The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
I'm a big fan, and I was severely let down by his Coachella performance.

Makes me sort of glad I didn't get tickets to his show here.

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by DipsetGeneral

Originally Posted by JD161616

It may be that.
 It may also be in response to Tank, who was going off about how The Weeknd isn't comparable to him. Tank was arguing with someone on twitter saying:

how many records has he sold? Or been a part of selling? Of Grammy wins or nominations? Twitter.lol  Twitter is a popularity contest! Let's have have a paper contest!! The General..  they gone learn today! Ask em to grab a mic and take the stage wit me! No chance!!  who u think teach the choir?! I'm done wit foolishness for the night.. Good luck  I have to do this! I have over 120 songs written, produced n RELEASED! 30 million records under my belt! 9 gram nom! Wknd? Try 17yrs! Done 
Tank has sold 30 mil?! What album(s)?!

He writes for a lot of people including Drake. Songwriters/Producers get credit for records sold
Ohhh I see, that's what he was tryna say.

I found his Mod Club performance better, and he does have back up singers, his guitar players.

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Stream was solid i thought.  He is def getting better and better.

But i agree with you guys GET BACK UP SINGERS!! it kills the vibe when he skips lyrics.  He needs to learn better breath control and needs back up singers for the chorus so he can just vibe out. 

agreed.

Maybe it was because it was outside so the sound wasn't as sharp, I've heard him when he is in a closed venue...with a roof and he sounds great

Yeah it being an open venue kind of hurts him and the need for back up singers. He hit his notes so thats all that really matters honestly. His issues can all be fixed he has a great catalog of music that rivals anyone who is popular now.

This was the flop performance of the first weekend of coachella without a doubt.  
The guy can't sing, his band can't even help him out and play together and keep him on top.   Overall it was a shotty amateur job with terrible singing.   Easily the worst performance of the whole weekend. 

142958249.jpg

Originally Posted by bballah3

This was the flop performance of the first weekend of coachella without a doubt.  
The guy can't sing, his band can't even help him out and play together and keep him on top.   Overall it was a shotty amateur job with terrible singing.   Easily the worst performance of the whole weekend. 

hell no. I was there and Frank Ocean was MILES worse.

You clearly missed Frank Ocean's set, Collin.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DatRealBalla12

I missed most of the coachella performances and am just now catching up but was my guy Frank Oceans set really THAT bad?
nerd.gif

yes. yes it was. probably the most disappointing show i've ever seen. me and my buddy were HYPED for his set, rolled there with some girls camping next to us, and he completely blew it. HORRIBLE.

he got a new band this week though, even got the guitarist from Incubus, so i'm assuming it was much better.

Is anyone else at coachella or watching? We're no more than
15 rows back and can't hear his voice at all. Everyone around is a huge fan and not a single person is into it. Ton of people who waited 2 hours (eternity at a festival) already left. This is a disaster. Especially after Frank Ocean murked Friday night.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

15 rows back and can't hear his voice at all. Everyone around is a huge fan and not a single person is into it. Ton of people who waited 2 hours (eternity at a festival) already left. This is a disaster. Especially after Frank Ocean murked Friday night.

Interresting. I feel like he'll do better in the small venues he booked for his upcoming tour.

damn, interesting...

I reallly wanted to go to check his show out too.

Originally Posted by maldonado

damn, interesting...

Just for The Weeknd's sake, I hope Persia is exaggerating or he was one of the few that felt that way. His first set seemed good, I don't get why the second one would be worse after another week of prep. I'm gonna see him this Friday, so hopefully his indoor and smaller shows are better. Either way, I'm gonna have a blast. 

truuu..

I'm watching his set from the first weekend.

I'm enjoying it..

not the best vocal performance a times, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. His catalog, albeit a short one thus far, is some of the most refreshing stuff I've personally heard in quite some time.

cant wait to catch a small-venue show of his.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Originally Posted by maldonado

damn, interesting...

Just for The Weeknd's sake, I hope Persia is exaggerating or he was one of the few that felt that way. His first set seemed good, I don't get why the second one would be worse after another week of prep. I'm gonna see him this Friday, so hopefully his indoor and smaller shows are better. Either way, I'm gonna have a blast. 

It was a sound issue more than a performance issue. His mic levels were low as hell to the point that the crowd singing along often drowned him out. Not his fault but I don't see how the issue wasn't fixed after the first song. NO ONE was feeling it. Dude next to me was Ethiopian and beaming with pride before the set. Left midway. I flew from Indiana mostly to see him, left halfway. This can't be how they wanted the performance to sound.

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

You clearly missed Frank Ocean's set, Collin.
laugh.gif
I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank.    I 
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed.  The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection,  and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.) 
Sure, he had to cut them off a couple times due to the mix not blending perfectly, he was clearly upset with the sound he was getting, but It had nothing to do with HIS vocal performance. The engineer trying to mix on the fly after 6 bands before them had messed with the board and make it sound better is where all of the problems come from in a festival like this, and Im not one to complain about that stuff. Its not entirely their fault on that. Frank gave a superb vocal performance. 

The Weeknd though...... the guy can't sing.  I don't know what else to say.  The crowd was hyped for his show too, I even got to my favorite spot (right in front of the sound boards) expecting to hear some great vocals and see a good show....such disappointment.  He can't hold the notes, much less hit them. He had no breath, clearly hadn't trained for any live shows.  He had the crowd drowning him out on songs, sometimes even letting them sing his part while he would try and hit every 3 or 4 words ("I can't hit it, so I might as well let them take it" approach).    

At least I was able to make it over to see Gotye finish up his set.  

Back
Top Bottom