The word God is nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness.

Don't know how to quote correctly, but this is another one of Einstein's letter that I had to read in school.

A child in the sixth grade in a Sunday School in New York City, withthe encouragement of her teacher, wrote to Einstein in Princeton on 19January I936 asking him whether scientists pray, and if so what they prayfor. Einstein replied as follows on 24 January 1936:

"I have tried to respond to your question as simply as I could. Hereis my answer.

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takesplace is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for theactions of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly beinclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. bya wish addressed to a supernatural Being.

However, it must be admitted that our actual knowledge of these lawsis only imperfect and fragmentary, so that, actually, the belief in theexistence of basic all-embracing laws in Nature also rests on a sort offaith. All the same this faith has been largely justified so far by thesuccess of scientific research.

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuitof science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of theUniverse -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the faceof which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuitof science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeedquite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

Don't know how to quote correctly, but this is another one of Einstein's letter that I had to read in school.

A child in the sixth grade in a Sunday School in New York City, withthe encouragement of her teacher, wrote to Einstein in Princeton on 19January I936 asking him whether scientists pray, and if so what they prayfor. Einstein replied as follows on 24 January 1936:

"I have tried to respond to your question as simply as I could. Hereis my answer.

Scientific research is based on the idea that everything that takesplace is determined by laws of nature, and therefore this holds for theactions of people. For this reason, a research scientist will hardly beinclined to believe that events could be influenced by a prayer, i.e. bya wish addressed to a supernatural Being.

However, it must be admitted that our actual knowledge of these lawsis only imperfect and fragmentary, so that, actually, the belief in theexistence of basic all-embracing laws in Nature also rests on a sort offaith. All the same this faith has been largely justified so far by thesuccess of scientific research.

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuitof science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of theUniverse -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the faceof which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuitof science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeedquite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

The irony of the constant barrage of threads like this is that those making them seem just as, if not more, obsessed with religion and God than the so-called religious fanatics... and are convinced that your point of view is the correct one just as much as the staunchest of believers... and attempt to force your beliefs on others just as much as those you mock and insult.

The irony of the constant barrage of threads like this is that those making them seem just as, if not more, obsessed with religion and God than the so-called religious fanatics... and are convinced that your point of view is the correct one just as much as the staunchest of believers... and attempt to force your beliefs on others just as much as those you mock and insult.

^ It appears you don't know how to post correctly either
laugh.gif

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

But, on the other hand, every one who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the Universe -- a spirit vastly superior to that of man, and one in the face of which we with our modest powers must feel humble. In this way the pursuit of science leads to a religious feeling of a special sort, which is indeed quite different from the religiosity of someone more naive."

Originally Posted by SUSHI AND GRITS

Even better story Einstein
happy.gif

Originally Posted by SUSHI AND GRITS

Even better story Einstein
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom