The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
Supposedly the weeknd was supposed to sign with OVO, but opted to do his own deal, causing a "rift" between him and Aubrey.

im surprised no one here has mention the weeknd and Drake's beef/rift
Did a quick Google search, it looks like The Weeknd didn't want to sign with YMCMB. Doesn't sound too credible but if true I'm glad he isn't with those boys. He doesn't need Drake or his clown label. With that said a Drake x Weeknd mixtape would be 
eek.gif
 they need to go ahead and do that
Supposedly the weeknd was supposed to sign with OVO, but opted to do his own deal, causing a "rift" between him and Aubrey.
Ron-Swanson-Says-Dont-Even-Care.gif

i'm glad abel does his own thing, he no longer needs drake...

Bingo. I still say he hardly ever needed Drake to begin with.

Dont agree with never needing drake but naw he doesn't need him now. But it's more about loyalty Drake didn't/doesn't need Wayne/YMCB but dude is extremely loyal to them (which I find commendable) Regardless I don't care where Abel is signed as long as the music stays :smokin........... But If all this is true I see why Drake is mad and I agree it's kind of ****** up .

You guys are crazy.. without Drake The Weeknd wouldnt have HALF the fans he has... Drake was loyal to that boy... if it was any one else you would say he did Aubrey dirty.

You guys are crazy.. without Drake The Weeknd wouldnt have HALF the fans he has... Drake was loyal to that boy... if it was any one else you would say he did Aubrey dirty.

i heard they offered him a ****** deal and he wouldve been still under YMCMB... maybe he just didnt like the terms... just cuz u looked out for me dont mean imma give u all my profits

I understand the loyalty aspect. But it's like people have said, just because you helped out and you're my homie doesn't mean that I want to make pittance for the music I'm making.

Plus the ymcmb ship may have sailed. Wayne's been catching flack lately, so it seems like Drake and Nicki are the ones keeping it afloat. That's just my opinion.

Ultimately, Abel isn't really disrespecting Drake, just paving his own lane.

I understand the loyalty aspect. But it's like people have said, just because you helped out and you're my homie doesn't mean that I want to make pittance for the music I'm making.

Plus the ymcmb ship may have sailed. Wayne's been catching flack lately, so it seems like Drake and Nicki are the ones keeping it afloat. That's just my opinion.

Ultimately, Abel isn't really disrespecting Drake, just paving his own lane.

In the end, sometimes you need to just worry about yourself and the welfare of your own career/life.

Bingo. I still say he hardly ever needed Drake to begin with.

Felt this way as well. What did Drake really do for the homie? If anything, Drake went the Weeknd route with Take Care and tapped into a more emotional side, etc.

I think it was beneficial for both of their careers. The weeknd saw the commercial side of big music, drake was able to dig into a dark aura he was far removed from. I still think their careers would have been perfectly fine had their paths not crossed.

Drake helped with his cosign, but The Weeknd has been putting out real quality music before that, so he would've been fine without it.

Drake helped with his cosign, but The Weeknd has been putting out real quality music before that, so he would've been fine without it.

This is all I've been saying. Weeknd's been making GOOD music. Drake saw that and have dude a bump. All I'm saying is that he would've been fine without said bump.

Not my list but yeah drake did ALOT for his career and we can't say how popular he would of been without the cosign but we can say how popular he is because of it
1) Put the first 3 tracks on his blog (What You Need, Morning, Loft Music)
2) Tweeted about him and his crew
3) Tweeted about Wicked Games when it was just released
4) Posted House Of Balloons on his blog when it dropped
5) Introduced him at the Juno Awards party
6) Jumped on The Zone
7) Put him on the 2011 OVO Fest Line-up and then introduced him again soley after the Trust Issues performance
8) Booked him his first show at the mod club in 2011 backed up by his band (Adrian X and Hill K)
9) Rumored that it was actually Drake's guitarist, Adrian who introduced Abel to his long time friend Doc Mckinney in Jan 2011
10) Featured him in his video for Headlines and Marvins Room and let his XO crew direct both videos and handle all the artwork and photo-shoot for the album.
11) Put him on Take care " Crew Love" "The Ride"" Shot For me" "practice" and "Good Ones Go"

Not my list but yeah drake did ALOT for his career and we can't say how popular he would of been without the cosign but we can say how popular he is because of it
1) Put the first 3 tracks on his blog (What You Need, Morning, Loft Music)
2) Tweeted about him and his crew
3) Tweeted about Wicked Games when it was just released
4) Posted House Of Balloons on his blog when it dropped
5) Introduced him at the Juno Awards party
6) Jumped on The Zone
7) Put him on the 2011 OVO Fest Line-up and then introduced him again soley after the Trust Issues performance
glasses.gif
Booked him his first show at the mod club in 2011 backed up by his band (Adrian X and Hill K)
9) Rumored that it was actually Drake's guitarist, Adrian who introduced Abel to his long time friend Doc Mckinney in Jan 2011
10) Featured him in his video for Headlines and Marvins Room and let his XO crew direct both videos and handle all the artwork and photo-shoot for the album.
11) Put him on Take care " Crew Love" "The Ride"" Shot For me" "practice" and "Good Ones Go"
Didn't even think about that, guess he did help out a lot. Would you say his contributions to Take Care settled the score?

Didn't even think about that, guess he did help out a lot. Would you say his contributions to Take Care settled the score?

Not at all The ride is one of my favorite songs ever simply because of the verses, imo you could of replaced Abel with someone else and the song would of still been amazing. Weeknd did bless him with Crew love though, no replacing him on that :lol: IMO you really can't settle the score for somebody putting you on/changing your life especially not with a few hooks but u can try with loyalty. Drake should of signed him before he start doing this free promo though, he had to see how Weeknd did Jeremy Rose

Drake helped Weeknd get promotion but does that really mean Weeknd owes him by signing to the YMCMB label? I think some of you guys aren't thinking too clearly. 

I understand why Aubrey would be upset but at the same time you should understand why Abel might be hesitant to sign with YMCMB. Weeknd owes Drake some but not to the amount where a contract should be signed... 

If anything, as I've been saying since The Zone dropped, I would hope Drake makes enough to create his own label where he and Abel can be the main artists, the official OVOXO label.

Last edited:
I know a lot of folks who only know the Weeknd through Drake but that still don't mean I owe you anything. **** with me cause I'm killing it not cause of what I can do for you later. If that's the case every rapper that gets his first feature should sign with that artist.

I learnt of The Weeknd because the girl I was FB stalking at the time posted the link to Drake's Twitter post about HOB.

#ThankYouDrizzy

There has to be more to it than that. The Weeknd's been doing his own thing from the start. I'm glad that he's using his fame and money as leverage to NOT sign with the typical major labels and do what everyone else is doing. Drake had the same opportunity after having the biggest mixtape in recent years - he decided to join Lil Wayne and YMCMB instead of creating his own brand. It worked out for him but I can't imagine him getting upset over Abel trying to do something different.

I am happy that I'm not hearing Weeknd hooks with Birdman, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne on the verses. :x :x :x

Back
Top Bottom