--- Thread About History ---

I've got a lot of vintage District of Colombia stuff, pictures, items, etc. as my Mom grew up in SE DC back in the 1960s.

A bunch of NY/Moroccan stuff as well. I'll be back.

Mansa-Musa.jpg
I really hope they make a movie about Mansa Musa. From what I know, the story would very much suit a cinematic telling, like some of the stuff on the picture.

Had the opportunity to finally see the White House, Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. 

I was in awe. 

Going to the Lincoln Memorial during sunset and walking up those steps to see Honest Abe was just a amazing feeling.

I just visited Boston for the first time. Did my homework and read up on the revolution and American history before visiting (Kiwi here). Did the whole freedom trail and it really makes it much more interesting when you know at least some of the history.

Also went to the 9/11 museum in NY. Spent over 2 hours in there. Could've stayed longer but ran out of time. Anyone got recommendations for American history documentaries? 

"Plutocracy is the first documentary to comprehensively examine early American history through the lens of class. A multi-part series by filmmaker Scott Noble, Part I focuses on the ways in which the American people have historically been divided on the basis of race, ethnicity, sex and skill level.

Plutocracy: Divide et Impera (Divide and Rule) includes sections on Mother Jones, the American Constitution; the Civil War draft riots; Reconstruction; Industrialization; the evolution of the police; the robber barons; early American labor unions; and major mid-to-late 19th Century labor events including the uprising of 1877, the Haymarket Affair, the Homestead strike and the New Orleans General Strike. The introduction examines the West Virginian coal wars of the early 20th Century, culminating in the Battle of Blair Mountain.

I thought it was interesting, learned a lot.

http://www.filmsforaction.org/watch/plutocracy/

Had the opportunity to finally see the White House, Washington Monument, and the Lincoln Memorial. 

I was in awe. 

Going to the Lincoln Memorial during sunset and walking up those steps to see Honest Abe was just a amazing feeling.

Lincoln Memorial is my favorite. Much more grand than I had anticipated

Lincoln Memorial is my favorite. Much more grand than I had anticipated
Exactly.

There was something about it that just kinda got me in awe of the moment.

Having the chance to sit down on the steps and look towards the Washington Monument with the still water on the Lincoln Reflection Pool, man...That was awesome. 

I did the dc thing.

It was wack.

Smithsonian was aight tho.

Reflection pool was drained at the time. MAN THAT **** WAS DIRTY.

I did the dc thing.

It was wack.

Smithsonian was aight tho.

Reflection pool was drained at the time. MAN THAT **** WAS DIRTY.

Describe the "DC Thing" as I'm sure you barely skimmed the tip of the iceberg and didn't hit any of the real cultural zones. National Mall and a few flicks of the museums/agency buildings doesn't qualify as the real deal IMO.

For the American history buffs in the DC area, check out the George Washington Masonic Memorial in Alexandria, they have a good amount of his stuff on display...
Thanks for this. I'll plan on checking this out.

Have you been to Mount Vernon? Considering paying the entrance fee to check out GW's home.

Mansa Musa. The man who singlehandedly put Egypt in a 10 year recession. Many historians put him as the richest person the world has ever known. A movie on him would be quite interesting.

I love history. My parents made me switch majors from history to accounting. I don't regret it but I try to do everything to catch up to what I would have known had I stuck with history.

Edit: I catch a lot of documentaries on YouTube if any of you guys are interested. Recently watched BBC specials on Ghengis khan and Hannibal

Last edited:
Oh yall should check out the new African American museum in DC. I heard it's hell to get tickets but even 1 full day isn't enough to see everything. Soo much info.

I'll be going when I get back to DC in 2017. It's definitely a must see from what I've heard.

Last edited:
Oh yall should check out the new African American museum in DC. I heard it's hell to get tickets but even 1 full day isn't enough to see everything. Soo much info.

I'll be going when I get back to DC in 2017. It's definitely a must see from what I've heard.

Think ima head to it during the summer. hopefully the lines/ticket situation is cool by then.

Walked around the building a couple weeks ago and it was busy. Really hoping to get some tickets in the near future and check it out.

For those interested in the Roman Empire, I cannot recommend this documentary highly enough:

It has 6 episodes, focusing on the reigns of 6 Roman emperors:

Julius Caesar

Augustus

Nero

Hadrian

Constantine

Justinian

It's from 1997, so it feels a little dated, but it is still the best documentary on the Roman Empire that I've seen. It doesn't have those cringe-worthy re-enactions of the shows from the History Channel that are meant to entertain, just serious history. They simply narrate quotes from the emperors or quotes about them while showing the actual statues of those emperors from various angles and close-ups. Very simple, yet very effective and haunting technique of telling a story. Those emperors were some cold blooded bastards.

I was watching the episode about Julius Caesar when was on his path to absolute power and how he had gangs of supporters roaming through the streets, intimidating and beating his opponents. Scary how we haven't advanced in over 2.000 years.

Last edited:

It's the truth. So surprised that this government really depicted our roots and didn't hold anything back

View media item 2243170

How many of you guys knew that the U.S gave reparations to the Japanese for placing them internment camps during WWII?

I remember reading an exert about it this summer, while at the National museum of American History in DC.

here's an old NYtimes article: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/04/21/us/senate-votes-to-compensate-japanese-american-internees.html

This was never discussed by any of my history teachers back in middle or high school when we delving into the aftermath of WWII.

It's pretty interesting, Japanese American's can receive reparations, but yet POC who's ancestors were enslaved are still often scoffed at when discussing government settlements for 300 years of slavery. 

As much as I love history it's hard to really get into the History of this county in particular knowing that all of this **** was founded deeply because of the enslavement of my people.

I'm in DC and have never been to any of those monuments ..I don't see myself ever going knowing that they are dedicated ( for the most part ) to racist POS

Everyone got reparations because they had countries that the U.S. had to answer to. Black people in the U.S. are people w/o a home country. The least the U.S. could do is offer free genealogy tests to those that want them so they can at least trace their heritage back to Africa. Nobody held the U.S. accountable for what they did for centuries to African slaves.

I was in awe. 

I need to go there during sunset now 
laugh.gif
 Just imagining that feeling is 
pimp.gif

For the American history buffs in the DC area, check out the George Washington Masonic Memorial in Alexandria, they have a good amount of his stuff on display...
Thanks for this. I'll plan on checking this out.

Have you been to Mount Vernon? Considering paying the entrance fee to check out GW's home.

Back
Top Bottom