Torii Hunter is going to the Angels!!!

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torri Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to beworth at least $80 million.

freakin traitor!! yes im mad. minnesota gave him everything and he cant be loyal to his family?

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have said many times on here that I love this dude's game.

With Garret moving closer to Tim Salmon's territory and Vladimir likely moving to a DH spot because of his mapquest routes to the ball playing OF, gettinga solid OF was a must.

So now GMMJr, Torii and ______ (the third guy will change many times throughout the season) have the OF locked up, so let's get some pitching* or 3b.

*I heard a rumor (that started in my head 5 seconds ago) that Torii and Santana are really good friends, and that wherever Torii goes, Johan said he wouldfollow.
nerd.gif

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Outfielder Torii Hunter and the Los Angeles Angels reached a preliminary agreement Wednesday night on a five-year contract thought to be worth at least $80 million.

"They play the game the right way," Hunter said. "They play hard-nosed baseball."

5884.jpg

Hunter

The agreement is subject to a physical.

The 32-year-old becomes the much-needed hitter the Angels sought to protect Vladimir Guerrero in the batting order. Hunter hit .297 with 28 homers and 107 RBIs for the Minnesota Twins this year and is a seven-time Gold Glove winner.

He finished 15th in AL MVP balloting and was on the AL's All-Star team for the second time in his career.

"We are very excited to have Torii joining our organization," Angels general manager Tony Reagins said in a statement. "Not only is he an outstanding ballplayer but he's also an outstanding human being. He'll impact our ballclub and community in a very positive way."

According to the Los Angeles Times, the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Chicago White Sox, Atlanta Braves, Kansas City Royals and Washington Nationals were among those interested in Hunter. The newspaper reports that Tony Reagins, the Angels' rookie general manager, called Hunter's agent Larry Reynolds on Tuesday and a deal for Hunter came together quickly.

"You're a little surprised, huh?" Reynolds told the newspaper Wednesday night. "It all happened within the last 24 hours."

Hunter will join a talented outfield that includes Gary Matthews Jr., Garret Anderson, Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Reggie Willits.

With Guerrero in right and Garret Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr., who played center field this year. The Angels said he could see time at designated hitter at spell the corner outfielders.

According to the Times, the Angels were also in trade talks with the Florida Marlins for Miguel Cabrera, but it wasn't known Wednesday night whether the Angels would still pursue Cabrera.

Reagins has made a splash on the job even before the agreement with Hunter. On Monday, the Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for pitcher Jon Garland.

For his career, Hunter is a .271 hitter with 192 homers and 711 RBIs in 1,234 games.

Information from the Associated Press contributed to this report.

Arte Moreno needs to take some of his cash and donate it to his alma mater to the Mike Stoops Contract Buyout fund.

Damn...wanted him 4 the Phils...

(Yeah right...the Fightins spend money...ok...
laugh.gif
smh.gif
)

Hunter will join a talented outfield that includes Gary Matthews Jr., Garret Anderson, Guerrero, Juan Rivera and Reggie Willits.

With Guerrero in right and Garret Anderson in left, the move leaves no space in the starting outfield for Matthews Jr., who played center field this year. The Angels said he could see time at designated hitter at spell the corner outfielders.

GMJ is going to be a $42 million dollar "Super Sub",
laugh.gif
. I don't think anyone would take GMJ in a trade, kind of how we are stuck with Juan Pierre. The Angels now have a stacked outfield. I can'tsay I hate this move, since the Angels don't lose much (no salary cap in baseball, money is there.).

They will most likely keep Vladdy in RF, Hunter in CF and GMJ at LF with Willits coming off the bench. Anderson is injury prone, so he will probably be the DHand spell Vladdy/GMJ occasionally.

Well that would be dumb as hell. I've already heard that the Angels were contemplating moving Vlad to DH. His arm is a terror, but he'smore of a liability than a commodity out there. There's a reason Papi is a DH; because he's an excellent hitter, and a decent fielder. Ditto with Vlad.
According to the Times, the Angels were also in trade talks with the Florida Marlins for Miguel Cabrera, but it wasn't known Wednesday night whether the Angels would still pursue Cabrera.
Enh, dude's weight is definitely an issue. Monster player, but I'm not sure if he could be as disciplined as Scoscia would demand. JoseGuillen wasn't. Dallas McPherson wasn't. Heck, Jim Edmonds wasn't (Cards fans, can it. Dude has been a gem of a teammate for your guys.
laugh.gif
Not so much with the Angels. He wasn't terrible, but he's changed in StL.)
Reagins has made a splash on the job even before the agreement with Hunter. On Monday, the Angels traded Orlando Cabrera to the White Sox for pitcher Jon Garland
Wait, I change what I said about Miggy Cabrera then. Apparently we need infield help now. I didn't know Orlando was traded. Garland's agood pitcher, though. I'm not mad at that. I mean, a little, because I liked Cabrera.

Ah well.

I'm just glad Torii's in!
pimp.gif

i like this move. i had no idea reagins was gonna pursue him, but he definitely seems like a good clubhouse guy and the type of player that mike likes. so ifwe stop pursuing cabrera, what was the point of trading OC?

By KEN PETERS, AP Sports Writer
November 22, 2007 [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
AP - Nov 22, 2:45 am EST
More Photos[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) -- Vladimir Guerrero finally will have some protection in the batting order.

The Los Angeles Angels, who have been trying to land another strong hitter for several years, agreed to a five-year, $90 million deal Wednesday with free agent Torii Hunter, who hit .297 with 28 homers and drove in 107 runs for Minnesota this year.

The deal is subject to Hunter's passing a physical

$90 Million,
eek.gif

Wait, so they gave him 90 mil over 5 years? And I thought they Rangers offer of 6/90 was overvaluing him...
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom