The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.7%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.6%

• Total voters
They need to give him a shoe called the Puma Life

So there's a Low Life and High Life

After letting it marinate, there's a few songs I'll be keeping. I'm not just a fan of the Z100, poppy style Weekend. I understand he's far removed from that the style of music that won so many people over, and that's ok. Luckily, we still have that to listen to.

After letting it marinate, there's a few songs I'll be keeping. I'm not just a fan of the Z100, poppy style Weekend. I understand he's far removed from that the style of music that won so many people over, and that's ok. Luckily, we still have that to listen to.
Mind blown lol

All this Starboy slander

giphy.gif

Maybe he was afraid it would sound too much like Tell your friends

He said part of this album is leftovers from BBTM... makes sense

Last edited:
Album version of Six Feet Under is much better than the leak imo. The bass drop at the first chorus rather than the bridge works way better. Beat is more polished overall too.

Last edited:
Album version of Six Feet Under is much better than the leak imo. The bass drop at the first chorus rather than the bridge works way better. Beat is more polished overall too.
I'll listen again but future ruins it
I was just about to edit and say that I like Future on it :lol:. The "cowbell" sound in the beat on the leak doesn't work imo.

Last edited:
After running through the album a couple times, it's alright.

I appreciate the amount of tracks on here for sure because I at least knew there would be **** in a different lane from the songs that are too poppy.

Really like Sidewalks but I hate the auto tune, don't understand the need for it on a song with so much organic instruments. Kendrick killed it unsuprisingly, dude on the bridge has a great voice as well.

Reminder is fire besides the cringy Lo Mein line.

Party Monster is dope, still some of the lines on there are bad, love the hook.

Love Six Feet Under even if it is Low Life pt.2, would've loved more Metro x Doc on the album but he's obviously not pop leaning enough.

I rock with I Feel It Coming, Weeknd x Daft Punk just works, would've loved if they had even more than just the two tracks.

Surprisingly like Nothing Without You even though I'm not a fan of Diplo's work usually.

Not feeling False Alarm, Secrets, Rockin, A Lonely Night, Die For You, Love To Lay, Stargirl Interlude, All I Know and Attention.

All of those songs are just super bland/basic, Secrets/Rockin especially, I'm straight off of ever hearing a Weeknd x Max Martin track ever again but obviously not going to happen especially if either of those succeed like Can't Feel My Face.

Lana Del Rey is just bad to me, never understood the appeal of her besides her "image".

True Colors had potential, love the drums on there but the chord progression doesn't do much for me. Maybe it can grow on me though.

All in all, I feel a bit ambigious about the project. It's good that he covered a lot of ground but at some parts it doesn't even feel like certain songs are from the same album.

I'm not expecting him to go back in time to 2011-2014 because that would be impossible and redundant but I can't say that the music is of the same quality at all.

A lot of the album is just very programmed and sterile, I feel in love with the music because of how organic it was even after he achieved success.

A lot of y'all have your own opinions but I'm going to have disagree with anybody that says this is "growth".

More commercially successful and a progression into pop? Yes but the music is not better from a songwriting/production standpoint.

But taste changes especially as your experience does so I can't knock him for making what is true to him right now, we'll always have the old music and I'm not going to act like he still doesn't make great songs sometimes.

This just isn't the progression that I thought I would see with the level of greatness that he showed so early in his career.

I appreciate the amount of tracks on here for sure because I at least knew there would be **** in a different lane from the songs that are too poppy.

Really like Sidewalks but I hate the auto tune, don't understand the need for it on a song with so much organic instruments. Kendrick killed it unsuprisingly, dude on the bridge has a great voice as well.

Love Six Feet Under even if it is Low Life pt.2, would've loved more Metro x Doc on the album but he's obviously not pop leaning enough.

I rock with I Feel It Coming, Weeknd x Daft Punk just works, would've loved if they had even more than just the two tracks.

Surprisingly like Nothing Without You even though I'm not a fan of Diplo's work usually.

Not feeling False Alarm, Secrets, Rockin, A Lonely Night, Die For You, Love To Lay, Stargirl Interlude, All I Know and Attention.

All of those songs are just super bland/basic, Secrets/Rockin especially, I'm straight off of ever hearing a Weeknd x Max Martin track ever again but obviously not going to happen especially if either of those succeed like Can't Feel My Face.

Lana Del Rey is just bad to me, never understood the appeal of her besides her "image".

True Colors had potential, love the drums on there but the chord progression doesn't do much for me. Maybe it can grow on me though.

All in all, I feel a bit ambigious about the project. It's good that he covered a lot of ground but at some parts it doesn't even feel like certain songs are from the same album.

I'm not expecting him to go back in time to 2011-2014 because that would be impossible and redundant but I can't say that the music is of the same quality at all.

A lot of the album is just very programmed and sterile, I feel in love with the music because of how organic it was even after he achieved success.

A lot of y'all have your own opinions but I'm going to have disagree with anybody that says this is "growth".

More commercially successful and a progression into pop? Yes but the music is not better from a songwriting/production standpoint.

But taste changes especially as your experience does so I can't knock him for making what is true to him right now, we'll always have the old music and I'm not going to act like he still doesn't make great songs sometimes.

This just isn't the progression that I thought I would see with the level of greatness that he showed so early in his career.

:smh: All True.

I played it a second time **** sounds even worse. His music is just empty now.

I literally agree with every single opinion here except the very last statement. When belong to the world premiered on MTV and they made a big deal about it I got the inkling in my head "what if this guys music actually gets big big".. and the song itself had such a different sound to me it sounded a little mainstream

After that video was made he started going on late night shows performing.. I kind of thought it was a direction he was heading..

Before that moment I had never actually given any thought to his music and himself being known to middle America.. naive as hell I was lol

Last edited:
Couple more spins and I'm rocking with this heavily.

I'm beyond the point of expecting Trilogy or Kiss Land Abel because he's at a different point in his life and the money is the motive. 

Can DEFINITELY see why many of you feel the way you do about certain songs... Valid points have been made. 

Can even see why many of you say much of it is repetitive or just not for you.

It's certainly a weird but interesting time for XO. It's odd to see Abel dancing and being this Pop figure that we would have NEVER EVER expected to see. (At least most of us).

Hoping over time this album will hold well, I think it will.

As for the growth discussion, I do agree with @awwsome  to an extent. From the songwriting standpoint there hasn't been much growth... I mean just look at Kiss Land - which had INCREDIBLE writing. (But back to the first point - I understand he's at a different point in his life now). 

Where I do see growth, or maybe growth isn't the right word but a step in an interesting direction is on songs like Secrets and Rockin' where he changes his voice up. I really digged those specific parts of the song and liked how he experimented with that. 

As far as Sidewalks goes... The autotune was not needed and thought the track would've been way better without it. 

Stargirl Interlude was weird to me at first  but after a few spins I'm changing my mind about that and enjoying it. 

Will probably have more to say as more time goes on and the more I spin it but I dig it. A few tracks that are meh but the tracks that are good are very good to me. 

#NTXO

Starboy projected to do 400k first week.

Big numbers, not surprising considering how his fame has grown, Apple Music plug and the fact that the album is 18 tracks so the streaming numbers are going to be crazy.

Still happy to see him flourish regardless of how I feel about the direction. :pimp:

Atleast party monster in the gym is heavy. Can't wait till I hit a club and they play that

Back
Top Bottom