Thoughts on the Lizzo twerking at NBA game vol. This Why Rikishi trending

2X02.gif

NT's favorite woman is hosting on NT's favorite sketch comedy show.

I know you Lizzo lovers will tune in :lol:

I never heard that word being used as a slur. Apparently, its a UK thing. I guess Twitter should change its name too.

It was nice of her to accept the criticism, change the lyric, and not whine about cancel culture and free speech

I remember Nintendo a long time ago (like over a decade ago) Nintendo pulled a game from stores in the UK for a similar reason

The word is spaz?
What's the context of it being derogatory?

I've lived in the uk and haven't heard that one.

Random thought considering different cultural word usage. Do American LGBT folks have an issue with British use of the word "***" for cigarettes?

I think it's weird idea.
So basically all anglophone countries need to export their specific idiosyncratic vulgarities?

if the word is bad in your country the obvious solution is to censor it in your country.

but Lizzo whole brand is basically DEI consultant pop star, so probably a good move on her part.

In Canada Quebec french has a whole bunch of profanity that is specific to Quebecois french.

Settler french canadians were basically all catholic, so all the profanity tends to be related to Catholicism.

The most profane word, basically equivalent to the F word.
is "Tabernac" french for a church "Tabernacle"

if you were a french artist from Sierra Leon lets say
should you have to conform to french Canadian vulgarities because you both speak the same language?

Is Lizzo selling music exclusively for a non UK market?

Her music is streamed there, albums sold there, and she performs there

I do not see how having two different versions of the song would be a better move.

Is Lizzo selling music exclusively for a non UK market?

Her music is streamed there, albums sold there, and she performs there

I do not see how having two different versions of the song would be a better move.
I think they've replaced the original on streaming services with the new UK friendly version

which is fine, nice of her to do it.
I just think the expectation is weird. I think there's an Artic Monkeys song that references cigarettes' as ****.

I think it's weird notion that it needs to be re written for north american english speakers.

I agree with Lizzo, you meant no harm so make the change and move on. Same time though having different versions isn't uncommon, i'm thinking of American movies in China and the middle east removing things offensive to them but the US still gets the original.

I think they've replaced the original on streaming services with the new UK friendly version

which is fine, nice of her to do it.
I just think the expectation is weird. I think there's an Artic Monkeys song that references cigarettes' as ****.

I think it's weird notion that it needs to be re written for north american english speakers.
Who is saying there should be?

I watch a ton of UK TV and have for many years while living in US, I have heard the cigarette thing many times. I don't recall there being some large blowback in the US about it. Maybe I missed it.

I think US networks censor the word now but I don't see some large push in the US to tell British artist/creators stop using that word.

And the f-word is used as a slur too in the UK from what I have read and been told. Not as popular in the states but seems like a matter of context.

Like are we really discussing something actually going on or assuming it is?

I agree with Lizzo, you meant no harm so make the change and move on. Same time though having different versions isn't uncommon, i'm thinking of American movies in China and the middle east removing things offensive to them but the US still gets the original.
China influences a lot of things we see in America though.

Who is saying there should be?

I watch a ton of UK TV and have for many years while living in US, I have heard the cigarette thing many times. I don't recall there being some large blowback in the US about it. Maybe I missed it.

I think US networks censor the word now but I don't see some large push in the US to tell British artist stop using that word.

And the f-word is used as a slur too in the UK from what I have read and been told. Not as popular in the states but seems like a matter of context.

Like are we really discussing something actually going on or assuming it is?

no im not saying that is happening
im saying demanding the Lizzo lyric be rewritten would be the equivalent of demanding british reference to ciggarettes as **** be re written.

and imo that's a weird notion.

we don't do that with british vulgarities so I think its strange that some UK people expect americans to do it.
if something is vulgar in your country just censor it.

Back
Top Bottom