Thinkin' bout moving to Atlanta, GA. ATL residents or those who've been, how is it?

Bout to finish college soon, and I'm considering making the leap.  I've been living in NYC for the majority of my life and I don't wanna spend the rest of my life paying out all this money to live in a box, I dont wanna rely on laundrymats and I just look at the quality of life.  NYC is lovely, yeah we #1 in fashion etc but there's more to life than that. I've done research on Atlanta in my spare time, but hey would like tyo get feedback from here as well.

Interested in seeing responses to this also cause the thought has def crossed my mind as well.

You'll need a car very spread out city.

Lower cost of living.

More for your money in terms of land/property.

Most people don't live IN the city limits of atlanta. That 5 Million+ number comes from the metro area. But its all considered the A.

More slow but there is a social scene present. Tons of restaurants and night life.

The city is growing...

I suggest you also check out reddit.com/r/Atlanta and try targeting your question over there. They love to share info.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by sillyputty

You'll need a car very spread out city.

Lower cost of living.

More for your money in terms of land/property.

Most people don't live IN the city limits of atlanta. That 5 Million+ number comes from the metro area. But its all considered the A.

More slow but there is a social scene present. Tons of restaurants and night life.

The city is growing...

I suggest you also check out reddit.com/r/Atlanta and try targeting your question over there. They love to share info.

Good luck.

Thank you.  That site/link is pretty imformative.  I know that wherever I go nothing will ever compare to NYC and that's fine.  Ive been lookin' at youtube viudeos of this guy driving in the city and it's pretty dope.

Tell me this though.  Why don't people live in city limits? 

Originally Posted by RL Treyce

Interested in seeing responses to this also cause the thought has def crossed my mind as well.

You too?
207ufbt.jpg

nice city but i don't want to live there...to me its to far from every other city

my fam is all along the coast and we can get to anyone in a few hours in Atlanta its just Atlanta

i also heard jobs were hard to come by down there...

great city tho i always have fun when i go and it is cheap living compared to the "DMV"

I miss living in Atlanta.

So many good looking young professional women/jumpoffs..

And a lot of people don't live in the city limits because rent is THAT much cheaper if you don't.

My girl's fam lives in NY, where she grew up most of her life.. I visited for the first time last yr and don't think at this point I could ever live there.. That being said OP I'd say take that chance and venture down south.. I've been to ATL a few times and def diff from NY by a long shot.. I'd say you'll need a car though for sure.. I was born in PA but raised in central FL and I've lived here most of my life .. ventured down to Mia after college for a yr by myself and it was tough at first..but started to get used to it right before i was laid off.. eventhough I was only about 3 hours from home without any friends it can be a rough adjustment.... I eventually moved back for employment purposes to central FL.. Since you're coming from the biggest city there is I doubt you'll be overwhelmed by anything. It will be more of getting used to new surroundings, culture and way of life.. It helps to either have somebody you know in that new area or make new acquaintances quick.. just my input..

You need a car.

Get a spot outside of the city. Much cheaper

Tons of beautiful black women

Night life is cool also

I have been living her for a while and Atlanta is dope. 
Atlanta is not to expensive unless you live in the city i.e. bulkhead, atlantic station, vinings, and even some parts like on the outskirts of the city. It all really depends on where you get a job and how much you want to drive because Atlanta traffic has gotten really bad over the years. 

Im not sure if you have a job here already or not, but the job market isn't what it use to be, but of course thats everywhere I assume. The night life is pretty dope I can't say it lives up to NYC tho. 

Make sure your ready to drive because NYC is very convenient to get from one spot to another. Marta and GCT doesn't run all over the place unless you plan on living in the city even then most people prefer to drive. 

If you need any specifics let me know I'll be glad to tell you just didn't want to write too much on here. Hope this helps some

If I was from NY, only place I would want to move/explorer would be Los Angeles. I love LA, but ATL would never cross my mind, but if its a money thing, I see your point.

It's a good city. Opportunity everywhere if you have an eye for it.

Like people are saying, city is spread and everything is about 20 to 30 minutes away if you live in the burbs.

I work at the airport, and most people that come from the north or west always comment on how cool, nice and laid back everybod is.

I dont consider the issue about it being "slow" real anymore because everybody is pretty much up to speed via the web these days.

Lots of social scenes and stuff to do.

Cool city.
Originally Posted by supa vegetto

I miss living in Atlanta.

So many good looking young professional women/jumpoffs..

And a lot of people don't live in the city limits because rent is THAT much cheaper if you don't.
I dont know if people REALLY understand when I say you accidentally pull attractive women out here. Minimal effort. If you take care of yourself, social, and have a little something going, you're in.

And something about that... How is the dating scene up in NY? There's this chick that I'm talking to that just moved here from NY, and this chick got a different kinda vibe.. Yall must have to put forward a lot of effort for women up there? I mean... Are they used to the guys doing all the calling and chasing? I'm not sure if it's just me, but I aint wit boarderline stalking a chick to communicate. It's not a question of weather or not she's interested, I just think she has this ego that tells her I should be chasing.
grin.gif
Is this the norm for NY chicks?

i'm actually tiring of nyc myself.

The women over here I feel are over-gassed.

$++# is expensive.

Cops are a bunch of scumbags themselves.

But then again it is nyc
pimp.gif

I figure after graduate school i'm out of here.

laugh.gif
The dating scene in NYC sucks in my opinion.  Friend's with benefits is the way to go here.  No headaches.
pimp.gif

Im from Atlanta, and i still live here. a lot of stuff in this thread is pretty accurate for the most part. the job market is really tough down here now.

Honestly OP NYC is where im trying to get to. i wouldnt mind doing a space swap with you.....srsly

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

Im from Atlanta, and i still live here. a lot of stuff in this thread is pretty accurate for the most part. the job market is really tough down here now.

Honestly OP NYC is where im trying to get to. i wouldnt mind doing a space swap with you.....srsly

laugh.gif
 Let's do it.  We can even film it. 

Wow, I'm in the same exact boat. Currently live in Manhattan, but I'm growing tired of it and of seeing most of my income go towards rent. My boy moved down there in July and told me I need to get down there ASAP. I'm heading down next month to chill with him and scope out the city. Anyone know how the job market there is for finance/accounting professionals?

Originally Posted by KingJay718

laugh.gif
how much you paying in NYC and where do you stay...i'm from Atlanta and i've been considering NY myself, but i'm not trying to spend my monthly income on it...

Originally Posted by Epidemik The Great

Originally Posted by KingJay718

laugh.gif
how much you paying in NYC and where do you stay...i'm from Atlanta and i've been considering NY myself, but i'm not trying to spend my monthly income on it...

The Bronx.  I'm paying 1,000 and change for a 1 bedroom.  Not to mention Con Ed, Cable, metrocards, etc  Whereas I can score a nice townhouse for that price if not lesser.

Yeah we #1 in fashion material stuff, but hell a lot of cats still in their Mom's apt sharing a room with thier siblings awaiting their parents to decease so they can take over the lease..

We should just all move within the same damn neighborhood...
laugh.gif
Been wanting to make the move to GA for quite some time...got my close family all in Stockbridge. My homie lived in the Bronx up until a year ago, got himself a job with Delta, and relocated there.

Just how hard is it to get a job?

Back
Top Bottom