Toy Story Question Vol. Where Is Andy's Father?

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

his moms was a jump off.

if you ask DC or LDJ she is
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by treewing

Never knew he was a hand me down toy, was that in TS2 cuz I didn't see that one...

Andy's mother mentioned it at the yard sale in Toy Story 2 when that guy tried to buy him (and wound up just stealing him). Something along the lines of "it's been in the family for years".

Never knew he was a hand me down toy, was that in TS2 cuz I didn't see that one...

Andy's mother mentioned it at the yard sale in Toy Story 2 when that guy tried to buy him (and wound up just stealing him). Something along the lines of "it's been in the family for years".

Originally Posted by KleanKicks

Originally Posted by Big J 33

They never mention it or bring it up, doesn't really matter for the story.

It's not that strange, Disney/Pixar like to show unconventional families for a changing society, they don't need the dad in the stories because it's not central to the plots or themes.

By "strange" I'm just saying it's never mentioned/implied, whereas in most other movies there is at least a quick reference. I mean if they really wanted to, it could actually be key to show why Andy's so close with Woody through all of these years. Maybe Woody was a hand-me down from his father who passed away while he was a baby. Maybe Woody helped distract him from the divorce of his parents. I know these scenarios would be too much for a movie marketed for children, but it would have been interesting to know a little more about the human characters in the films as well.
The thing is, the movies in no way suffer from that absence in the story.  The movies are near perfect, despite missing key elements in the lives of the adults.  Sure it would have been interesting, and sure it could have helped you understand or answer some questions, but it would be extra and even unnecessary for a lot of people... children especially.

For example, in the Lion King, they showed Simba's father MURDERED at the hands of his uncle.  While that seems awfully harsh for a children's movie, it was central to the plot and storyline.  That part of the story was necessary and proved the driving action in the story.  For Toy Story, they could have set the whole franchise up with what you mentioned... Woody could have been a toy that his dad gave him before he died, and that could have been central to the franchise and themes..... but it's not.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but that part of the story doesn't have to be told from Pixar's standpoint.  Sure they could have mentioned it, but it would have added nothing other than a random piece of filler knowledge.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

They never mention it or bring it up, doesn't really matter for the story.

It's not that strange, Disney/Pixar like to show unconventional families for a changing society, they don't need the dad in the stories because it's not central to the plots or themes.

By "strange" I'm just saying it's never mentioned/implied, whereas in most other movies there is at least a quick reference. I mean if they really wanted to, it could actually be key to show why Andy's so close with Woody through all of these years. Maybe Woody was a hand-me down from his father who passed away while he was a baby. Maybe Woody helped distract him from the divorce of his parents. I know these scenarios would be too much for a movie marketed for children, but it would have been interesting to know a little more about the human characters in the films as well.
The thing is, the movies in no way suffer from that absence in the story.  The movies are near perfect, despite missing key elements in the lives of the adults.  Sure it would have been interesting, and sure it could have helped you understand or answer some questions, but it would be extra and even unnecessary for a lot of people... children especially.

For example, in the Lion King, they showed Simba's father MURDERED at the hands of his uncle.  While that seems awfully harsh for a children's movie, it was central to the plot and storyline.  That part of the story was necessary and proved the driving action in the story.  For Toy Story, they could have set the whole franchise up with what you mentioned... Woody could have been a toy that his dad gave him before he died, and that could have been central to the franchise and themes..... but it's not.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from, but that part of the story doesn't have to be told from Pixar's standpoint.  Sure they could have mentioned it, but it would have added nothing other than a random piece of filler knowledge.

she says "it's an old family toy"

and it can't be from when Andy was a baby since Molly wasn't born yet. unless, like someone said, Andy's mom is a JO
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

she says "it's an old family toy"

and it can't be from when Andy was a baby since Molly wasn't born yet. unless, like someone said, Andy's mom is a JO
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

OK Brainstrom.

Woody is a toy from the 30s or 40s and a Family hamidown toy. So Grandfather gave woody to his father who gave it to Andy. If this was a case of daddy not being there Andy would have never gotten that toy. I'm gonna assume Andys dad is dead.
You're reaching. 
None of what you just said happened in the movies. 

OK Brainstrom.

Woody is a toy from the 30s or 40s and a Family hamidown toy. So Grandfather gave woody to his father who gave it to Andy. If this was a case of daddy not being there Andy would have never gotten that toy. I'm gonna assume Andys dad is dead.
You're reaching. 

Originally Posted by Agthekid

OK Brainstrom.

You're reaching. 

lmao... I was sitting here trying to remember when they said all that.

Originally Posted by Agthekid

OK Brainstrom.

You're reaching. 

lmao... I was sitting here trying to remember when they said all that.

Back
Top Bottom