**Traveling for Work Appreciation/Unapprecition** Vol. Expense Accounts

Appreciated- Just got back from an 8 day stay in Houston. Sampled a lot of new food, visited Galleria Houston Mall (
eek.gif
Females), got to drive around in a rented F150 all week (sort of fly),  Company AX took care of me the whole way
pimp.gif

Unappreciated- 3 hour lay over in ATL (chilled at the bar), had to fly mad early,  by the end had that "I just want to be home" feeling
tired.gif

Anyone else love/hate traveling for work?

Unappreciated : the actual traveling . airports , luggage check , security and waiting.

Appreciated: visiting new places within the country and sometimes international travel. like you said , lots of new food and pple to meet.

company credit card is always good times

I pray I can get a job that allows me to travel. My mom is in pheonix (sp) right now avoiding this damn blizzard we have in VA. she's always in Italy Germany. Korea and Japan at least twice a year. I never have time to go with her cuz of school tho.

traveled to PHX for a week and then to ATL for a couple of days.. DEF dislike... 
indifferent.gif

give me LA or NY, make it a group business trip 
laugh.gif
, then sign me up 
pimp.gif

It all depends on how much traveling to do and if you have a home life. As a single man, it's probably great. As a married man who doesn't mind being away from his wife, it's probably great. As a married man who actually enjoys being around his wife and has kids at home, it probably isn't go great.

I always appreciate it...while my friends are stuck in their 9-5 grinds, I was flying all over the country to basically set up and throw parties....but even leaving and having things payed for is gangster as hell in any job.....sure the luggage and airports and flying are an inconvenience but its still more interesting than what most people do.....

if anyone happens to get a lay over (or a long wait) in austin, get a massage from terry (if she still works there), an hour for $45 + tip......makes the wait fly by....

Originally Posted by Nasdaq

Unappreciated : the actual traveling . airports , luggage check , security and waiting.

Appreciated: visiting new places within the country and sometimes international travel. like you said , lots of new food and pple to meet.

Hit it on the head. Tough to be traveling through the weekend as well and expected to be back in office on Monday. 
You lose a lot of personal time just traveling. Don't get to see loved ones as much. 
But I've seen more of this country than I ever could have imagined. And I have some regular spots I love. Miami for Winter Music Conference. Baller %+% hotel. Poolside. Lovely. 
Chicago for Portillos. BBQ in Texas. In N Out + Roscoe's in LA. The Wharf in SF. Strip Clubs in Tampa. 
And not having to spend a dime out of pocket AND pocketing your per diem because you have your meals with clients and that goes on the card too......SAY WORD! 

I have no idea why my reply looks like that. Yuku is some !$#%%*!*. Bring back the OG NT.......

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

I pray I can get a job that allows me to travel.
me too! the whole concept of traveling for work seems fly as hell to me!

I used to travel a lot at my last job but don't that much now. it can be fun but it gets old fast.
what is appreciated is my 800+ credit score as a result of business expenses. helped me get 0% on a new car as well as making it easier to get into a new home.

Originally Posted by illphillip

Hit it on the head. Tough to be traveling through the weekend as well and expected to be back in office on Monday. 
You lose a lot of personal time just traveling. Don't get to see loved ones as much. 
But I've seen more of this country than I ever could have imagined. And I have some regular spots I love. Miami for Winter Music Conference. Baller %+% hotel. Poolside. Lovely. 
Chicago for Portillos. BBQ in Texas. In N Out + Roscoe's in LA. The Wharf in SF. Strip Clubs in Tampa. 
And not having to spend a dime out of pocket AND pocketing your per diem because you have your meals with clients and that goes on the card too......SAY WORD! 

You can actually add Portillo's to the list in L.A., they have a restaurant in Buena Park down the street from Knott's Berry Farm.  I think it's one of two in Southern California.  Maxwell St. Polish is so damn good.

Originally Posted by illphillip

I have no idea why my reply looks like that. Yuku is some !$#%%*!*. Bring back the OG NT.......

seems like we traveled to the same places for work.....any chance you are in the media/entertainment industry????  WMC, SXSW, CMJ, all the festivals.......

Originally Posted by jibbycanoe

I used to travel a lot at my last job but don't that much now. it can be fun but it gets old fast.
what is appreciated is my 800+ credit score as a result of business expenses. helped me get 0% on a new car as well as making it easier to get into a new home.

how did that help your credit score?

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by jibbycanoe

how did that help your credit score?
I was racking up tons of expenses on my personal credit card (they don't give company credit cards in the environmental consulting industry) but paying it off completely every month.  I guess this is a good thing cus my credit score went up like crazy.

Appreciated....

Good lookin eaalto on the portillos in LA, I'ma check that out......Currently on a project in Orange County, CA (Free In N Out Burger and Roscoes ftw)

Agree with OP......at first I had to pay out of pocket and fill out expense reports which sucks because it ties up so much $, but finally getting my company card, with a 10g limit FTW!

Since I've gotten out of school June '08, I've been to: Seattle, LA, Toronto for my job.....and they've paid for my flights to visit friends (i.e. Vegas, NYC trip Labor day weekend, visiting friends in AZ/CA all the time) because the thing is, on the weekends I don't necessarily have to 'fly home'...I'll usually fly to wherever on Thurs night and work remotely Friday

I'm now in at Silver Status with Delta Sky Miles, so getting the free 1st class upgrade happens almost all the time

Going out to eat with friends for free (including 2drinks) is great, usually get whatever sampler platter they have for everyone in addition to my meal

I'm done rambling

^ What do you do?

I work for a nonprofit, so I feel like a dirtbag wilding out on the business trips. Like if I go a little cheaper that's more money for the children
ohwell.gif

Still get to travel to dope spots though

Traveling to Dallas for 2 weeks and then India for my start of a job. Excited!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

When I was interviewing it was fun having my own 'interviewers' expense account. Nights in the Ritz Carlton, Omni Hotel, and free room service. 
pimp.gif
 Free flights... a lot of airline miles. Just unreal for a 20 year old.

Would love to travel for work.. when your at a young age though. It'll be tough when you've got a family etc.. But then again when your young, single or whatever - you'll be so busy with your career you might miss out on some 'fun when your young'

Back
Top Bottom