The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by KingJaffeJo

Originally Posted by alex2182

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick
Drake stan sounds like Drake stan
I am far from a Drake stan...there wasn't anything "stannish" about my post....just a comparison of two artist and their fan bases.
I will admit that I like what Drake brings musically, but I enjoy The Weeknd even more so for the breath of fresh air he has brought to my ears...but I can clearly see the parallels of the start of his career and Drakes, that is all. Because just like Weeknd has brought something fresh to music, so did Drake back, back in the day along with a lot of other similarities that they have. I was just thinking at this point in his career is probably the most genuine because he is free to create without labels being placed on him or pressure from his own fans (trust me I hope this doesnt happen) but I can only learn from the past to look into the future...but then again it could just be my "stannish" ways.

Why you comparing them so close tho, you making it seem like Drake is the only dude that made good music before he got signed . The Weeknd is almost nothing like dude, he stays to himself and just makes music. The fact that they know each other and they both Toronto boys is their only similarity. Drake isn't this consistent, once everybody started labeling So Far Gone mixtape of the year fam just soaked it all in.

pimp.gif

Look at this guy
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

0027-Ruben_Take_Care_Toronto-2011-19.jpg

Don't like it. 

how coincidental, I didnt like HOB or Thursday on the first spin either and now they are two of my fav. tapes. 
idk what it is, I feel like I dont appreciate until like 7 plays later.

Originally Posted by Checks McGee

Don't like it. 

how coincidental, I didnt like HOB or Thursday on the first spin either and now they are two of my fav. tapes. 
idk what it is, I feel like I dont appreciate until like 7 plays later.
need to read them lyrics rapgenius.com

soo much better when you can sing along

Good he needs to do that.. Doesn't sound as good thru speakers as it does thru headphones
frown.gif

Originally Posted by RedMan

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

heart-attack.jpg

I hope some of those samples get cleared, I know D.D. is a lost cause

With Drake in his corner and MJ dead i'm sure it won't be too hard to get it cleared.

Unless somehow Drake has a label and signs dude I rly doubt Drake is gonna pull money out his own pocket and dude not gonna depend on him. The OVOXO is cool but I like how he didnt depend on or get a bunch of verses from Drake like how somebody who previously was compared to Abel

Originally Posted by RedMan

Originally Posted by Hendrix Watermelon

heart-attack.jpg

I hope some of those samples get cleared, I know D.D. is a lost cause

With Drake in his corner and MJ dead i'm sure it won't be too hard to get it cleared.
Drake couldnt even get his own samples cleared. 
But Dirty Diana is a cover you dont have to clear covers as long as you dont change the lyrics and pay mechanical royalties

Him and his producer supposedly are about to start doing interviews so maybe a lot of questions people had will be answered soon

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Maybe theme wasn't the right word. Story perhaps? In House of Balloons Abel and his crew are just some young Toronto nightlife kings. Partying, doing drugs, and most importantly, finding young willing women to draw into this lifestyle and have their way with. House of Balloon seems to be the story of The Weeknd trying this on one girl in particular.

This girl eventually becomes Thursday. The Weeknd usually has a quick turnover rate on the process described through HOB. Get that girl gone in every way imaginable, then smash/pass to his boys to smash, and let the world eat her up afterwards with no sense of guilt whatsoever. However, this girl (Thursday) has been holding on for dear life. At the beginning of the project, The Weeknd seems pleased with this. But Life of The Party makes it seem like it might still all be a game to him, and that he is merely mocking her. He's trying to cut her loose, but at the same, reserving a day for her; he does care a little then. From here, he's warning her that he's uncommitted in relationships, and that, for her sake, she should absolutely avoid falling in love with him. He's been through too much in his life to change himself, and more importantly, he LIKES what he has now ("Well I say, I have heaavveennn... Well, I say, I aammm goodddd...") .

Some time has passed from Thursday and Abel's pretty much detached from the same wild nightlife that he used to relish and describe in grandiose manners. He somehow found himself in a committed relationship and now Thursday is vengeful, lonely, and stripping successfully. She seems to understand that love is off of the table, but she just wants the company of someone who understands her lifestyle and lives a very similar one. On D.D she possibly ruins his relationship with his current girl. He seems to admit that despite the uncaring, unloving facade he put on for her, he was ready to settle down with her at one point. I lost my train of thought, so I'll stop here for now. Damn, the formatting is all messed up. I hate posting on a phone.

thanks man

This is some GRE approved critically reading skills 
pimp.gif

Listen to Montreal with some HD headphones on (i'm using my beats headphones). When he's singing in French, it sounds like the vocals are traveling around you in a circle..

Back
Top Bottom