Unemployed Nters: vol. what are u doing on the couch at 1 p.m.?

I think most people are doing stuff on the side. That's what I'm up to right now. 
The days of chilling when I'm not working are cool to just chill out it gets boring real quick.

In reality I'd like to get a job in the fall, my money situation is fine for now. Sounds crazy but I'm not dying to work some 9-5 

I think most people are doing stuff on the side. That's what I'm up to right now. 
The days of chilling when I'm not working are cool to just chill out it gets boring real quick.

In reality I'd like to get a job in the fall, my money situation is fine for now. Sounds crazy but I'm not dying to work some 9-5 

Originally Posted by PoloLax

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I understand having the no work experience, but let's be real, it's not easy getting that experience. That's why I'm back in school, I can't envision doing nothing all day but applying for jobs that won't hire me, and I know they won't hire me. Might as well get some theory, because it looks like your a go getter more so than just applying all day with no hope of landing anything.

Just my thoughts.

It sucks. I've applied to hundreds of jobs, and I've had my resume checked over by Professors, Exeuctives of Companies, Politicians, HR people. I don't know what it is. I have internship experience and lots of voluntee work. Even started my own business while in school. (Property Management). Don't know what else to do.
Use your mouth piece and network with those same people. A politician can EASILY get you a job.

That's what I thought...I've pressured everyone I know that is higher up somewhere in the job world. Politicians in all honesty don't give a damn about anyone it's all about themselves. When it's campaign time they want all your help, but afterwards it's all downhill. Unless of course you're working right beside them as a Campaign Manager/Cheif of Staff and those jobs aren't that easy to come by.

I'm fortunate to know some high up people and I think in a  good market it would have worked, but with the way everything is it's alot more difficult even if you do happen to know someone.

Maybe it's my luck.
eyes.gif

that's people.

Originally Posted by mondaynightraw

I understand having the no work experience, but let's be real, it's not easy getting that experience. That's why I'm back in school, I can't envision doing nothing all day but applying for jobs that won't hire me, and I know they won't hire me. Might as well get some theory, because it looks like your a go getter more so than just applying all day with no hope of landing anything.

Just my thoughts.

It sucks. I've applied to hundreds of jobs, and I've had my resume checked over by Professors, Exeuctives of Companies, Politicians, HR people. I don't know what it is. I have internship experience and lots of voluntee work. Even started my own business while in school. (Property Management). Don't know what else to do.
Use your mouth piece and network with those same people. A politician can EASILY get you a job.

That's what I thought...I've pressured everyone I know that is higher up somewhere in the job world. Politicians in all honesty don't give a damn about anyone it's all about themselves. When it's campaign time they want all your help, but afterwards it's all downhill. Unless of course you're working right beside them as a Campaign Manager/Cheif of Staff and those jobs aren't that easy to come by.

I'm fortunate to know some high up people and I think in a  good market it would have worked, but with the way everything is it's alot more difficult even if you do happen to know someone.

Maybe it's my luck.
eyes.gif

that's people.

i heard some people will put key phrases at the very bottom of their resume in 2 font white letters to get hits. those HR folks are typing in key phrases so it's like a reverse spam

i heard some people will put key phrases at the very bottom of their resume in 2 font white letters to get hits. those HR folks are typing in key phrases so it's like a reverse spam

I'm also considering going back to school. But realistically I'd be looking at 2012 or 2013 at the earliest...before then I need to work for at least a year and get going...

I'm also considering going back to school. But realistically I'd be looking at 2012 or 2013 at the earliest...before then I need to work for at least a year and get going...

Originally Posted by acidicality

Study part-time.  That's what I'm doing now. 
It ain't easy...but it's got to be done...

Originally Posted by acidicality

Study part-time.  That's what I'm doing now. 
It ain't easy...but it's got to be done...

so i had a interview on friday i felt it went alright, she said she talk with the other managers and get back to me its monday and no word when should i call? im thinking tomorrow?

so i had a interview on friday i felt it went alright, she said she talk with the other managers and get back to me its monday and no word when should i call? im thinking tomorrow?

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by wsupjs
TRUTH.

Theory doesn't matter at all these days; maybe it did for our parents. Gone are the days of being able to matriculate through college, right into a decent full time gig.

Get into the space during as early as possible, preferably during undergrad- either as n intern or entry level/assistant type work. At least that way, you'll have some solid connects within the industry of choice.

I just hired a new person to my sales team with 5 years experience in the industry, NO degree. We selected him over other candidates, 3 of which just completed their MBA but with no real hands-on experience.

The lethal combo IMO is having 3-5 years of work exp combined with an MBA. You'll have no problem with a one-two punch of education and work exp.
FALSE. 

Your words are misleading.  Theory is still rather important.  Nothing has changed, in most industries, theory is still VERY important.  It's just now there's a whole lot of new industries (due to technological advances) where it's not so important.  But ask anyone in here who is a property developer, investment banker, lawyer, architect, doctor, etc...  ALL of them will tell you, you ain't gettin hired with out that education. 

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Originally Posted by wsupjs
TRUTH.

Theory doesn't matter at all these days; maybe it did for our parents. Gone are the days of being able to matriculate through college, right into a decent full time gig.

Get into the space during as early as possible, preferably during undergrad- either as n intern or entry level/assistant type work. At least that way, you'll have some solid connects within the industry of choice.

I just hired a new person to my sales team with 5 years experience in the industry, NO degree. We selected him over other candidates, 3 of which just completed their MBA but with no real hands-on experience.

The lethal combo IMO is having 3-5 years of work exp combined with an MBA. You'll have no problem with a one-two punch of education and work exp.
FALSE. 

Your words are misleading.  Theory is still rather important.  Nothing has changed, in most industries, theory is still VERY important.  It's just now there's a whole lot of new industries (due to technological advances) where it's not so important.  But ask anyone in here who is a property developer, investment banker, lawyer, architect, doctor, etc...  ALL of them will tell you, you ain't gettin hired with out that education. 

im on a hiatus since im in school but as soon as summer hits back to best buy lol Im glad i quit my fulltime job at citi bank it was getting me nowhere i was 21 and made 29,000 good money just not getting nowhere

im on a hiatus since im in school but as soon as summer hits back to best buy lol Im glad i quit my fulltime job at citi bank it was getting me nowhere i was 21 and made 29,000 good money just not getting nowhere

My boy just called me saying they're running a background check on me.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic, not because I have any blemishes, but because i'd rather not get excited...yet.

My boy just called me saying they're running a background check on me.

I'll remain cautiously optimistic, not because I have any blemishes, but because i'd rather not get excited...yet.

i just started back working about a month ago and my unemployment was getting ready to run out it came just in time and the pay is 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
good luck to all you guys i wish you the best and keep your head up..............

i just started back working about a month ago and my unemployment was getting ready to run out it came just in time and the pay is 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
good luck to all you guys i wish you the best and keep your head up..............

Back
Top Bottom