Thinking about going to the ARMY, Yay or Nay?

BigDanes89

formerly bigdanes14
I saw the Air Force thread, so thought I would post as well.I havn't talked to a recruiter, so I want to know benefits, salary, basic training, ...Any info would be much appreciated.

Two grandfathers, three uncles, one cousin, both parents were/are in the Army - hell, I was born on base...

...I tip my hat to you - contrary to popular belief, your country takes good care of you.

training is easy, I went USMC though

my uncle is a ranger, he gives me dirty looks all the time but that's family, I can't hate the dude

the army is cool, training is easy, but the fact if you should go or not all depends on why your going? i tell people all the time if its something you
always wanted to do go for it, but if it money or other reasons think on it and make sure your making the right decision.

Originally Posted by bigdanes14

I saw the Air Force thread, so thought I would post as well.I havn't talked to a recruiter, so I want to know benefits, salary, basic training, ...Any info would be much appreciated.

Same as OP, been thinking about joining myself. What are some careers you know will help you to find a good stable job right after you complete your 4 or 6 years?

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Same as OP, been thinking about joining myself. What are some careers you know will help you to find a good stable job right after you complete your 4 or 6 years?

You in college already?
You could go to college first and then have the Army cover your tuition or grad school when you get out...

...in other words, you can go into the Army already knowing the career you want and have the country pick up the tab.

That's how my family did it...

n1co86ya wrote:

There's a lot of careers you can pursue in the military especially in the army.
http://usmilitary.about.c.../tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

The military is good for your resume if you're looking for a job and you can even get a degree while you're serving.

My Sgt. back in MCT got a degree in Criminal Justice 
ohwell.gif

I'm in the Air Force now...my old boss from when I was in Korea is out here and me and him had lunch a couple weeks ago and we were talking about how if we could have done it over we both would have went Army....the Army is not a bad deal AT ALL.

Originally Posted by IgnantBliss

I'm in the Air Force now...my old boss from when I was in Korea is out here and me and him had lunch a couple weeks ago and we were talking about how if we could have done it over we both would have went Army....the Army is not a bad deal AT ALL.
Can you go into a little more detail as to why, specifically for those who might be thinking about both?

Originally Posted by FullTech

n1co86ya wrote:

There's a lot of careers you can pursue in the military especially in the army.
http://usmilitary.about.c.../tp/armyenlistedjobs.htm

The military is good for your resume if you're looking for a job and you can even get a degree while you're serving.

My Sgt. back in MCT got a degree in Criminal Justice 
ohwell.gif

Thanks May I ask, what's your career and how is it going to benefit your life once you are out?

Watch restrepo.

If you can deal with possibly living like that and dealing with the things they do.....Look into it more.

If not, dont waste your time.

The Army is what you make it. It's not a bad gig at all if you can take advantage of the opportunities the Army provides, and if you can deal with all the bs that comes with it. I love putting the uniform on everyday, but I can do without all the extra stuff.

n1co86ya wrote:
Thanks May I ask, what's your career and how is it going to benefit your life once you are out?

no problem
I work as a supervisor for a mining company

once you get out of any branch, you're going to see the world in a new light

new opportunities, new people and etc 
wink.gif

It depends on individual philosophy man. I think the armed forces is a cool institution as far as earning a living goes, however I disagree with their imperialistic foreign policy and military hierarchy. If you have any desire to follow your own will, the military would limit that somewhat.

Im 20 approaching my BA this Spring my fam who had success in the military on both sides have really been pushing me to join the air force as an officer. Its a helluva opportunity to deny but I'm trying to maintain my own perspective and I know the military would change my self with their conditioning.

How much are you willing to compromise for material gain?

The ones you hear talking about they don't like the Army are the ones that's always @%%$!%* up. The ones who can't pass their PT and all that jive. If you do what you supposed to do and don't go above and beyond your pay grade, you should be straight. Love what I do

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by IgnantBliss

Can you go into a little more detail as to why, specifically for those who might be thinking about both?
As far as the Army compared to the Air Force you will more than likely get promoted faster...the promoting system in the Air Force is flawed in my opinion as well as many others....I mean that's what it's all about right? Advancing and getting the money....on top of that the Army is alot more lax on %*$$ then the Air Force...they're looking for anything to kick people out of the Air Force right now. I myself am on thin water for some petty %*$$ in my eyes but I had a talk with my First Sergeant earlier this morning and I think I'll be alright for now. Our bases and standard of living in the dorms and stuff like that is better then the Army's but the Army gets a bad wrap and they really aren't that bad....we deal with the same %$$**%*$ politics they deal with.

If "taking good care of you" means lying to you and then sending you to some POS place, well yeah they do!

I can't speak from personal experience, but one of my best friends is a career army guy and he has made the most of his opportunity.

Coming out of HS he didn't really know what he wanted to do, but a 4 year university was not an option (due to grades). He enlisted full time right out of HS. Joined up, got stationed at Ft. Bragg as part of the 101st airborne (to this day, dude is always tryin to get me to jump out of planes with him, but thats another story). After he did his 6 years? he was able to find a fulltime gig back home with the National Guard. He's been full time Army National Guard since then, and hes approaching his 13th year now in the military.

Now while you wont necessarily get RICH joining the army (especially if you're not an officer) it seems like you can make a decent living.

To compare him to NT standards -

We live in arguably one of the most expensive parts of the country (Orange County/LA, CA) and my boy was the first one in my crew to be a homeowner. I joke with him all the time that I went to college for no reason and shoulda just joined up with him. He NETS a little over $6K a month as an E-5 and should get bumped up even higher once he makes his E-6 next year. His house is nearly paid off. He drives a Porsche Cayenne. He's got a decent watch/timepiece collection coming together. He is currently shopping for an engagement ring and will probably drop $15-20K for his girl (lucky her). Best part? He plans on retiring before his 40th bday, and will have a nice pension to live off of after that. Must be nice.

Thanks for the info guys. My reason for joining is for better job opportunities. My brother just got out of the Marines and it seems like the military really got his life started on to the right path. One more question, I'm 21 and I'm almost done with getting my AA degree in a CC. If I decide to go to a University after my service, will the ARMY pay for tuition still?

Thanks for the info guys. My reason for joining is for better job opportunities. My brother just got out of the Marines and it seems like the military really got his life started on to the right path. One more question, I'm 21 and I'm almost done with getting my AA degree in a CC. If I decide to go to a University after my service, will the ARMY pay for tuition still?
Yes. It is called the Post 9-11 G.I. Bill. The amount paid is based off your cumulative years of service and the maximum in-state tuition rate for a public school in the state in which you will be attending school.

Back
Top Bottom