Top 5 in the game RIGHT NOW (or at least since 2010)

Can someone PLEASE tell me why B.O.B. was in the 2010 MTV list? The word "Airplane" better not be present in your answer.
I'll Edit when I have my top 5.

5.Lil B
4.Lupe
3.Rick Ross
2.J.Cole
1.Eminem

I think my biggest factor is relevance and being the most active in terms of releasing free or commercially released (and receiving hype for it) music in the last six months.
The Breakdown:

Spoiler [+]
        Like him or not, Lil B is like a spot of Chili simmering and yet to be served, if you know the cook (pun intended) then you know what to expect, as for the radio listeners, the album will be their first time getting a plate. The album name alone is catching the attention of CNN. Lil Wayne has acknowledged him as a contender. Lil B is on the right track.

Lupe came out of hiding with fists flying after a long creative battle with his label. He still managed to produce an album his "stans" like while still having radio friendly tracks that remind casual listeners he's still around and can still spit. Lasers released at the top of the Billboard 200 with 200,00 copies sold in the first week.

Mr. Ross, where do I begin, after surviving a 50 Cent blitzkrieg of shots and disstracks, Ross has seemingly come out unscathed, some may argue the beef had the opposite effect intended by 50 and gave Ross a bigger audience. Today, Ross isslowly but steadily building his label with a who's who of underground(Pill, Meek Mill and not so underground young artist(Wale) thirsty for respect in the game, with tracks like 600 Benz, they have the potential to be the next big hip hop super group. (In my opinion all the need is a singer to complete the faction.)

Number 2 is, (how he simply puts it), just a n**** straight out the 'Ville. J.Cole may be described as the Nas to Drake's JayZ-like status and charisma, but I don't believe it's that simple. For one, Cole produces some of his own beats so he's a double threat in the studio. On the contrary his lines resonate with your deep thinker type of hip hop listeners on topics that we experience everyday such as the "lunchables" line, unlike the "spillin whille I'm sippin" lifestyle bars we hear so often in Drake's music. In that sense, I can understand the Nas comparison to J.Cole. As evident in his mixtapes released so far and an album due tentatively this fall, there is a lot more to come from this New York sounding southern rapper.

No intro needed, lets get down to facts. Before the release of Relapse Em had not put out music in Five years and six months. The appropriately named Relapse album has, since it's release sold 4.5 million copies. He appears in "Over", his own "Love the way you lie" which haunted the radio for weeks on end, and "No love" with Lil Wayne. Thirteen months and three days after Relapse he released Recovery which up the anty from Relapse'es 4.5 million to 5.7. It is the best selling digital album of all time. His latest work is a collab with Royce da 5'9". How is this for relevancy Hell: the sequel came out nine days ago at the top of Billboard 200 with very little advertising. He ties with B.E.P. for appearing in the most (two,) Super Bowl commercials in the same year, with the Chrysler ad being the longest so far in Super Bowl history. My fingers are tired, do you need anymore convincing?

Based on output, relevancy, album sales/mixtapes, Eminem is the hottest rapper as of this writing.

Supr out.

Originally Posted by SuprDuperFly

Can someone PLEASE tell me why B.O.B. was in the 2010 MTV list? The word "Airplane" better not be present in your answer.
I'll Edit when I have my top 5.

5.Lil B
4.Lupe
3.Rick Ross
2.J.Cole
1.Eminem

I think my biggest factor is relevance and being the most active in terms of releasing free or commercially released (and receiving hype for it) music in the last six months.
The Breakdown:

Spoiler [+]
        Like him or not, Lil B is like a spot of Chili simmering and yet to be served, if you know the cook (pun intended) then you know what to expect, as for the radio listeners, the album will be their first time getting a plate. The album name alone is catching the attention of CNN. Lil Wayne has acknowledged him as a contender. Lil B is on the right track.

Lupe came out of hiding with fists flying after a long creative battle with his label. He still managed to produce an album his "stans" like while still having radio friendly tracks that remind casual listeners he's still around and can still spit. Lasers released at the top of the Billboard 200 with 200,00 copies sold in the first week.

Mr. Ross, where do I begin, after surviving a 50 Cent blitzkrieg of shots and disstracks, Ross has seemingly come out unscathed, some may argue the beef had the opposite effect intended by 50 and gave Ross a bigger audience. Today, Ross isslowly but steadily building his label with a who's who of underground(Pill, Meek Mill and not so underground young artist(Wale) thirsty for respect in the game, with tracks like 600 Benz, they have the potential to be the next big hip hop super group. (In my opinion all the need is a singer to complete the faction.)

Number 2 is, (how he simply puts it), just a n**** straight out the 'Ville. J.Cole may be described as the Nas to Drake's JayZ-like status and charisma, but I don't believe it's that simple. For one, Cole produces some of his own beats so he's a double threat in the studio. On the contrary his lines resonate with your deep thinker type of hip hop listeners on topics that we experience everyday such as the "lunchables" line, unlike the "spillin whille I'm sippin" lifestyle bars we hear so often in Drake's music. In that sense, I can understand the Nas comparison to J.Cole. As evident in his mixtapes released so far and an album due tentatively this fall, there is a lot more to come from this New York sounding southern rapper.

No intro needed, lets get down to facts. Before the release of Relapse Em had not put out music in Five years and six months. The appropriately named Relapse album has, since it's release sold 4.5 million copies. He appears in "Over", his own "Love the way you lie" which haunted the radio for weeks on end, and "No love" with Lil Wayne. Thirteen months and three days after Relapse he released Recovery which up the anty from Relapse'es 4.5 million to 5.7. It is the best selling digital album of all time. His latest work is a collab with Royce da 5'9". How is this for relevancy Hell: the sequel came out nine days ago at the top of Billboard 200 with very little advertising. He ties with B.E.P. for appearing in the most (two,) Super Bowl commercials in the same year, with the Chrysler ad being the longest so far in Super Bowl history. My fingers are tired, do you need anymore convincing?

Based on output, relevancy, album sales/mixtapes, Eminem is the hottest rapper as of this writing.

Supr out.
Not bad with the picks. Good post, the Lil B pick is interesting.

My god have any of you ever even heard of CRayz or Diabolic or Technique or Jedi or Vast Aire?

Most of you listen to trash.

The Gorillaz are better than these lists
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by jcbacall

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

That's a real tough list...

Kanye
Jay-Z
Lupe
Jay Electronica
J Cole
seriously? i mean dude is nice, but TOP 5 right now?

Yea I had to throw him on the list... The only thing that holds him back is the quantity of his music out. If we're talking quality though, he deserves to make the list imo. One of the better lyricists out right now...

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by illfrozn

I think people consider Jay a top MC based on potential and name sake, more than actual music. Yes, we all check for a Jay single, but only because of his past achievements and belief that he COULD kill the verse (versus him actually doing it like in the past). In the past 5 years, he's given us less than before. We keep waiting on him to slaughter a verse and it is a rare occurrence. I think people are scared to talk negatively about him
laugh.gif
I didn't put him on here because of name sake, I put him here because I actually thought he put out good music.

A dozen records that he's been on since 2010, three singles, and I thought he delivered with his output IMO.
Wasn't trying to aim that at you specifically. Just a general statement to what I hear from a lot of people ...

Damn that list makes feel bad. One guy I don't listen to and everybody else but Ye recently dropped an album I didn't feel were that good.

Originally Posted by HOOSIERdaddy282

Eminem does NOT rap like twista... at all... not even old twista..
laugh.gif
You get the point. The "double-time" flow was cool for Forever...and now it's annoying imo.
Wasn't trying to aim that at you specifically. Just a general statement to what I hear from a lot of people ...
I know. Although some other people I know till think Jay is up there *kanyeshrug*

Back
Top Bottom