Unpopular Opinion(s) Thread

feel free to quote what I said & state why you think it's a strawman

(I didn't realize this started 4 pages ago. Looks like most of this has already been hashed out)

Teachers aren't over paid ---> a lot of teachers are BUMS ---> because a lot of teachers are bums they aren't overpaid, seems to be the point you're attempting to make

It's terrible circular logic. And that's assuming the % of bum teachers is that much higher than any other line of work. I'm not convinced that it is

If the goal is to attract qualified, intelligent, and committed individuals, teachers need to be paid on par with other professions

Pay should be set such that it attracts quality, rewards quality not just tenure, and dissuades turnover. Well paying school districts have less turnover and vacancies

No teacher is expecting to get rich doing the job. They are simply asking to be able to be paid in line with the rest of the country

(I didn't realize this started 4 pages ago. Looks like most of this has already been hashed out)

Teachers aren't over paid ---> a lot of teachers are BUMS ---> because a lot of teachers are bums they aren't overpaid, seems to be the point you're attempting to make

It's terrible circular logic. And that's assuming the % of bum teachers is that much higher than any other line of work. I'm not convinced that it is

If the goal is to attract qualified, intelligent, and committed individuals, teachers need to be paid on par with other professions

Pay should be set such that it attracts quality, rewards quality not just tenure, and dissuades turnover. Well paying school districts have less turnover and vacancies

No teacher is expecting to get rich doing the job. They are simply asking to be able to be paid in line with the rest of the country

Well, i didn't say that at all. I'm not saying they aren't underpaid bc they are bums.

I'm saying a lot of current teachers are lucky to be teachers due to the shortage & decided to become teachers bc they didn't have a better option. Kids in the US can't read or write or know math for **** but the people we absolutely can't blame are their teachers. You know how ridiculous that sounds to non-americans?

I literally said multiple times here that we should increase the pay to attract higher quality & pay more to teachers we believe are making a difference in our kids lives but somehow you missed those posts.

Iggy Azela bad as ****...with or without the fake ***.

I don't care I don't care
C801D15B-657C-4B80-9AFD-C34B4099536C.gif

Well, i didn't say that at all. I'm not saying they aren't underpaid bc they are bums.

I'm saying a lot of current teachers are lucky to be teachers due to the shortage & decided to become teachers bc they didn't have a better option. Kids in the US can't read or write or know math for **** but the people we absolutely can't blame are their teachers. You know how ridiculous that sounds to non-americans?

I literally said multiple times here that we should increase the pay to attract higher quality & pay more to teachers we believe are making a difference in our kids lives but somehow you missed those posts.

I’d say the reverse is the true. Most other highl developed countries value their teachers. It’s a very coveted job and one that the young people actually want to get into. There is a level of respect expected out of kids toward the profession so it’s not just a pay thing. We have a catch 22 problem with a bunch of scrub teachers…but no one in their right mind goes into the profession anymore because of how little we value it as a society. They’d rather either do a different profession or do something like expensive private tutoring so they can help kids + be respected + get paid enough to live a decent life.

I’d say the reverse is the true. Most other highl developed countries value their teachers. It’s a very coveted job and one that the young people actually want to get into. There is a level of respect expected out of kids toward the profession so it’s not just a pay thing. We have a catch 22 problem with a bunch of scrub teachers…but no one in their right mind goes into the profession anymore because of how little we value it as a society. They’d rather either do a different profession or do something like expensive private tutoring so they can help kids + be respected + get paid enough to live a decent life.

I agree with that

But then why didn't you post this instead of your $200k for teachers post?

I agree with that

But then why didn't you post this instead of your $200k for teachers post?

I think paying teachers that much would solve for the same problem if all other salaries for others stay the same (eg retail still 40k and doctors 300k+).

It’d make the field extremely competitive and we’d have some of the best talent and diligent people wanting to be in the profession. Teaching should be a meritocracy like anything else and stuff like tenure and low performers is terrible to have in such an important part of our society.

People would also respect teachers a whole lot more because in the US we place our respect mostly based on a capitalistic mentality of money.

The US is kind off a farce and not really built on the false idea of excellence they put out in the world in multiple areas including education.

Back
Top Bottom