Tick bites are no joke...

I got bitten by two ticks a few weeks ago.  Pulled both of them out with ease.  I started to get a bullseye rash about 10 days later where I had one of the bites. Did some research and found that a bullseye rash COULD mean that you are in the early stages of lyme disease.  If it's not treated shortly after, you could experience a lot of problems with your health down the road.  Anyways, I went on two different antibiotics.  My blood test came back negative, which I'm relieved about...but I have to go back to get tested in 6 weeks just to make sure that everything is cleared up. 

Never in a million years would I have thought such a tiny bug can cause so many potential issues.  If you get bitten, be vigilant about your treatment and don't take it lightly. 

Where/how did you find them?

Kind of paranoid because I walked through a grassy/woody area this weekend in shorts, t-shirt and vans.

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Where/how did you find them?

Kind of paranoid because I walked through a grassy/woody area this weekend in shorts, t-shirt and vans

I either got them while walking to the coffee shop by my house or from my back yard.  I didn't notice them until I was about to shower the next day.  One was on my hip and the other on my shoulder.  

If you're out in the woods, just check your body real well when you get home. 

I was watching something on Dateline (or similar program) about some teenage girl who went "mental" and now speaks with an accent...

Doctors don't know what the direct cause is but believe it came from a tick bite.

Edit- Here's the story

I'm actually pretty surprised that I've only been bitten once, considering that i run on trails, i love to hike and being outdoors

I'm at work right now, but I'm tempted to hit up the Handicap Stall and strip down to search for any ticks....

Fuuuuuuuuuuuu paranoid as %++% right now.

Yeah I heard Lyme Disease ain't no joke, quarterback from FSU got bit by a tick a few years back and went crazy.

I'm surprised I've never had a tick... They're all over the place in Upstate NY especially this year and I'm outside a lot golfing and such and being outdoors.

Just make sure you get the HEAD OUT if you get one. That's important.

I have a family member who passed away last year from a tick bite. She was only 7. That %@%# can go quick. She was in the hospital on Saturday and dead by Monday morning.

i got bit in the leg by one. got damn country
indifferent.gif

i know a girl who got lyme disease from a tick.  she said it was pretty painful .

Originally Posted by romedadude

Yeah I heard Lyme Disease ain't no joke, quarterback from FSU got bit by a tick a few years back and went crazy.

Naaaa it was a little more than that which caused Wyatt Sexton to go overboard...lol

I got bit by one like 6 years ago. i go camping and hiking a lot. It was entirely in my leg so i went to the emergency room to get it out. Luckily, no lyme disease or anything.

If you do happen to be outside in an area with ticks, always check your waist/hip area. Have someone else check your back and places you can't see. Tick bites really aren't a joke.

Definitely no joke.

Luckily, California has a real low risk of getting lyme disease. Just take your precautions if your outdoors and definitely get your pets checked this time of year.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Never in a million years would I have thought such a tiny bug can cause so many potential issues.  If you get bitten, be vigilant about your treatment and don't take it lightly. 
you did take it lightly though waiting 10 days after a tick bite.  
caddying in northern va im always on the lookout.  ive been bit twice and both times went to the doctor immediatley. once i was fine, but the other i had traits of the disease in my blood.  i took antibiotics but it messed me up.  100 degree fever in the summer, joints were swollen, nausea, light headed for a week.  

they say one of the best things you can is to keep the tic and it will be a lot easier for them to identify any potential threats...also tuck your pants in your socks

one of my mom's saddest moments is when she thought my bro was playing when he said he couldnt walk...turned out he got bit by a tick...

he's good thos. some 20 or so years ago.

Larry David...

sorry to hear that lobotomy.

Glad to hear everything is ok so far DoubleJs...Good luck with that test in 6 weeks. I'm sure everything will be fine. Post back to let us know the results of that test.

I read somewhere that you can get ticks out by applying a generous amount of liquid soup on a cotton ball & then covering the ticket for several seconds. The tick is supposed to move onto the cottonball....A friend at work said she did this for her husband & it worked...

Originally Posted by jthagreat

one of my mom's saddest moments is when she thought my bro was playing when he said he couldnt walk...turned out he got bit by a tick...

he's good thos. some 20 or so years ago.

Larry David...

sorry to hear that lobotomy.
Thanks dude.  Here's what sucks about the symptoms of Lyme disease, they are identical to flu-like symptoms.  She had been checked out on like Wednesday and told she had the flu.  Super sad story, really.

Correction, I had Rocky Mountain Spotted Tick Fever when I was little...
P.S. my condolences lobotomy, that's tough..

Back
Top Bottom