Thinking about going to the ARMY, Yay or Nay?

i always wanted to join the armed forces to get trained and be beaten into pristine shape

but then sundoobie's post pops into my head.

i really wanna learn how to use weapons...the real way...breach rooms and %!$@....

im waiting for my dude Keem to get back from germany/afghanistan and show me a lil sumpthin

Honestly dude, watch the film "Occupation Dreamland". Army insight from all different types of people in the army aka soldiers. Deeming you a "soldier" though is the first step in making you feel like a pawn in a chess math.

I did 5 in the Marine Corps and it is all what you make it. There are great times and times that suck, which is what it will be on any job. I say a Yay if you are smart and can get into the technology side of the army.

I was an avionics tech in the USMC. If I had to go in as a grunt I wouldn't have enlisted.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Originally Posted by bigdanes14

I saw the Air Force thread, so thought I would post as well.I havn't talked to a recruiter, so I want to know benefits, salary, basic training, ...Any info would be much appreciated.

Same as OP, been thinking about joining myself. What are some careers you know will help you to find a good stable job right after you complete your 4 or 6 years?

You in college already?
You could go to college first and then have the Army cover your tuition or grad school when you get out...

...in other words, you can go into the Army already knowing the career you want and have the country pick up the tab.

That's how my family did it...
you can join the national guard also..... and go to school at the same time and get 100 percent of your school paid for

also what the guy said about the army is right if u want to get promoted faster join the army. you get up to E-4 automatically.... sgt u have to put in a lil work but its reachable within a few yrs in...

navy and air force promote real slow.........

and whatever mos you pick in the army make sure u can make bank off it when u transition back into the civilian world.

how the job market is right now u are not doing self any injustice in joining.... and dont let these fools who have never been in the military convince u not to go. they just scared to make that commitment.  the training you receive before u deploy is good, u will be more then confident whenever u deploy IF U DO.

probably the best choice i ever made
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Xavier

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

Originally Posted by n1co86ya

Same as OP, been thinking about joining myself. What are some careers you know will help you to find a good stable job right after you complete your 4 or 6 years?

You in college already?
You could go to college first and then have the Army cover your tuition or grad school when you get out...

...in other words, you can go into the Army already knowing the career you want and have the country pick up the tab.

That's how my family did it...
you can join the national guard also..... and go to school at the same time and get 100 percent of your school paid for

also what the guy said about the army is right if u want to get promoted faster join the army. you get up to E-4 automatically.... sgt u have to put in a lil work but its reachable within a few yrs in...

navy and air force promote real slow.........

and whatever mos you pick in the army make sure u can make bank off it when u transition back into the civilian world.

how the job market is right now u are not doing self any injustice in joining.... and dont let these fools who have never been in the military convince u not to go. they just scared to make that commitment.  the training you receive before u deploy is good, u will be more then confident whenever u deploy IF U DO.

probably the best choice i ever made
pimp.gif

Exactly what he said..please do not be enlightened by these fools in the civilian world who are not in the service..as everyone said life is what you make it so joining the Army/military is no different.

Don't join if you're scared of getting deployed. I'm off to Afghanistan in Oct.

Still love it tho.

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Still love it tho.
maybe its just the friends that I have, but all my friends who are in the Army almost look forward to getting deployed.

My boy who did his 1st tour in Iraq said the biggest issue for him was the boredom.  Granted, it is a war zone, but he was confident in his training, abilities, and especially his trust in his brothers in arms, that the thought of death or major injury was not that big a concern for him.  He said he will probably be going to Afghanistan in 2012, and that is a different beast than Iraq.  That being said, he still welcomes it.  With the additional hazard pay and reduction of living expenses (since hes not gonna be at home for atleast a year) he plans on paying off his car, buying himself another Rolex, and droppin some extra bucks into his savings when he gets back.

Call me crazy, but to be honest I wouldn't mind going to Afghanistan because a lot of people don't get to witness what really goes down there and I'm sure it will be a very interesting/eye opening experience. Either that or I get bodied...

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Still love it tho.
maybe its just the friends that I have, but all my friends who are in the Army almost look forward to getting deployed.

My boy who did his 1st tour in Iraq said the biggest issue for him was the boredom.  Granted, it is a war zone, but he was confident in his training, abilities, and especially his trust in his brothers in arms, that the thought of death or major injury was not that big a concern for him.  He said he will probably be going to Afghanistan in 2012, and that is a different beast than Iraq.  That being said, he still welcomes it.  With the additional hazard pay and reduction of living expenses (since hes not gonna be at home for atleast a year) he plans on paying off his car, buying himself another Rolex, and droppin some extra bucks into his savings when he gets back.

lot of people looking forward to that like u said because of the money lol......

depending on your rank u can save at least 30-40 g's if u budget ur money right

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

I can't speak from personal experience, but one of my best friends is a career army guy and he has made the most of his opportunity.

Coming out of HS he didn't really know what he wanted to do, but a 4 year university was not an option (due to grades). He enlisted full time right out of HS. Joined up, got stationed at Ft. Bragg as part of the 101st airborne (to this day, dude is always tryin to get me to jump out of planes with him, but thats another story). After he did his 6 years? he was able to find a fulltime gig back home with the National Guard. He's been full time Army National Guard since then, and hes approaching his 13th year now in the military.

Now while you wont necessarily get RICH joining the army (especially if you're not an officer) it seems like you can make a decent living.

To compare him to NT standards -

We live in arguably one of the most expensive parts of the country (Orange County/LA, CA) and my boy was the first one in my crew to be a homeowner. I joke with him all the time that I went to college for no reason and shoulda just joined up with him. He NETS a little over $6K a month as an E-5 and should get bumped up even higher once he makes his E-6 next year. His house is nearly paid off. He drives a Porsche Cayenne. He's got a decent watch/timepiece collection coming together. He is currently shopping for an engagement ring and will probably drop $15-20K for his girl (lucky her). Best part? He plans on retiring before his 40th bday, and will have a nice pension to live off of after that. Must be nice.
this is the kind of stuff that make me wish I joined the military right out of high school
mad.gif

Originally Posted by SunDOOBIE

Our country is at war so just know you will be sent 'there'
I say NAY only because for the past 10+ years... stories like this are all too common.  

LOS ALAMITOS – A silence fell across the airfield as the body of 22-year-old Army Sgt. Jason Weaver arrived home in Orange County just before noon Monday.

http://www.ocregister.com/news/weaver-292082-army-patricia.html
li2ft2-b78768842z.120110314140024000gdftvf08.1.jpg

I hate when people say stuff like this. Simply cause were at war in the middle east doesn't mean your automatically gonna get sent there. I have an uncle that was in the Air Force and did a full 20 years and not once was he sent overseas to a war zone. He got deployed to Hawaii and if you ask me thats a vacation, not a deployment. It all depends what your job is, simply by joining the army doesn't mean you earn a one way ticket to Iraq or Afghanistan, if your infantry, security forces, etc yeah your chances are high but it still doesn't mean your going. You could be a computer guy, air traffic controller, a cook, etc. Will you be out in a humvee seeing battle time, no. Can you get deployed? Sure, but again, doesn't mean your gonna be out in gun battles with al-qaeda.

One of my friends is in the Marines and he enjoys it. Dude is a homeowner and drives a G35 coupe and saves all he money he's currently earning. He just got sent to Japan three days before the big earthquake hit but luckily the base there at wasn't hit with any tsunamis.

I'm currently in the process of joining the Air Force. Took the ASVAB already and just waiting for my recruiter to let me know when my physical is. I'll probably be put on the DEP since my AFSC may not be available for some time.

Back
Top Bottom