THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could it really?

I'm not defending James Dolan. It's a special place in hell for that man.

But yes, it could be worse. He's been mostly hands off recently. And for better or worse, he's never been afraid to open his wallet. Money won't ever be an issue when it comes to team building.

These new era owners suck hard.

It sounds crazy but you shouldn't buy a sports franchise, especially an NBA franchise, if your finances aren't straight and you're not willing to spend money to win. This is how you end up like Donald Sterling where your fans just hate you for decades.

There have been rumors about him being a broke boi owner since he bought the team

This is why I respect the Buss family so much; the Lakers are a family business to them. They don't have billions of dollars from other businesses yet they still spend money to win because winning is important to them.

Last edited:
Rockets going nowhere with that owner
He’s an issue but I’d put Russ higher on the list.

Hes a historically bad high volume jump shooter from EVERYWHERE so playoff time you have to park him in the dunker until Harden comes out, or even use him as a screener & roller for Harden when they’re trapping.

What we don’t know is if Russ is unwilling to do that or the coaching staff just hasn’t asked him to.

Of course, Russ ended up on the team in the first place because of Harden running off Paul & Morey making the deal, so you could point the finger at either one of them too :lol:

Either way, future is bleak with LAL, LAC, DAL, GSW all in the mix next year. Even a team like Denver is supposed to be a good matchup but Houston just showed they couldn’t a handle a trap :lol:

It sounds crazy but you shouldn't buy a sports franchise, especially an NBA franchise, if your finances aren't straight and you're not willing to spend money to win. This is how you end up like Donald Sterling where your fans just hate you for decades.

This is why I respect the Buss family so much; the Lakers are a family business to them. They don't have billions of dollars from other businesses yet they still spend money to win because winning is important to them.
*Stares at Sixers, Bucks, Kings*

At least the Clippers and Hawks look stable ownership wise.

I'm not defending James Dolan. It's a special place in hell for that man.

But yes, it could be worse. He's been mostly hands off recently. And for better or worse, he's never been afraid to open his wallet. Money won't ever be an issue when it comes to team building.
I hear you but I don't think spending would ever be an issue when it comes to the Knicks under most ownerships given how much money they still generate and are worth with msg and the team.

It's like LAL, the brand is strong enough to keep generating money to spend even when the product is mediocre.

Don't know if I'd give Dolan too much credit in that regard. I'd judge him more on the decision making and hires he's made in relation to team building over flexing the very real financial muscle the team has had for ages if I waas a Knicks fan

Did the fans hate him for not spending money or his comments, I thought he spent some money to Paul and Griffin?

There have been rumors about him being a broke boi owner since he bought the team

doesn't really tell the whole story. it's not like he had zero money and was ill-prepared to purchase the team. he's not poor, he's just frugal and cuts costs to maximize profit margins.

the issue now is that the financial backing for the team was heavily invested in the hospitality market. this normally wouldn't be a problem, but is amplified because of a global pandemic.

apples to oranges with the buss family too. they have the luxury of spending the way they do because the lakers are a top 3-5 revenue generator in the league. easy to spend when free agents are lining up to move to LA AND the fanbase is gigantic

He’s an issue but I’d put Russ higher on the list.

Hes a historically bad high volume jump shooter from EVERYWHERE so playoff time you have to park him in the dunker until Harden comes out, or even use him as a screener & roller for Harden when they’re trapping.

What we don’t know is if Russ is unwilling to do that or the coaching staff just hasn’t asked him to.

Of course, Russ ended up on the team in the first place because of Harden running off Paul & Morey making the deal, so you could point the finger at either one of them too :lol:

Either way, future is bleak with LAL, LAC, DAL, GSW all in the mix next year. Even a team like Denver is supposed to be a good matchup but Houston just showed they couldn’t a handle a trap :lol:

it's not so much the isolation being the issue. it's how they get into it that's a problem. letting defenses set and just banking on your stars winning 1 on 1 matchups is arrogant and foolish. you have to keep the defense moving so they can't load up. it's worse with russ because his initial defender is already parking in the paint. would be infinitely more effective if he was running dribble handoffs or slashing. next coaching choice will be interesting for sure.

doesn't really tell the whole story. it's not like he had zero money and was ill-prepared to purchase the team. he's not poor, he's just frugal and cuts costs to maximize profit margins.

the issue now is that the financial backing for the team was heavily invested in the hospitality market. this normally wouldn't be a problem, but is amplified because of a global pandemic.

apples to oranges with the buss family too. they have the luxury of spending the way they do because the lakers are a top 3-5 revenue generator in the league. easy to spend when free agents are lining up to move to LA AND the fanbase is gigantic

In my opinion, if you go into ownership of a sports franchise with a frugal, cost-cutting mentality you're going in with the wrong mindset. I understand that these billionaires didn't get to where they are by spending money frivolously but your number one priority as an owner and you should have the mindset of spending whatever it takes to win.

Larry Ellison, Steve Balmer, most of the owners of top European football clubs have a "spend whatever it takes to win" mentality and if you don't have that mentality or can't fund your team that way, you are equipped to buy sports franchise IMO

geno90221 geno90221 its wild how Wall got called out for banging.....but FTP Kyrie was flagrant with it on social media, and just existed :smh: :lol:.

88FF9DE5-BC51-4999-A51A-1CB5F5DB8B7D.jpeg

Timing is everything. That’s another Wall/Kyrie slight.

I miss when those two were the young, up and coming pgs. Seems like ages ago. That was a real thing tho. They really had a competitive streak, and didn’t really rock like that. Wall felt Kyrie got all the breaks. Which he did.

geno90221 geno90221 its wild how Wall got called out for banging.....but FTP Kyrie was flagrant with it on social media, and just existed :smh: :lol:.

I miss when those two were the young, up and coming pgs. Seems like ages ago. That was a real thing tho. They really had a competitive streak, and didn’t really rock like that. Wall felt Kyrie got all the breaks. Which he did.
A ring will do that for you

When the lights are brightest Myrie shines 🤷🏾‍♂️

In my opinion, if you go into ownership of a sports franchise with a frugal, cost-cutting mentality you're going in with the wrong mindset. I understand that these billionaires didn't get to where they are by spending money frivolously but your number one priority as an owner and you should have the mindset of spending whatever it takes to win.

Larry Ellison, Steve Balmer, most of the owners of top European football clubs have a "spend whatever it takes to win" mentality and if you don't have that mentality or can't fund your team that way, you are equipped to buy sports franchise IMO

philosophically, I agree with you. If you're going to buy a business, you should be prepared to inject money into it to run it at it's peak. if an owner buys a team, spend money. if you succeed, you'll make it back tenfold.

with that said, it's still a business. profit is always going to be the number 1 motivation. I hoped that the NBA wouldn't let Tilman buy in given his history as a businessman and his ties to local mafia, but here we are.

philosophically, I agree with you. If you're going to buy a business, you should be prepared to inject money into it to run it at it's peak. if an owner buys a team, spend money. if you succeed, you'll make it back tenfold.

with that said, it's still a business. profit is always going to be the number 1 motivation. I hoped that the NBA wouldn't let Tilman buy in given his history as a businessman and his ties to local mafia, but here we are.

Elaborate on the mob ties please. This is new to me

I hoped that the NBA wouldn't let Tilman buy in given his history as a businessman and his ties to local mafia, but here we are.

I was hoping that too and then they let him smh. Now we are here. This guy has to be one of the cheapest owners in major sports. He's gonna hold onto to the Rockets until he cant nomore and we are back in the stinker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom