The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Serious question, is he getting way too much money to ever get back to the quality music of before?

I'm speaking in a sense of the way Future seemingly successfully crossed over initially, Turn On The Lights/Neva End, but ultimately his album was trash and he got back to the basics once Hollywood spit him back out... please nobody "apples & oranges" me... I'm trying to polish this terd as best I can.

Last edited:
A group of mine went to go see him at the Voodoo festival in NOLA this past Friday, said he performed GTG/HOB but didn't do Wicked Games.

I'm listening through Trilogy right now while I'm doing homework and man...

This album is truly unreal. It's so beautiful. Crazy to see how much has changed. 

You guys love to complain lmao

I don't know how you can listen to the lyrics on "What You Need" then listen to the lyrics on "Real Life" or "As You Are" and not see growth.

You can not like it, that's your opinion. But I don't get the dumbing down his product for pop angle.

Serious question, is he getting way too much money to ever get back to the quality music of before?

I'm speaking in a sense of the way Future seemingly successfully crossed over initially, Turn On The Lights/Neva End, but ultimately his album was trash and he got back to the basics once Hollywood spit him back out... please nobody "apples & oranges" me... I'm trying to polish this terd as best I can.

:lol: it's over dawg. The features and remixes prolly the only thing left and after while even that will get old. Son switched his style up all the way

Starboy = MEHHH at best
False alarm :x

On another note. I heard tell your friends randomly the other day. One of his best songs.

@MrWavez  I know your taste be highly questionable...

But dawg, 
roll.gif
at Tell Your Friends being one of his BEST songs. 

I can't even say that because he was getting a lot of money straight out the gate.

Dude got 300k to do Coachella the first time and was selling out tours from the jump.

He just wanted a higher level of pop success obviously, that's the only reason you start going to Max Martin.

His label boss at Republic confirmed all of this so it aint like we making up some narrative.

I wish him the best but I'm not interested in no more things in that BBTM/False Alarm/British accent vein.

Also he's solidified in that Pop world, they not spitting him out like they did Future.

I don't know how you can listen to the lyrics on "What You Need" then listen to the lyrics on "Real Life" or "As You Are" and not see growth.

You can not like it, that's your opinion. But I don't get the dumbing down his product for pop angle.

You literally took the first song that he made as The Weeknd and compared it to two off his last album, not a great example at all.

Show me anything he's made recently on the same level of Professional, Adaptation, Coming Down, The Zone, Montreal, The Knowing etc.

Nothing off BBTM was as impressive from a writing standpoint and the production definitely isn't close.

Like I said, it's a taste thing, maybe you into the more pop leaning ****.

Last edited:

I agree I just listened to BBTM last night still good to me.

Listened to trilogy a few days ago and its still as good as it was when I first heard it. I definitely think he is growing as an artist.

I purchased tickets for Verizon Center section 110 Row M. Hopefully the album is good.

this will be wiz khalifa 2.0 ......kush & oj / cabin fever days just as good as kissland days but it will never happen again.

ive been quoted saying kissland is the best compilation of music in any genre.....however, wiz khalifas kush & oj is as good as it gets when it comes to raps. kush & oj easily in my top 10 all time albums/tapes for rap/hiphop....except for the demi lovato "its over" track, that tape is flawless.....man dont get me started on the mood that songs like "in the cut" and "never been" create.

The back and forth with OG fans is tired at this point. Been happening since KL released.

Wanting your music to be good AND appeal to a lot of people isn't really selling out. Donald Glover has said the same thing. Starboy and False Alarm may not be up your alley but they don't sound like anything on the radio and they don't sound like anything he's done before.

Personally, I listen to all types of music. If he chooses to hit all the genres that influence him, it's all good with me. Doc called it the most experimental The Weeknd's been on a project. Can't wait for that.

I do understand that he came out and his music spoke to a lot of hip hop fans that didn't even mess with RNB before him. Selling those people on False Alarm, pop punk type stuff is not happening.

Wild Love was crazy slept on in this thread btw

From the article

If you thought BBTM was incohesive sounds like y'all are in for a rude awakening

Hope I'm wrong and the album is great

Despite the change I still really liked BBTM. 

Tell Your Friends, Real Life, Prisoner, As You Are, etc... are all great tracks.

I thought the Madness Tour was really dope too. 

God forbid people prefer an artist they're fond of to not venture too far off track from the music they once made... the music that made some of us fans in the first place. :rolleyes

Miss me with that holier than thou bs. The qualms expressed by people who've been fans since the beginning isn't tired. Applaud the mediocrity if you must. But I've always been able to be objective with what an artist produces. That's what it means to be a fan. The inability to do so, and make excuses for anything they put out is tantamount to being a stan in my book.

Album comes out in a few weeks. We'll see how it turns out.

We're all day 1 fans. If you're tired of the "complaints" stop coming in. Everyone doesn't have to share the same opinions and really nobody is going overboard with their assessments

^^^

To build on what y'all said, I was one of the ones excited about Starboy and defending his artistic progression before all of this ****.

Enough is enough man.

Back
Top Bottom