kbps].

Pick it up here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/97789704f29a157a/

much appreciated

I got a "Error 404 - File Not Found" on that actually. Need a re-up.

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Anyone have a quick breakdown of the themes used in each tape?

Maybe theme wasn't the right word. Story perhaps? In House of Balloons Abel and his crew are just some young Toronto nightlife kings. Partying, doing drugs, and most importantly, finding young willing women to draw into this lifestyle and have their way with. House of Balloon seems to be the story of The Weeknd trying this on one girl in particular.

This girl eventually becomes Thursday. The Weeknd usually has a quick turnover rate on the process described through HOB. Get that girl gone in every way imaginable, then smash/pass to his boys to smash, and let the world eat her up afterwards with no sense of guilt whatsoever. However, this girl (Thursday) has been holding on for dear life. At the beginning of the project, The Weeknd seems pleased with this. But Life of The Party makes it seem like it might still all be a game to him, and that he is merely mocking her. He's trying to cut her loose, but at the same, reserving a day for her; he does care a little then. From here, he's warning her that he's uncommitted in relationships, and that, for her sake, she should absolutely avoid falling in love with him. He's been through too much in his life to change himself, and more importantly, he LIKES what he has now ("Well I say, I have heaavveennn... Well, I say, I aammm goodddd...") .

Some time has passed from Thursday and Abel's pretty much detached from the same wild nightlife that he used to relish and describe in grandiose manners. He somehow found himself in a committed relationship and now Thursday is vengeful, lonely, and stripping successfully. She seems to understand that love is off of the table, but she just wants the company of someone who understands her lifestyle and lives a very similar one. On D.D she possibly ruins his relationship with his current girl. He seems to admit that despite the uncaring, unloving facade he put on for her, he was ready to settle down with her at one point. I lost my train of thought, so I'll stop here for now. Damn, the formatting is all messed up. I hate posting on a phone.

thanks man

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

eek.gif

Definitely for me, every single damb track on that is a classic except for Glass Table Girls

pimp.gif

34dsi1x.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Kuter

Originally Posted by RHYTHMentality

Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it only took me 2 - 3 plays to get sick of hearing Juicy J on Same Old Song. 
laugh.gif

Any of y'all interested, I edited dude out without sacrificing the length of the track [5:12 - 5:13] or the original quality [320kbps].

Pick it up here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/97789704f29a157a/

much appreciated

I got a "Error 404 - File Not Found" on that actually. Need a re-up.

This.

And
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
@ Nos

Originally Posted by Noskey

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

eek.gif

pimp.gif

34dsi1x.gif
laugh.gif

Trust me that's how I felt when I was reading others mention Loft Music, The Knowing etc. etc. got me
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

??? The Morning is so
pimp.gif
. I never knew why peeps liked The Knowing so much. That's the one I skipped on HOB

the knowing is the most relateable imo....who cant relate to a girl doing some grimey shiit

I love how there is no consensus on the ranking of the 3 tapes.
Originally Posted by RavageBX

I'm scared to think about where this will go next. The obvious next move is to go major and release a retail album but I'm scared it will kill his raw/organic sound. If he tries to make a song for radio play it may not end well. I need this dude to continue singing about poppin pills and poppin pu$$y on a monday.
I'm interested to see what he does next.

Originally Posted by manslayer

Played The Morning at a house party the other night, and WOW at the response
Straight dubbin in the corner music, how could you go wrong? As for me, my favorite track on there is the title track House of Balloons. Isht be having me like dude in that vid posted for real lol.

Actually not happy with my edit. 
grin.gif
Sounded dope in the whip and on my monitors, but you can tell where the edit was with headphones/earbuds on.

the weakest song of the trilogy is "life of the party" and that's even a solid track.

once you play with the sequencing of these three mixtapes in a playlist, the genius really comes to life.

"what you need"/"thursday"/"outside"
"the morning"/"xo"/"the zone"/"the fall"

pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom