Unpopular Opinion(s) Thread

He went and got braids and it put him on the map. To quote Eminem(who I don't consider a culture vulture) "do black music and make myself wealthy"

What’s the different though between someone of white skin (or brown skin) partaking in creating music in a specificgenre that’s predominantly black, and a culture vulture?

I come in peace

Last edited:
What’s the different though between someone of white skin (or brown skin) partaking in creating a specific music genre that’s predominantly black, and a culture vulture?

I come in peace
Think it mostly has to do w appreciate for the culture and having respect for the black artists rather than making hip hop music because it is trending or they feel they can make a lot of money from making hip hop music.

A good example can be mac miller vs mgk as rap artists. Mac was a fan of rap since a child, worked and was friends with other black artists while mgk stopped considering himself hip hop after beefing w eminem and then started making bad rock music
tickets%20to%20my%20downfall_machine%20gun%20kelly.jpg

I like that explanation, it makes sense.

In that example idk if I’d say Posty is a culture vulture.. he seems like too much of a genuine nice dude to make hip hop mainly because it makes him so much money. His #1 song has a black artist on it, which I don’t think would happen if the majority of artists really felt like he ain’t respect the genre and black culture like that.

After his recent video going viral of him playing some good country covers tho, I’m sure this accusation against him will come up more and more if he drops a small country cover EP or something to please the fans who would enjoy that stuff from him.

MGK is garbage, musically all around. Smh

Twitter circles, Instagram close friends etc is making social media worse. It will end up being worse than the algorithm changes and taking feed out of chronological order

Echo chambers within echo chambers.

A friend of mine recently went to a conference in Colorado (yes the same one referenced before) and this conference was for People of Color that want to get into leadership. (Political and Education based leadership)

She said the amount of, "Woke Liberal talk" that took place in that meeting was so unbearable to the point she had to stand up and ask people why are we spending so much time talking about, "The man this, the man that" vs. Actually getting trained to do what we came to here for.

She was also like people are so pressed to lead in with all of these identifiers that it almost scares off anyone that isn't of that same ilk. She was like, why are the non-liberal folks not speaking? Everyone's voice should be heard.

I told her that's just the world we are in at the moment. Opposing views aren't really encouraged to be shared depending on the space you're in.

“YoUr OpiNIOn is VAlID aS lOng AS i AGreE witH iT”

I still think a large chunk of the "Woke" crowd simply says what they think they are supposed to say vs. How they actually feel.

People are so scared of being labeled conservative for ANY reason/point that they are willing to just go along to fit in.

We are in a highly performative era.

I still think a large chunk of the "Woke" crowd simply says what they think they are supposed to say vs. How they actually feel.

People are so scared of being labeled conservative for ANY reason/point that they are willing to just go along to fit in.

We are in a highly performative era.
I don’t usually agree with a lot of what you say but I agree here.

Back
Top Bottom