Things aren't going my way, does Praying work for you?

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by HoisanDoiXHaze

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

Damn, from the look of things. I need to pray more.
It won't work for anyone who prays and questions the faith.
Hmm I don't mean to be a %##% again....but so everyone who doesn't get their prayers answered is questioning their faith? I find that kinda hard to believe. History has shown the most religious of people are usually the most desperate....a lot of times/ most of the time their prayers do not get answered.
you just made a logical error. he said that people that question their faith dont get their prayers answered. you interpreted it as: people who dont get their prayers answered question their faith. basically A leading to B =/= B leading to A.

God has a plan for everyone. You may be going through some things but it is all apart of his plan to test your strength and faith. Sometimes God will allow more burden to bear if you have strayed away from the path he has designated for you. I think its his way of making you realize who he is and the power he has. So when things are not going your way it just may not be in God's favor for the moment. But keep praying it is one of the few things you have in life in which no one can alter or tell you how to do it.

God Bless.

Originally Posted by Theta

Hmm I don't mean to be a %##% again....but so everyone who doesn't get their prayers answered is questioning their faith? I find that kinda hard to believe. History has shown the most religious of people are usually the most desperate....a lot of times/ most of the time their prayers do not get answered.
you just made a logical error. he said that people that question their faith dont get their prayers answered. you interpreted it as: people who dont get their prayers answered question their faith. basically A leading to B =/= B leading to A.
lol what?

Ok so what else would cause someone, not to get their prayers answered? Aside from questioning their faith, apparently there's a list of no nos out there. Apparently faith is not the only prerequisite to getting your prayers answered.

Originally Posted by Hankzilla

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

God tells you what you want him to say

roll.gif

Originally Posted by D723

Prayer works. This is coming from someone who didn't believe in God for most of his life.

It works....
How are ppl gonna say prayer works when they have no proof? Example:My leg hurts, I pray to God to heal BUT I go to the doctor to get it checked out and he gives me medicine. In the end my leg gets better, is that the result of prayer?  or the doctor's medicine? How do you even prove that the act of you praying made your leg heal, I think most ppl use prayer as an excuse to say God is powerful/almighty/etc and as it has been said 1 million times. Prayer: the act of doing nothing but still think you're doing something.
thing is youshouldnt knock people for their beliefs. if it makes them a better person then that is all that matters. Its kind of like asking is love real? is friendship real? is hate real? Things are real if you truly believe in them. Rather than getting on a high horse and knocking people down for what they believe in we should all  commend them for their dedication. well except for the extreme ******s who condemn and damned everyone if they dont believe what they believe in lol

Do i believe in god? Yes and its because of the most craziest and unbelievable situations in my life that i have gotten out of that i believe in him. Now will i knock people for their beliefs in budda, allah, or any other god? No because who am i to say what they believe in is any realer than what i believe in?

and as for your example of the leg it depends how serious the leg injury is. you arent gonna shoot your self in the stomach and pray to god to heal itlol. when i was a kid sometimes my leg would get cold and my mom and i would pray for it and the pain went away. If its minor sometimes its mental and prayer is all about mental and peace of mind.

a man with peace of mind is most likely gonna do much better to get out of the hole when things arent going his way...

Originally Posted by NobleKane

God tells you what you want him to say

roll.gif

Originally Posted by D723

Prayer works. This is coming from someone who didn't believe in God for most of his life.

It works....
How are ppl gonna say prayer works when they have no proof? Example:My leg hurts, I pray to God to heal BUT I go to the doctor to get it checked out and he gives me medicine. In the end my leg gets better, is that the result of prayer?  or the doctor's medicine? How do you even prove that the act of you praying made your leg heal, I think most ppl use prayer as an excuse to say God is powerful/almighty/etc and as it has been said 1 million times. Prayer: the act of doing nothing but still think you're doing something.
thing is youshouldnt knock people for their beliefs. if it makes them a better person then that is all that matters. Its kind of like asking is love real? is friendship real? is hate real? Things are real if you truly believe in them. Rather than getting on a high horse and knocking people down for what they believe in we should all  commend them for their dedication. well except for the extreme ******s who condemn and damned everyone if they dont believe what they believe in lol

Do i believe in god? Yes and its because of the most craziest and unbelievable situations in my life that i have gotten out of that i believe in him. Now will i knock people for their beliefs in budda, allah, or any other god? No because who am i to say what they believe in is any realer than what i believe in?

and as for your example of the leg it depends how serious the leg injury is. you arent gonna shoot your self in the stomach and pray to god to heal itlol. when i was a kid sometimes my leg would get cold and my mom and i would pray for it and the pain went away. If its minor sometimes its mental and prayer is all about mental and peace of mind.

a man with peace of mind is most likely gonna do much better to get out of the hole when things arent going his way...

Love/hate/etc all those things aren't real those are just feelings we as humans feel and think they're real because they make us happy/etc, the same goes for faith. No, things aren't real if you truly believe in them, you have no idea how many times I thought I could fly but to no avail that never came true. I'm not trying to get on a high horse but most religious ppl are condescending, even the term non-religious irks me, it's as if we're the ones missing something, as if we don't see the truth/logic.

So you believe in god threw things you think he got you out of but you don't believe in him logically?
Oh god has limits? I thought god heals all wounds damn my pastor was lying to me.
Yeah, that's true but be true to yourself.

Originally Posted by DT43

Do people still get on their knees for God? (No mystical-$%!#)

people do whatever they need to do to get in the prayerful/spiritual mood.

OP just ignore all of AntonLavey's posts in this thread, he's pretending to answer your question but clearly just wants to stir up debate.. yes, prayer works for me. i cant even count the number of times me and my family/friends have been pulled out of tough situations due to prayer and faith in God. someone could say it was all luck or human perseverance, but with the frequency of prayers i have seen answered, i'm not buying that.

you can always go to God with a contrite heart.. just lay down your problems in life, make the heartfelt effort to commit everything into His hands and strengthen your faith everyday, and also to give God the glory when your prayers are answered instead of assuming the credit for yourself.
Well said, prayer works.

Do people still get on their knees for God? (No mystical-$%!#)

I dont know why i found this funny.

Why do some people only pray when things are going wrong? I thought they were suppose to pray every night and go to church once in a while not once a year.

Lakers will lead 3-2 tonight.

Love/hate/etc all those things aren't real those are just feelings we as humans feel and think they're real because they make us happy/etc, the same goes for faith. No, things aren't real if you truly believe in them, you have no idea how many times I thought I could fly but to no avail that never came true. I'm not trying to get on a high horse but most religious ppl are condescending, even the term non-religious irks me, it's as if we're the ones missing something, as if we don't see the truth/logic.

So you believe in god threw things you think he got you out of but you don't believe in him logically?
Oh god has limits? I thought god heals all wounds damn my pastor was lying to me.
how are any of us religious people being "condescending?" get outta here with that man. if anything, YOU are being condescending in your post for trying to push your personal views of the world on us.

all NobleKane said was "don't knock people for their personal beliefs" and you respond by saying "No, faith is not real".. so who's really being condescending here?

Originally Posted by Theta

lol what?

Ok so what else would cause someone, not to get their prayers answered? Aside from questioning their faith, apparently there's a list of no nos out there. Apparently faith is not the only prerequisite to getting your prayers answered.
Ok a few things. 1) I dont know. The fact that i dont know (me, a 20 year old random nt user) is not evidence of God's nonexistence. 2) I think you misunderstood how prayer is supposed to work. Gods not some magic genie where if you close your eyes and think about what you want, youll get it. Part of Christianity is that everybody is part of a larger plan. Maybe your prayer not getting answered is part of that larger plan, maybe its not. Maybe your prayer conflicts with somebody elses prayer, maybe youre not deserving, who knows.

God is supposed to be a superior being to us. That means that He would be inexplicably more complex than we are and, as a result, we wouldnt be fully able to understand why things happen. Think of it as an animal trying to understand every element of a human's behavior.

** Most importantly**: This is all operating on the premise that God exists, of course. From a logical perspective, the only reasonable position to take is the agnostic position since there is insufficient evidence of either. Between theism and atheism, the more logically sound position is theism since believing in God is a claim of Faith (ex. I believe in the existence of a God) whereas atheism is a claim of Truth (ex. God does not exist). The former claim is more valid than the latter given the evidence (especially since something like prayer and people that claim to feel the presence of God have even more evidence for their position - even if its not demonstrable to any extent).

^^^I'm not an atheist, I'm a strict Agnostic
ohwell.gif
but yea you make a lot of great points.

how are any of us religious people being "condescending?" get outta here with that man. if anything, YOU are being condescending in your post for trying to push your personal views of the world on us.

all NobleKane said was "don't knock people for their personal beliefs" and you respond by saying "No, faith is not real".. so who's really being condescending here?
Most of you guys are condescending always talking to us like we're the deluded ones. How do you not believe in god? Don't you feel him in your soul? Aren't you afraid to go to hell?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Outta here with that. Pushing my views? How? How is faith logically real? Oh, yeah and a common misconception of Athiesm is that we think god doesn't exist, that's not true. Atheism is to not care if their is god/deity/etc. If there is a god I could care less.

Most of you guys are condescending always talking to us like we're the deluded ones. How do you not believe in god? Don't you feel him in your soul? Aren't you afraid to go to hell?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Outta here with that. Pushing my views? How? How is faith logically real? For the sake of argument let's say faith is real, does it make me a better person or lucky that I don't need to question my faith?

QFMFT.....Religious people act like you crazy or something when you don't believe what they believe. One of my classmate's fb message was "How can someone appreciate the complexity of the human body, if they don't believe in God". I stonefaced and kept it moving.
laugh.gif

QFMFT.....Religious people act like you crazy or something when you don't believe what they believe. One of my classmate's fb message was "How can someone appreciate the complexity of the human body, if they don't believe in God". I stonefaced and kept it moving.
laugh.gif

Every time I try to have a debate with one of these cats, they'll recite scripture like the bible's the only thing they can use as a rebuttal. Use you're flipping brain, most of these cats believe in it because they were taught from birth, I was too. But why am I not like them? Because I asked questions that couldn't answered but most of these cats just use the "oh god's the reason" and get mind raped. I asked my pastor this when I was in the 4th grade how can we be good at heart if we're good only because god tells us to be good. My pastor hit me with the oh god has a plan for all of us and it's a good plan so we're always good. wth?
eyes.gif

The Church uses the Chewbaca defense for every argument....dead serious.
roll.gif
We can't win.

i think prayer doesnt exactly DO what you ask...

but it calms you down...

makes you think more clearly...

and from then, decisions are better made...

its like a domino effect...

prayers puts you at ease so things flow better...

just my two cents...

Originally Posted by handullz

i think prayer doesnt exactly DO what you ask...

but it calms you down...

makes you think more clearly...

and from then, decisions are better made...

its like a domino effect...

prayers puts you at ease so things flow better...

just my two cents...
Cosign....it's like meditation. It gets you in the right mind-state to face unfortunate situations.

You can't really ask religious folks, "How do you know prayer works if there is no proof." Of course there won't be any proof. How would you really expect them to prove something like that? It is all tied into positive thinking whether it is religiously based or not. People would like to believe if they think positively, then things will work out for the better. We are all told that even the non-religious dudes. Stay positive. Have a positive outlook. Praying is just another form of that for some.

Back
Top Bottom