to my socal COLLEGE students!!!!! help an east coaster out!!!

whaddap socal nt. i'm college student from VIRGINA (
laugh.gif
) and i really want to go to college out in cali... i want to major in information technology(systems or whatever) and i need a recommendation for a good school there. any help?

i heard cal poly pomona is a good school

UCI, UCR, or CPP are my 3 top choices

look back a couple of pages this has been brought up, but from what i hear cal poly pomona is an awesome school but very boring and nothing to do out there

i need specific info on my major, sorry i didnt see hte other post.

how about UC Irvine? is it hard to get into that school?

nah not hard to get into UCI.
as long as you have some extra currics. and a decent gpa (im guessing 3.2ish+) you'll be fine.
we've been having budget cuts though, so all of that might have changed within the year, but yeah..

i go to pomona btw. not sure how good we are for your major, but i know we're really good for engineering, agriculture, and hotel/restaurant management.

UCI is more of a "real college" in terms of the social aspect, but compared to a college like UCSB, nights are quiet.
even though there are a lot that dorm at UCI, a lot go home on the weekends, so it's similar to cal poly, but cal poly is pretty much dead after 5pm (whencommuters usually go home) every night

not to put my school down or anything, but if i was coming from the east coast, i'd probably enjoy myself more at a UC, just because of the socialexperience.

UCI has the arc (ark?) which is a huge gym type facility so it's dope if you like to exercise (CPP is in the process of planning to build one - 2012)
UCI is 15 driving minutes from the beach, UCSB is 5 walking minutes, CPP is about 35 driving minutes (BUT we're about 45 minutes from mt high and an hourand a half from bear, which are both snowboarding resorts)

yeah i really want to go to UCI bit i know it's gonna be DAMN expensive...... what are other good schools around there?

edit: the colleges im looking at

Virginia: Virginia Tech, George Mason
California: UCI, CPP and maybe others

hows UCSC?

I used to go to CPP its campus/social life, school spirit/pride is non-existent; division 2 athletics, no football team.
If you just had to pick one out of the two, I would go with UCI.

Only schools worth traveling that far out to in CA:

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
SDSU

Avoid UCR at all costs!

Only schools worth traveling that far out to in CA:

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
SDSU
Add Cal Poly San Luis Obispo to that list. It's a great school and while it may be a Cal State it is still difficult to get an acceptance fromthere.

On top of checking the costs to attend each, you need to check the ranking of each school and decide based on that also if it's even worth traveling out ofstate for. The experience would most definitely be worth it, but you have to think about your future and not just for now. You have to start thinking aboutpost graduation plans and decide if a school here would be as impressive on your resume as schools in VA.

Either way it doesn't sound like you've done much research on the schools you've listed since you don't seem to be asking specific questions. Isay you do more research and come back when you have a real set of questions to ask.

sole, i go to cal poly pomona and am a comp-sci and econ major....

i don't know jack about the cis program but know a few people there and they aren't very bright...
if you become a computer science major, prepare to get your @#+ handed to you on a daily basis...

Wow CPP is a seems like a random choice for an East Coaster.
laugh.gif
I didn't even know it existed until I was applying. I think you can get a good educationhere, though. Feel free to PM me if you need to, I'll try to answer any questions you might have.

i dont really see anything wrong with UCR. lotta parties and girls everywhere. but UCI seems like a better choice if it came down to it.

Originally Posted by xDawuD

i dont really see anything wrong with UCR. lotta parties and girls everywhere. but UCI seems like a better choice if it came down to it.

you may get kidnapped.
laugh.gif

and yeah UCI is a bit more difficult to get into than CPP, being that it is a UC opposed to a cal state.
but with that said, it'll be more expensive as well

I thought both Cal Poly Pomona and SLO were tougher schools to get into even though they are considered Cal States.

You might want to visit other forums that deal with info on your major. Look at the rankings if you can. I really couldn't find anything by looking at whatcame back from a yahoo search.

cal poly slo and pomona are severely underrated as colleges for degrees because they are cal states and they dont provide doctorate programs... if you plan ondoing a technical / engineering major, you're seriously doing yourself a disservice by completely overlooking these two schools (assuming you want to go toa california college).

Stanford
Berkeley
UCLA
USC
SDSU

laugh.gif

One of these schools clearly does not belong on the list.
I'm starting the CIS program at Cal State LA next month, going for a 2nd bachelor's degree
What made you do this?
What was your previous major and school?
How many courses/units will you have to take to get your 2nd BA/BS?

I'm just curious. Good Luck.

Originally Posted by sole lovely

is uci more difficult go get into?
yes UCR is considered one of the easiest UCs to get into.

anyway, irvine is a really boring city if that matters to you and i would know i've lived here my whole life. with that said UCI is a good school andi've heard good about CPP too but UCI is better

I would go to CPP since you have to factor finances. UCI is slightly better, and it is a bit more prestigious. However, if cost is a factor, and it should be,then the edge should go to CPP. Out of state tuition is going to be a lot, CPP is a great school and you will save a ton on tuition.

I don't know if that made sense.

Cliff Notes:

UCI > CPP

When considering cost:

CPP> UCI

UCI is slightly better, but it isn't that much better.

UCI out of state tuition is $27,895.50 (Residents only pay $8,275.50) *Not considering room and board
CPP out of state tuition will be between $10-15K (Site only states in state tuition which is $3,279)

If you really want to save money and you are going to need money if you want to live in SoCal, you should just register at a CC here and go there for twoyears. It will make you a "California Resident" and you will pay in state tuition instead of out of state tuition. I know a lot of people who wentthrough this route.

Back
Top Bottom