Twins/A's - madness.

Ugh, I'd like to move on from these games against Oakland as quick as possible. I think a series win against the LAA will do the trick
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by Bastitch

Originally Posted by solefob

Originally Posted by Darko for MVP

Yeah sue me, meant to say 1989. Typos happen.

But anyways, the reason why A's fans bring it up is because of the fact that we swept you guys in the World Series. The goal for any franchise is to win a championship, which is what the Giants have not done yet in San Francisco. Like I said, I'm not a "Giants Hater". And dont lie, if you swept us in 89, you would be talking about it just as much as we do.

I'm having a hard time taking this from an A's fan when Oakland has been cool with squeaking into the playoffs and fizzling out in the first round over the last decade.

Since we're casting stones in glasshouses:

[table][tr][td]20[/td] [td]1990[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].636[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Lost WS (4-0)[/td] [td]733[/td] [td]570[/td] [td]29.1[/td] [td]31.7[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (103-59)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]1989[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].611[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Won WS (4-0)[/td] [td]712[/td] [td]576[/td] [td]29.3[/td] [td]30.0[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (99-63)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]1988[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].642[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Lost WS (4-1)[/td] [td]800[/td] [td]620[/td] [td]28.0[/td] [td]28.8[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (104-58)[/td] [/tr][/table]
"squeaking" in? its baseball where only 4 teams make the playoffs in each league so there are many times where you only get in by a game or two above the second place team. its not basketball where 16 teams make the playoffs
Out of everything I wrote, that's what you're contesting? That doesn't even address the whole "not good enough to win it all, just good enough for the playoffs" thing I was getting at, since, you know, "it's all about winning the championship".
I actually don't like your bit about 'fizzling' out of the playoffs, Bastitch.

Each time they went into the playoffs earlier this decade the A's forced their first round matches into the final game, hardly what I'd call 'fizzling.'

If you want to call it a meltdown, that would be different. Not something I'd necessarily agree with, but can't be defended too well, either/
exactly

and you post the last three times the A's were in the World Series and sure, they lost to a hot Dodgers team and imploded against the Reds, but they alsoWON a World Series and have been a competitive team for years, sans the last two.

Originally Posted by RBeezy32

Going to be a very interesting week ahead for our A's. Holliday, O-Cab, Wuertz, all of them could be with a new team by the end of next week. As long as they bring us back a decent haul, I'm good. To bad Duke wasn't healthy, we should've moved him last year when we had the chance.

id be surprised if wertz were moved...esp as hes cost controlled till 2010 iirc

duke and cab shouldn't be too hard too move

i dont see holliday moved, unless he's part of a package with cab

stassi hopefully signs soon...1.25M?

/glad leyland signed
//sigh, krol

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by Darko for MVP

Yeah sue me, meant to say 1989. Typos happen.

But anyways, the reason why A's fans bring it up is because of the fact that we swept you guys in the World Series. The goal for any franchise is to win a championship, which is what the Giants have not done yet in San Francisco. Like I said, I'm not a "Giants Hater". And dont lie, if you swept us in 89, you would be talking about it just as much as we do.

I'm having a hard time taking this from an A's fan when Oakland has been cool with squeaking into the playoffs and fizzling out in the first round over the last decade.

Since we're casting stones in glasshouses:

[table][tr][td]20[/td] [td]1990[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]103[/td] [td]59[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].636[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Lost WS (4-0)[/td] [td]733[/td] [td]570[/td] [td]29.1[/td] [td]31.7[/td] [td]40[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (103-59)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]21[/td] [td]1989[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]99[/td] [td]63[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].611[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Won WS (4-0)[/td] [td]712[/td] [td]576[/td] [td]29.3[/td] [td]30.0[/td] [td]41[/td] [td]16[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (99-63)[/td] [/tr][tr][td]22[/td] [td]1988[/td] [td]Oakland Athletics[/td] [td]AL West[/td] [td]162[/td] [td]104[/td] [td]58[/td] [td]0[/td] [td].642[/td] [td]1st of 7[/td] [td]Lost WS (4-1)[/td] [td]800[/td] [td]620[/td] [td]28.0[/td] [td]28.8[/td] [td]35[/td] [td]15[/td] [td]Tony LaRussa (104-58)[/td] [/tr][/table]
"squeaking" in? its baseball where only 4 teams make the playoffs in each league so there are many times where you only get in by a game or two above the second place team. its not basketball where 16 teams make the playoffs
Out of everything I wrote, that's what you're contesting? That doesn't even address the whole "not good enough to win it all, just good enough for the playoffs" thing I was getting at, since, you know, "it's all about winning the championship".
I actually don't like your bit about 'fizzling' out of the playoffs, Bastitch.

Each time they went into the playoffs earlier this decade the A's forced their first round matches into the final game, hardly what I'd call 'fizzling.'

If you want to call it a meltdown, that would be different. Not something I'd necessarily agree with, but can't be defended too well, either/
exactly

and you post the last three times the A's were in the World Series and sure, they lost to a hot Dodgers team and imploded against the Reds, but they also WON a World Series and have been a competitive team for years, sans the last two.
Read my post again:

"Since we're casting stones in glasshouses."

ASTERISK

Back
Top Bottom