Travel Essentials. Vol. That 16+ Hour Flight.

NT Fams
Summer's upon us and I'm sure that most of you guys will be traveling for your vacation. I'll be heading out this Weds. to travel around Asia for a month and a half. The Philippines, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, and Macau to be exact. I'm more than excited to be given the chance to explore these countries. (Even though I've actually been to the Philippines quite often). 

The only thing I'm probably not excited about is the 16+ hours I'll be flying from NYC to Manila.

So I pose this question to you guys. What are your international travel essentials when you guys are in the air for more than 10 hours? What do you guys do to pass the time?

I'd love to hear if anyone else is traveling for the summer and where ya'll going?

-Drew

iPad/ereaderiPhone/touch for musicWet onesNeck pillowFavorite hoop shortsSandalsEye coverIf you want to sleep the whole time or at least half, 1-2 x a n a x bars

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

iPad/ereaderiPhone/touch for musicWet onesNeck pillowFavorite hoop shortsSandalsEye coverIf you want to sleep the whole time or at least half, 1-2 x a n a x bars

+ something to fap to in the bathroom

I thought I would kill myself on that long flight from NY to PI.  It was like torture.  I watched as many movies and tv shows as I could then just slept the rest of the time.

you gotta sleep to knock out those hours in the plane....

or read a book

btw jealous of your trip...sounds way too awesome....hope you make a thread about it w/ pics when you're done

longest travel i've done was by bus from Philadelphia to Mont Tremblant, QC, Canada. 12-14hrs. sleep is your friend. get on that flight tired. remaining hours id recommend watching eps of a series you like that you haven't seen yet. this works better with shows that have hr long eps. if you become engrossed in the show, a season or 2 can go a LONG way.

long movies help. the dark knight alone bangs out like 2.5 hrs
pimp.gif
its a travel essential.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

Most of those are actually in my checklist to pick up before my flight. Minus the x a n a x. 
laugh.gif

I actually need a good neck pillow though. Any recommendations? 

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

you gotta sleep to knock out those hours in the plane....

or read a book

btw jealous of your trip...sounds way too awesome....hope you make a thread about it w/ pics when you're done

I'll actually be loading some of Haruki Murakami's books into my iPad. Hopefully the battery lasts. Apparently the airline I'm using won't have any power outlets by my seat.  

Thanks man. I've been extremely excited about this trip for a while. I'll be travelling alone, but meeting friends over in said destinations. The boredom is going to be ridiculous in the long flights.I'll actually be updating my blog as much as I can. I'm bringing my DSLR w/ me so I'll definitely be snapping photos. I'll make another thread while traveling or updating this thread. 

Originally Posted by shogun

I thought I would kill myself on that long flight from NY to PI.  It was like torture.  I watched as many movies and tv shows as I could then just slept the rest of the time.

I feel you man. The flights to the PI are way too long. I think I'll be bringing some Unisom to knock myself out lol.

Originally Posted by sreggie101

longest travel i've done was by bus from Philadelphia to Mont Tremblant, QC, Canada. 12-14hrs. sleep is your friend. get on that flight tired. remaining hours id recommend watching eps of a series you like that you haven't seen yet. this works better with shows that have hr long eps. if you become engrossed in the show, a season or 2 can go a LONG way.

long movies help. the dark knight alone bangs out like 2.5 hrs
pimp.gif
its a travel essential.

I think I'll try to load a season of Supernatural into my iPad. Hopefully it doesn't suck up all the juice midflight.   
-Drew

What would they do if you started to freak out in the middle of the flight? Restrain you? Sedate you?

Air Canada had personal tv's on the way to Hong Kong! I had nothing to Sydney 
mad.gif
sick.gif

This is my basic list...

2 bottles of water

iPod

PSP

Book

Noise cancelling headphones 
pimp.gif

Gum

You need a flight with wifi and ur good. Pony up the $ to connect. If no wifi, good luck man!

I had a 20 hour flight to Africa this past Christmas. The thought of the length of the flight is actually worse than the flight itself. The key is to manage your anxiety. Just lay back and relax. I actually went to my doctor before the flight and misrepresented a fear of flying so he prescribed me several sleeping pills for my flight. I actually didnt take them but they're definitely a good back-up plan if the flight becomes unbearable.

Compression stockings. Reduce risk of deep vein thrombosis if you stay in your seat for the entire time. 

Damb, going on my longest flight to Oahu in August, I believe is 13 hours, I suffer from flight anxiety, so I won't be able to handle it without some prescribed sedative.

i hate that flight with a passion. when you feel like 10 hours have passed...only 2 have.

set up your laptop or tablet or even phone with movies or series or ebooks. theres a lot to choose on the plane but theres nothing wrong with too much. you never know, i finished all my movies i wanted to see going lol. i didnt have anything left coming back.

take the beer or wine so it helps you pass time. take gravol or something similar if youre familiar with them.

take off your shoes early. you dont want to let a gust of stink to form hours later.

your own pillow is neccessary. the one they give you is like 1 ply toilet paper. switch up positions. if the seat next to you isnt reclined, you can recline your and use the other seat as a place to rest your head. or even putting the food tray doen and sleeping on it like a elementary school desk if youre not 6ft lol.

i liked to brush my teeth and clean my face from time to time to feel fresh.

i also liked to stand up and walk around and even stretch at the back a lot. dont be shy or ashamed. feel at home.

go take a dump when you see the food starting to be passed around. cause you know damn well there will be lines in about 20 mins. or just be smart enough to do your biz at unusual/down times.

I just booked a trip to Cali. It aint no 10 hours but damn near 6 hours is long enough.

Times like this I wish Henzgod would let me hold his ipad for this trip. 
nerd.gif

food/snacks, airplane power adapter (if your seat has an outlet), 2 benadryls (take it 15 minutes before you board)

Originally Posted by Based Mod

food/snacks, airplane power adapter (if your seat has an outlet), 2 benadryls (take it 15 minutes before you board)

This man knows. On my way Singapore the long leg was LAX-Hong Kong, had my ipod but also watched about 5 movies. The entertainment system even had Street Fighter you could play agains the person sitting next to you
eek.gif
(Cathay Pacific)

what airline you flying bro? don't worry about the ipad running out of battery, they have usb outlets now right next to the personal screen. flying is getting better
pimp.gif

wear basketball shorts. jeans get very uncomfortable after a couple hours.
Sleep is your friend. Get some medication like benadryl to get drowsy.

i wore jeans from Chicago to Frankfurt, Germany and then to Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. it was all a combined 20 hours. didnt make that mistake on the return trip

Back
Top Bottom