Unemployed Nters: vol. what are u doing on the couch at 1 p.m.?

Originally Posted by wsupjs

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Turns out, being 23 with an MBA isn't as good as I thought.
= no experience.  You should only get an MBA with about 5 years experience minimum. Right now all you have is theory, which no one is willing to put you in a position of power and experiment with your theories. 
Now what's probably harder is that you're probably over qualified for the lower level jobs.  Try switch it up maybe, and don't mention your MBA, see how it goes, gain some experience then start dropping that degree.

Although if you went to a good business school, the alumni network and classmates of yours should be able to hook you up...

Oh I know. I was originally in a JD/MBA joint degree program and finished the MBA after withdrawing from law school. If I had realized I truly had no interest in the law and was just there for the potential paycheck (even though I was near the top of my class and on a full ride scholarship), then I would've waited to go back and get my MBA.

If I don't find something soon though, this does give me the opportunity to pursue PhD programs. I've been weighing that option for a couple months.
eek.gif

roll.gif
You'll end up a professor.  Seriously...if you have a phD under 30 with no experience. All you'll ever be able to do is be a professor....I hope you're cool with that. 

= no experience.  You should only get an MBA with about 5 years experience minimum. Right now all you have is theory, which no one is willing to put you in a position of power and experiment with your theories. 
Now what's probably harder is that you're probably over qualified for the lower level jobs.  Try switch it up maybe, and don't mention your MBA, see how it goes, gain some experience then start dropping that degree.

Although if you went to a good business school, the alumni network and classmates of yours should be able to hook you up...

Oh I know. I was originally in a JD/MBA joint degree program and finished the MBA after withdrawing from law school. If I had realized I truly had no interest in the law and was just there for the potential paycheck (even though I was near the top of my class and on a full ride scholarship), then I would've waited to go back and get my MBA.

If I don't find something soon though, this does give me the opportunity to pursue PhD programs. I've been weighing that option for a couple months.
eek.gif

roll.gif
You'll end up a professor.  Seriously...if you have a phD under 30 with no experience. All you'll ever be able to do is be a professor....I hope you're cool with that. 

baggin up, answering phones while on blacc ops.

theres money in these streets woah...gotta get it somehow

baggin up, answering phones while on blacc ops.

theres money in these streets woah...gotta get it somehow

Originally Posted by Fly Guy On A G5

TRUTH.

Theory doesn't matter at all these days; maybe it did for our parents. Gone are the days of being able to matriculate through college, right into a decent full time gig.

Get into the space during as early as possible, preferably during undergrad- either as n intern or entry level/assistant type work. At least that way, you'll have some solid connects within the industry of choice.

I just hired a new person to my sales team with 5 years experience in the industry, NO degree. We selected him over other candidates, 3 of which just completed their MBA but with no real hands-on experience.

The lethal combo IMO is having 3-5 years of work exp combined with an MBA. You'll have no problem with a one-two punch of education and work exp.

Originally Posted by Fly Guy On A G5

TRUTH.

Theory doesn't matter at all these days; maybe it did for our parents. Gone are the days of being able to matriculate through college, right into a decent full time gig.

Get into the space during as early as possible, preferably during undergrad- either as n intern or entry level/assistant type work. At least that way, you'll have some solid connects within the industry of choice.

I just hired a new person to my sales team with 5 years experience in the industry, NO degree. We selected him over other candidates, 3 of which just completed their MBA but with no real hands-on experience.

The lethal combo IMO is having 3-5 years of work exp combined with an MBA. You'll have no problem with a one-two punch of education and work exp.

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

TRUTH.

THISSSSSS.

Been tryin' to tell these fools in the IT thread about starting off with a gig early in their careers

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

TRUTH.

THISSSSSS.

Been tryin' to tell these fools in the IT thread about starting off with a gig early in their careers

I haven't been looking a job that hard but applied on Thursday for a good position @ Pepsi. Got a call trying to set-up an interview this upcoming week. Hopefully I get this position and it doesn't affect my school schedule that much.

But I pass my time by watching soccer in the afternoon, school, gaming on ps3, and doing focus groups sometimes.

I haven't been looking a job that hard but applied on Thursday for a good position @ Pepsi. Got a call trying to set-up an interview this upcoming week. Hopefully I get this position and it doesn't affect my school schedule that much.

But I pass my time by watching soccer in the afternoon, school, gaming on ps3, and doing focus groups sometimes.

I understand having the no work experience, but let's be real, it's not easy getting that experience. That's why I'm back in school, I can't envision doing nothing all day but applying for jobs that won't hire me, and I know they won't hire me. Might as well get some theory, because it looks like your a go getter more so than just applying all day with no hope of landing anything.

Just my thoughts.

It sucks. I've applied to hundreds of jobs, and I've had my resume checked over by Professors, Exeuctives of Companies, Politicians, HR people. I don't know what it is. I have internship experience and lots of voluntee work. Even started my own business while in school. (Property Management). Don't know what else to do.

I understand having the no work experience, but let's be real, it's not easy getting that experience. That's why I'm back in school, I can't envision doing nothing all day but applying for jobs that won't hire me, and I know they won't hire me. Might as well get some theory, because it looks like your a go getter more so than just applying all day with no hope of landing anything.

Just my thoughts.

It sucks. I've applied to hundreds of jobs, and I've had my resume checked over by Professors, Exeuctives of Companies, Politicians, HR people. I don't know what it is. I have internship experience and lots of voluntee work. Even started my own business while in school. (Property Management). Don't know what else to do.

I don't know what to tell you bro but goodluck finding something you
like. Where are you located by the way?

I don't know what to tell you bro but goodluck finding something you
like. Where are you located by the way?

Thanks man. Located in CT. Young people are fleeing this state in droves because there are no entry level jobs.

Gotta keep grinding.

Thanks man. Located in CT. Young people are fleeing this state in droves because there are no entry level jobs.

Gotta keep grinding.

Originally Posted by PoloLax

Just my thoughts.

Use your mouth piece and network with those same people. A politician can EASILY get you a job.

Just my thoughts.

Use your mouth piece and network with those same people. A politician can EASILY get you a job.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Just my thoughts.

That's what I thought...I've pressured everyone I know that is higher up somewhere in the job world. Politicians in all honesty don't give a damn about anyone it's all about themselves. When it's campaign time they want all your help, but afterwards it's all downhill. Unless of course you're working right beside them as a Campaign Manager/Cheif of Staff and those jobs aren't that easy to come by.

I'm fortunate to know some high up people and I think in a  good market it would have worked, but with the way everything is it's alot more difficult even if you do happen to know someone.

Maybe it's my luck.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

Just my thoughts.

That's what I thought...I've pressured everyone I know that is higher up somewhere in the job world. Politicians in all honesty don't give a damn about anyone it's all about themselves. When it's campaign time they want all your help, but afterwards it's all downhill. Unless of course you're working right beside them as a Campaign Manager/Cheif of Staff and those jobs aren't that easy to come by.

I'm fortunate to know some high up people and I think in a  good market it would have worked, but with the way everything is it's alot more difficult even if you do happen to know someone.

Maybe it's my luck.
eyes.gif

Back
Top Bottom