Tips on Beating the Zone Defense in Basketball

Originally Posted by rashi

Set screens or shoot the lights out.
indifferent.gif

OP, you beat the zone with ball movement.  1-3-1 is typically what is used to counter a 2-3 zone to get it off balance.  Don't just pass the ball around the perimeter, get it in the middle/to the man running baseline and good things will happen.

indifferent.gif

OP, you beat the zone with ball movement.  1-3-1 is typically what is used to counter a 2-3 zone to get it off balance.  Don't just pass the ball around the perimeter, get it in the middle/to the man running baseline and good things will happen.

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Most people would say "improve your outside shooting", which is true, and something that is very important in beating a zone.

But I’d say it is equally, if not more important to attack the seams of a zone. Quick ball movement, timely cuts, and effective dribble penetration can effectively render a 2-3 zone useless. Once you get to the seams, plenty of opportunities there for you and your team.
But We're talking about NT here . Bunch of fat unathletic bums
roll.gif
. Have you seen the NT basketball summit video ?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by mogzz04

Most people would say "improve your outside shooting", which is true, and something that is very important in beating a zone.

But I’d say it is equally, if not more important to attack the seams of a zone. Quick ball movement, timely cuts, and effective dribble penetration can effectively render a 2-3 zone useless. Once you get to the seams, plenty of opportunities there for you and your team.
But We're talking about NT here . Bunch of fat unathletic bums
roll.gif
. Have you seen the NT basketball summit video ?
roll.gif

Originally Posted by nyk2010

i usually flash middle and if i get the ball i look baseline for a cutter first before i shoot

That cut becomes critical or else the center will just clog the middle every time. The cuts keep the center honest. 

Originally Posted by nyk2010

i usually flash middle and if i get the ball i look baseline for a cutter first before i shoot

That cut becomes critical or else the center will just clog the middle every time. The cuts keep the center honest. 

Some good advice in here.

Swing the ball, making someone in the zone guard the ball at every spot. Once the ball gets to one baseline or the other, the zone has shifted all the way over, and is overloaded. Skip the rock or quickly swing it back around and look to attack that closeout.

Send a flasher to the highpost area, if you can make the middle man in the bottom of the zone come up, you have penetrate and kick options to both your center or corner 3.

If you do penetrate from the perimeter, look to make two guys guard you, draw two and kick, attack the closeout that occurs.

Ball screens are good for getting the top two guys to switch, and for a second, are basically guarding the same man, so swing it away from that pseudo double team and make the bottom guys in the zone close out.

You can also swing the ball to a corner and then have him penetrate middle, while filling the spot he left with a cutter from the top or the weakside. If the middle man in the bottom of the zone doesn't close out, you have a naked 3. If he does close out, send another guy thru while the 2nd guy penetrates again.

Some good advice in here.

Swing the ball, making someone in the zone guard the ball at every spot. Once the ball gets to one baseline or the other, the zone has shifted all the way over, and is overloaded. Skip the rock or quickly swing it back around and look to attack that closeout.

Send a flasher to the highpost area, if you can make the middle man in the bottom of the zone come up, you have penetrate and kick options to both your center or corner 3.

If you do penetrate from the perimeter, look to make two guys guard you, draw two and kick, attack the closeout that occurs.

Ball screens are good for getting the top two guys to switch, and for a second, are basically guarding the same man, so swing it away from that pseudo double team and make the bottom guys in the zone close out.

You can also swing the ball to a corner and then have him penetrate middle, while filling the spot he left with a cutter from the top or the weakside. If the middle man in the bottom of the zone doesn't close out, you have a naked 3. If he does close out, send another guy thru while the 2nd guy penetrates again.

set screens up top
penetrate defense should collaspe then you either kick out for a shot or go for a layup
if its a layup dudes from the outside gotta crash easy o reb

set screens up top
penetrate defense should collaspe then you either kick out for a shot or go for a layup
if its a layup dudes from the outside gotta crash easy o reb

Originally Posted by Juice2352

indifferent.gif

You are right with what you said, but I wouldn't stone face the idea of setting screens in the zone.

1. It will confuse most people that are playing r league ball.

2. Screening that back side defender at the TOP of the zone can open up a lot of skip action to the weak side. Open shots galore.

But yea, don't just PASS the ball around the perimeter. Nothing will get done. You need to attack the zone with the dribble, command 2 defenders, and find the open man.

Also, when playing a zone, your offensive setup should be the opposite front of whichever zone they are playing.

2-1-2, 2-3 = Odd man offensive front
1-3-3, 1,2,2 = Even man front.

The same logic should be applied vs. full court pressure as well.

Originally Posted by Juice2352

indifferent.gif

You are right with what you said, but I wouldn't stone face the idea of setting screens in the zone.

1. It will confuse most people that are playing r league ball.

2. Screening that back side defender at the TOP of the zone can open up a lot of skip action to the weak side. Open shots galore.

But yea, don't just PASS the ball around the perimeter. Nothing will get done. You need to attack the zone with the dribble, command 2 defenders, and find the open man.

Also, when playing a zone, your offensive setup should be the opposite front of whichever zone they are playing.

2-1-2, 2-3 = Odd man offensive front
1-3-3, 1,2,2 = Even man front.

The same logic should be applied vs. full court pressure as well.

Originally Posted by RzaRamon

Try to get a good passer to cut penetrate toward the free throw line in the middle of the zone. You can utilize back door passes, kick outs and midrange jumpers from there

fixed,
wink.gif

someone else said it earlier, too

"make the zone move"

the more dudes you can get to react to YOU, the more open your teammates will be....i.e. dribble penetration to the free-throw line....either both guards at the top of the zone have to collapse, or the center has to step up, either way, the elbow or the paint will be open...if not, one of the forwards has overcompensated, leaving the corners open, etc.

basically move the defense, then pass to where the defense isnt, wherever that maybe...

be patient

but yall gotta be efficent and have good timing.....or there will be many steals and fast breaks
laugh.gif

i knew a kid who used to DESTROY 2-3 zones..by himself......and everyone always had to play him in 2-3 zones cause he would cry and complain about being fouled one-on-one...lol

Originally Posted by RzaRamon

Try to get a good passer to cut penetrate toward the free throw line in the middle of the zone. You can utilize back door passes, kick outs and midrange jumpers from there

fixed,
wink.gif

someone else said it earlier, too

"make the zone move"

the more dudes you can get to react to YOU, the more open your teammates will be....i.e. dribble penetration to the free-throw line....either both guards at the top of the zone have to collapse, or the center has to step up, either way, the elbow or the paint will be open...if not, one of the forwards has overcompensated, leaving the corners open, etc.

basically move the defense, then pass to where the defense isnt, wherever that maybe...

be patient

but yall gotta be efficent and have good timing.....or there will be many steals and fast breaks
laugh.gif

i knew a kid who used to DESTROY 2-3 zones..by himself......and everyone always had to play him in 2-3 zones cause he would cry and complain about being fouled one-on-one...lol

Originally Posted by KingJames23

You can pass into the middle of the zone around the ft line.
Get to the middle of the zone with dribble penetration
Ball screens
Shoot them out of it
Swing the ball around the perimeter to make the defense shift until it becomes a man(that's the UTk method).

this is the best way to beat the zone. surprised it took someone so long to post it. ATTACK THE MIDDLE

Originally Posted by KingJames23

You can pass into the middle of the zone around the ft line.
Get to the middle of the zone with dribble penetration
Ball screens
Shoot them out of it
Swing the ball around the perimeter to make the defense shift until it becomes a man(that's the UTk method).

this is the best way to beat the zone. surprised it took someone so long to post it. ATTACK THE MIDDLE

I was always taught to dribble and dish. Make them work on one side of the zone and then maybe set a back screen on the other side or Set up pick and pops

I was always taught to dribble and dish. Make them work on one side of the zone and then maybe set a back screen on the other side or Set up pick and pops

Back
Top Bottom