The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
just got my 2 tixs for NYC Bowery Ballroom, hyped

800px-Bowery_Stage.jpg

Originally Posted by Miniojw

^^^ I've never been to the ballroom. That place looks small as hell. Hope I'm wrong.
Capacity is 550 and the layout is almost exactly the same at Bowery and Music Hall of W'Burg. I've found that in past "sold out" shows, it never feels insanely packed, though. 

Originally Posted by JD161616

Originally Posted by Miniojw

^^^ I've never been to the ballroom. That place looks small as hell. Hope I'm wrong.
Capacity is 550 and the layout is almost exactly the same at Bowery and Music Hall of W'Burg. I've found that in past "sold out" shows, it never feels insanely packed, though. 
Guess I'll find out Saturday. Anyone going to the Wednesday show?

Originally Posted by bballah3

Originally Posted by DiPlOmAt TDOt

This was the flop performance of the first weekend of coachella without a doubt.  
The guy can't sing, his band can't even help him out and play together and keep him on top.   Overall it was a shotty amateur job with terrible singing.   Easily the worst performance of the whole weekend. 

You clearly missed Frank Ocean's set, Collin.
laugh.gif
I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank.    I 
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed.  The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection,  and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.)

QFT That boy sung his %$% off. Thinking About You was !#+%$%! up then he cut the bad and sung that thing acapella.... *game over*

This was the flop performance of the first weekend of coachella without a doubt.  
The guy can't sing, his band can't even help him out and play together and keep him on top.   Overall it was a shotty amateur job with terrible singing.   Easily the worst performance of the whole weekend. 

laugh.gif
I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank.    I 
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed.  The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection,  and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.)
Honestly, I think you are drunk and high, and know nothing about singing. Frank Ocean, is a solid singer, a professional singer but the concept he has some insane range or dexterity is crazy.

Cee-Lo hits notes 99% of male singers can't hit, Maxwell does that, Kells does that, but Frank Ocean b? Nahhhhh.
laugh.gif

Caught the Coachella performance. Sounded horrible. Doesn't make me enjoy his music any less and I'm not getting into the discussion on ranges and vocal cords and all of that %%@+. Overall, the live renditions of the songs he performed just sounded...bad. Both the singing and the music behind it.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Prices still stupid for this Saturday....
frown.gif

Yea they are. Curious as to see how much they come down before the show tonight.
Smuggling in some decent cameras for tonight's show. Will post a recap/pics/etc late tonight via my various sites.

frown.gif

Yea they are. Curious as to see how much they come down before the show tonight.
Smuggling in some decent cameras for tonight's show. Will post a recap/pics/etc late tonight via my various sites.

Tickets for tonights show in Brooklyn are still $120. Dayum.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank.   I
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed. The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection, and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.)
Honestly, I think you are drunk and high, and know nothing about singing. Frank Ocean, is a solid singer, a professional singer but the concept he has some insane range or dexterity is crazy.

Cee-Lo hits notes 99% of male singers can't hit, Maxwell does that, Kells does that, but Frank Ocean b? Nahhhhh.
laugh.gif

Is this a subliminal "I love the Weeknd, you hurt my feelings" post? Thats you running away with what I said. Also is missing the point of my post, which was "Franks Set > The Weeknds set" at Coachella weekend 1.

Frank has a very unique and soulful voice and a great falsetto, which leads to him having a range beyond most male singers in the "industry." Frank has some pipes too....not Kells status, but he can at least project his voice (unlike the Weeknd)

Please don't ever throw Cee-Lo into a conversation about singing, especially when it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. And no, Cee-Lo can't hit the notes that 99% of male singers can't hit. He is a great producer, but the guy is a average singer with above average 'raspy-squealing' ability.

But, if you want to talk about real singers - Lets talk about Bocelli, Pavarotti, or Placido Domingo. Thats the 1% of Male voices. Female - Best voice hands down is Sarah Brightman. You can't even argue that.

Enjoy the spectacle. THIS is singing.

frown.gif

Tickets for tonights show in Brooklyn are still $120. Dayum.
As I figured...lowest price is 44 bucks now. 

Thought about hitting up the show at DC's 9:30 club tomorrow but can't find tix, anyone have a spare or two out there wanna hook a bro up
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I caught both. If you think Frank Ocean was worse you obviously can't hear notes or have some blind love for the weeknd/hatred for Frank. � �I�
I saw Frank Ocean's set from start to finish and I was impressed. �The guy can flat out sing. He hit notes that 99% of male singers in the industry out there can't hit, with perfection, �and can actually carry himself when his band and sound was off (which it was for Weekend 1.)

laugh.gif

Is this a subliminal "I love the Weeknd, you hurt my feelings" post? ��Thats you running away with what I said. � �Also is missing the point of my post, which was "Franks Set > The Weeknds set" at Coachella weekend 1. �

Frank has a very unique and soulful voice and a great falsetto, which leads to him having a range beyond most male singers in the "industry." Frank has some pipes too....not Kells status, but he can at least project his voice (unlike the Weeknd)

Please don't ever throw Cee-Lo into a conversation about singing, especially when it has nothing to do with what we are talking about. �And no, Cee-Lo can't hit the notes that 99% of male singers can't hit. �He is a great producer, but the guy is a average singer with above average 'raspy-squealing' ability. � �

But, if you want to talk about real singers - Lets talk about Bocelli, Pavarotti, or Placido Domingo. Thats the 1% of Male voices. �Female - Best voice hands down is Sarah Brightman. �You can't even argue that. �

�Enjoy the spectacle. �THIS is singing.�
nah man im not disagreeing with the fact that the weeknds singing was bad, i just think you crazily overrating frank who is a good  singer but nothing transcendent, and plus the weeknds songs are more difficult to sing.

Frank has a solid singer with a good fallcetto, I would agree with that, the cee-lo stuff we can just agree to disagree.
30t6p3b.gif

also im obviously not comparing any of these guys to opera singers, im talking popular music.
grin.gif
laugh.gif

I think the weeknds set overral was just better, becuase the band and the arangment were way better than franks, and the weeknd just flat out "performed" frank was acting like he was singing in a shower.

The weeknds problems seems mostly related to breath control and stamina, probably doesn't have alot of experience singing live, he was good his first time live in toronto im sure h'ell get better as he gets more reps.

Originally Posted by CParkFresh

laugh.gif

QFT That boy sung his %$% off. Thinking About You was !#+%$%! up then he cut the bad and sung that thing acapella.... *game over*
Then Coachella/Youtube's sound must've been "off", because that first weekend his performance was subpar and got some flack for it in the media. From what I read and heard about the second weekend he fixed all the prior issues (got a new band, tech poblems fixed) and gave a great show.

- I'm a big Frank fan.
- Don't care for Weeknd, but I'll support those from my city making a stamp in the industry.

as someone who was there, The Weeknd was average at Coachella, and was still MIIIIILES ahead of Frank Ocean. Frank Ocean played one of the most disappointing sets i've EVER seen. there's no excuses for that $*##.

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

as someone who was there, The Weeknd was average at Coachella, and was still MIIIIILES ahead of Frank Ocean. Frank Ocean played one of the most disappointing sets i've EVER seen. there's no excuses for that $*##.

Open and shut case Johnson.

I'm %%**!+! hyped to see The Weeknd at a cemetery. The best part is that you could bring your own alcohol!!!! #%%% is gonna be cray!

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Originally Posted by PJ and Bompton

Open and shut case Johnson.
As someone else who was there (weekend 2), it would take a deaf person to say Weeknd > Frank Ocean in terms of performance. Frank Ocean was pretty much flawless from start to finish and had the whole crowd mesmerized. Weeknd lost the crowd within the first 10 minutes of his set. You couldn't hear his voice. It was the worst set I saw all weekend. And check my post history if you care, I'm a huge fan of dude and went to Coachella mostly to see him perform in person. And I left his set halfway because it was unwatchable. 

People can argue and throw shots, but I was up front for both shows and Frank Ocean was 10/10 and Weeknd was 2/10 at best.

Back
Top Bottom