Unpopular Opinion(s) Thread

I read something like the amount of lithium available is not able to sustain electrification of all vehicles by Californias deadline.

Nike doing collabs with Travis Scott was a knee jerk reaction to Kanye doing collabs with adidas.

Travis Scott as an artist is mediocre and the Nike collaboration was more to capitalize on his popularity at the time due to his relationship with one of the Kadarshians.

I read something like the amount of lithium available is not able to sustain electrification of all vehicles by Californias deadline.
:lol:
Not only that, but our damn grid is being ran by a military of hamster wheels .. they’re already asking people to stop charging at peak hours (afternoon / early night) to help keep the grid up.

Not only that, but our damn grid is being ran by a military of hamster wheels .. they’re already asking people to stop charging at peak hours (afternoon / early night) to help keep the grid up.

That's why we have to pay for firm (less weather dependent) generation along the way while we grow renewables. Enough gas, nuclear, or whatever it is to avoid this issue

Which is exactly what's happening. The big policy claims of carbon free by 2050 are made to spur competition and technologies (and garner votes) but the whole process is and will be market driven

Tesla is considering building a lithium refinery in Texas. Currently 50+% of lithium refining is done in China. As far as raw lithium goes - Australia, Chile, and Argentina are the top producers by a wide margin; China is #4

The idea for the long term is that a large number of batteries are able to be recycled, reducing the need for new lithium

2022 and we’re still having rolling blackouts. I’m supposed to believe in 13 years they’ll not only magically solve that issue but also be able to support the added ev vehicles they want folks to have?

5B8EE963-3FBE-4EDD-B475-3BE252D4D17D.jpeg

2022 and we’re still having rolling blackouts. I’m supposed to believe in 13 years they’ll not only magically solve that issue but also be able to support the added ev vehicles they want folks to have?

5B8EE963-3FBE-4EDD-B475-3BE252D4D17D.jpeg
:rofl: every time someone brings up the EV change law I just laugh like “yeah it either ain’t happening or it’s gonna be a disaster and they’ll say jk after like a month or two”

Me personally I’m gonna try and get as low mileage a Tacoma as I can in the next 10 years, pay it off.. and they’ll hopefully be hauling my coffin in the damn thing when I die.

If CA had the tariffs and tech in place EVs could help lessen the shortages and make money for their owners during those hours. Likely they will some day

No one is going to be forced in to an EV before infrastructure is ready to support it. If Cali isn’t ready they’ll move the date. They’re using the date to spur innovation and investment

Oh nah I like those kits. They had some at work recently and I crushed one. I mean those vacuum sealed ones with no oil or water and the meat compressed.

:rofl: every time someone brings up the EV change law I just laugh like “yeah it either ain’t happening or it’s gonna be a disaster and they’ll say jk after like a month or two”

Me personally I’m gonna try and get as low mileage a Tacoma as I can in the next 10 years, pay it off.. and they’ll hopefully be hauling my coffin in the damn thing when I die.
I’m looking to do a current gen GX460 down the line for myself. Run that thing long as I can cuz I’m planning to be driving something with ICE till I can’t anymore. I’m honestly wondering what’ll happen if/when the EV deadline can’t be met in CA and what the options for actual ICE vehicles will be then.

If CA had the tariffs and tech in place EVs could help lessen the shortages and make money for their owners during those hours. Likely they will some day
Exactly. People do seem to realize that unlike ICE, electric motors can also be turned into generators with the right circuitry. In addition, renewable power sources + storage is another proven way to charge EVs and it doesn't require connection to the grid.
No one is going to be forced in to an EV before infrastructure is ready to support it. If Cali isn’t ready they’ll move the date. They’re using the date to spur innovation and investment
And utilities are preparing themselves to handle the mass adoption of EVs.

what y’all are overlooking is that the grid is currently an absolute failure in the summer. Rolling black outs, advising us to literally not charge EV’s during the main hours people would / should, etc.

And at the SAME TIME they’re making this date a thing. The whole country is laughing at us and they don’t even know how bad the grid truly is because I haven’t heard many others outside of CA mentioning how bad things would be if it even went live before we solve this issue.

What a mess. And to see any CA resident sorta just shrug their shoulder or try to justify / make sense of announcing it now or even setting a date before our grid is fixed is laughable.

^ and I haven’t even mentioned people like my mother in law who live in Oroville, their area runs on electricity partly from PGE but mainly from the dam at the lake.. which they had to turn off because of the extremely low water level.

So we’ll have lots of people who will face electric issues due to our lakes shriveling up as well.. and yet our grid can handle them + more EV’s? :lol:

Socially, some of us are petrified of publicly agreeing with ANYTHING people you don't politically agree with say/believe.

It doesn't have to be 0 vs. 100%.

Pearl clutching over the state of the grid in 2035...

Based on that mindset should we just give up on all future innovation? The electrical supply chain needs to be significantly bolstered with or without increasing EV adoption

The load requirements of more EVs are a bit overstated. The cars mostly charge at night when electricity is plentiful and cheap. The harder solve is what to do with the older apartments with a bad grid and city places that only have street parking

Charging speed/availability for people who drive > 200 miles a day for work is also important as is finding ways to help apartment dwellers and low income people manage the transition

CA needs to get the easy charging infrastructure built and price parity figured out. I think they are at least betting on the latter by the deadline

Yeahhhh.. if EV’s aren’t the issue then why would they ask people specifically NOT to charge during peak hours?

Back
Top Bottom