UC Irvine

Whats up NT,
After being rejected by the other UC schools I applied to, it seems like I'm headed to Irvine in the fall. So, what's the 411 w/ UCI?

Looking at your avy, it looks like you made the right choice
laugh.gif

Seriously though, it's a pretty nice school. Between LA and San Diego, which is good since I don't recall not having much to do at UCI.

I went their freshman year in '06-07 and I'll be back this Fall...great weather, big asian population, nice campus and they have a great gym too

Why don't you try visiting the school beforehand? I agree with sigma on UCI being consisted mostly of asians.

hmm that is pretty sick that kobe works out there
but yeah as you can tell by my avy i'm chinese lol

Loved the campus, and the ARC as well. We were bummed when they shut the gym down for the entire summer for reconstruction.

It's a nice, open area. Kills L.A., less traffic, better weather, cleaner, less populated.

But plan your college experience like the future version of yourself, who already graduated 2 years ago. I would try to avoid huge classes, and look forhands-on, practical classes where you get real experience. I'd rather work with a small group of kids and people for a semester than sit in a lecture hallwith 200 other students.

Take full advantage of the resources, all those links on the website that you skip to check out the ARC or sports homepage for intramural play, check thoseout.

the mostly asian thing is right. youll need a car to get around since everything is spread out. the ARC is amazing, and i miss working out over there. theyjust finished building the new student center over a year ago (pub included). its a short drive to the beach, and mostly everything is closed in irvine by 10or so. and last i heard priority for almost all on-campus housing is given to first and second year students.

I graduated High School in 2008, got accepted to UCI and UCSD but not UCLA so I decided to just go to community college. A lot of my friends go to UCI, andsurprisingly, most of them are asians.
eek.gif
between UCI and UCSD, I preferredthe environment of UCI and I know this because I go there at least 3 times a month to party, hang out at the beach, ride fixies with the homies w/e. It'sjust really open, fun, beach is really close, and ARC is chill; you'll have fun there don't worry.

I've ran into 2 types of students - those that want out ASAP and those that love it. Never ran into a kid caught in-between.

Depending on your major, UCI may and/or may not be the school for you.

There's stuff to do in the surrounding area if you have a car and the campus/dorms are nice.

The only problem is it seems to take more effort to find "social" events, but once you fall into somewhere, it's as good a school as any other.

Originally Posted by yao11ming4mvp

for those who went there, who you consider transfering to UCLA
cause that's what I'm considering
I don't have personal knowledge/experience on this but I know for a fact that the acceptance rate for CC to UC is higher than UC to UC. Idon't really know why, I'm just assuming that they'll think you're not committed to one goal. Wouldn't hurt to try though, my homie istrying to transfer from UCR to UCLA by next year. My sister went to Mt. Sac (CC) and got accepted to UCLA in 2008.

I'm from Irvine, and my high school sends about fourty people there every year. The vast majority of them love it. The only complaint is that it's tooclose to home, but since you're not from the area, that shouldn't be an issue. You'll be fine.

wow, in all my years at UCI. i've never EVER seen kobe there. i even worked at the Arc for 3 years. smh

Originally Posted by pianoman52

wow, in all my years at UCI. i've never EVER seen kobe there. i even worked at the Arc for 3 years. smh
What?! My friend saw Kobe there like three times and he only volunteered there for a year.
laugh.gif

I don't go to Irvine, but I really like it. I'm there a few times a month because a bunch of my good friends go to UCI. Nice environment, and you willfind almost nowhere in the U.S. as safe as Irvine.

I'm a freshman at UCI right now and its pretty cool. If you are dorming though, it can get pretty dead on weekends since its a commuter school but theresstill parties if you know people. Theres not much to do around campus though, so having a car would make life a lot better.

Originally Posted by ChiHigh91

Originally Posted by yao11ming4mvp

for those who went there, who you consider transfering to UCLA
cause that's what I'm considering
I don't have personal knowledge/experience on this but I know for a fact that the acceptance rate for CC to UC is higher than UC to UC. I don't really know why, I'm just assuming that they'll think you're not committed to one goal. Wouldn't hurt to try though, my homie is trying to transfer from UCR to UCLA by next year. My sister went to Mt. Sac (CC) and got accepted to UCLA in 2008.
It is much harder to transfer from UC to UC than a community college to UC. I think it has to do with you already being in a UC, so you shouldhave all the top resources that you need, theoretically. It would probably be easier if you were studying at UCI but needed to go to a different UC becauseIrvine didn't have your major?

As for Kobe, I heard he works out in the morning at the ARC, and sometimes runs through the park in the middle of campus.

Originally Posted by jtbws15

I'm a freshman at UCI right now and its pretty cool. If you are dorming though, it can get pretty dead on weekends since its a commuter school but theres still parties if you know people. Theres not much to do around campus though, so having a car would make life a lot better.

nerd.gif
Me too dude. You live in Middle Earth or Mesa
But yeah, it can get boring on the weekends when everyone goes home. Good school nonetheless

graduated from there in 2005. loved it. people will tell you its a boring place. not true. just make the right friends.

Back
Top Bottom